Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
By ERIC FORRER

On May 14, I filed suit against the commissioner of the Department of Revenue. The state was preparing to release in excess of one $1 billion of federal emergency funding on the basis of recommendations made by a single legislative committee.

The funds had never been appropriated by the full Legislature, as required by the constitution.

This action was so clearly unconstitutional that several members of the Legislature warned against it, as did the legislative legal office. The Legislature was in session but had been in prolonged recess, and it was apparent that they were prepared to let the responsibility for spending the funds go to the committee and the governor, abdicating their constitutional duty.

This threatened action had, and now has, potential for long-term harm. Our constitution is the basis for a stable society, with everybody operating under the same rules.
If leadership willfully creates structures that are plainly unconstitutional, then different populations in the state are living under different rules. There is a word for this, if it escalates: it is tribalism.

There are ghastly shadows here, like Rwanda. State leadership consciously solving political problems by creating unconstitutional structures is a dereliction of duty, a violation of their oath of office to support and defend the constitution, and constitutes treasonous behavior.

In some fields of endeavor, notably politics and law, things are not always what they seem. So when I filed the suit against the impending actions of state leadership, what was it? Was it an attack? Was it an attempt, as virtually every newspaper headline said, to prevent the federal funds from being distributed to the people? Was it somehow trivial and or self-serving, as claimed by members of the Legislature?

No. What it was, in fact, was a gift — the gift of a political tool to the leadership of the Legislature. Using the threat of the suit, they were able to summon the will to convene the legislature after a 50-day recess, something that had not been possible in the crisis atmosphere.
Given this very real crisis, you would think that the members of the Legislature and the administration could gather the courage, the intellectual capacity, and the political will to dispense the funds in a constitutionally appropriate manner. It is in their and the state’s interest to have a long term defensible and constitutionally conforming track record.
As far as the use of the suit as a political tool was concerned, it almost worked. But, sadly, pathetically, they just couldn’t relinquish their decades-long habits of ideological battle and their refusal to cooperate with each other for the sake of Alaskans. What crisis? Better to complain about having to do the job they wanted to get elected to do and stage a charade session with no content.

Both houses passed unconstitutional law to underpin the release of the emergency money. The legislation is unconstitutional because it is not an appropriation bill as clearly laid out in the constitution. Instead, the legislature did something they called “ratifying” the existing committee work. But “ratification” is not found in the constitution. Ratification has no legal or constitutional definition, was invented on the spur of the moment, and does not contain any of the protections that an appropriation process provides.

Not all the leaves have fallen from this tree, and we’re into a long game now.
The threat of unconstitutional solutions to political problems will escalate. Will the governor be able to do whatever he wants, claim “need” and “extreme time pressure,” and get it “ratified” by a compliant Legislature after the fact?
Alaskans should not tolerate this. Instead of bringing out the desperately needed better angels of political leadership, the world health and financial crisis will become a partisan tool, the public welfare be damned.

For this reason I will proceed with the lawsuit in the expectation that the courts will make it clear that the legislature cannot shirk their duty under the constitution.
I make prayers to the Raven that we will be able to stop the use of unconstitutional political chicanery and the consequent dangerous slide into tribalism.

https://mustreadalaska.com/why-i-sued-the-state-over-release-of-covid-19-funds

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lengthy, will have to gather my wits in the morning and absorb this. Too late tonight

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by johnn
Lengthy, will have to gather my wits in the morning and absorb this. Too late tonight

Should not take long to gather your wits. Start with the nit part though, your only other (half-wit) part is bigger.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Sitka Queer

You haven't gathered your wits to date!

GFY

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sort of a different version of pass it and we'll see what's in it later.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cisco1

Sitka Queer

GFY

Ahhhh...

From you, a total retard pretender, I am proud to differentiate myself.

I saw your pathetic POS stock blank on the classifieds when you posted it and bit my lip and tried to pretend you were not that disgusting and maybe I did not see it completely... despite your total lack of a clue about your pimping.

Now I am not so sure.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14933374/1

Now I am forced to look at your stuff tighter and try decide if you are ridiculously stupid or a con artist.

Right now I am guessing a ridiculously stupid con artist is the right answer. Please enlighten the masses with quality, tight pictures of the entire blank and I will be happy to describe EXACTLY why that POS is not exhibition grade. Understand, I am not guessing and can put some serious descriptions of grain for those unaware of the facts.

While you are at it, feel free to search my posts over most of the last two decades describing the differences between air-drying and kiln-drying. And after you absorb those facts please take a few pictures of the flats on your blank. Gotcha!

GFY!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by cisco1

Sitka Queer

GFY

Ahhhh...

From you, a total retard pretender, I am proud to differentiate myself.

I saw your pathetic POS stock blank on the classifieds when you posted it and bit my lip and tried to pretend you were not that disgusting and maybe I did not see it completely... despite your total lack of a clue about your pimping.

Now I am not so sure.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14933374/1

Now I am forced to look at your stuff tighter and try decide if you are ridiculously stupid or a con artist.

Right now I am guessing a ridiculously stupid con artist is the right answer. Please enlighten the masses with quality, tight pictures of the entire blank and I will be happy to describe EXACTLY why that POS is not exhibition grade. Understand, I am not guessing and can put some serious descriptions of grain for those unaware of the facts.

While you are at it, feel free to search my posts over most of the last two decades describing the differences between air-drying and kiln-drying. And after you absorb those facts please take a few pictures of the flats on your blank. Gotcha!

GFY!!!

Fugh me... I forgot the liquor stores are open 24 hours in anchragara.......! I know, liquor fuggs with a lot of people, dont give up help is on the way... laffin.....!

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,175
Posts18,503,209
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.