Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Yeah, at that velocity, pressure should be OK; thanks for the info.

MM

Unfortunately I tossed my brass i used i had it marked because primer pockets were loose. After this shoot on Saturday will snap pictures of the brass.

Hey J, what kind of accuracy are you getting with the load you plan on using Saturday?

I’m done with this thread..

Last edited by 79S; 05/27/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

cool your jets,

AR-comp with this 73gr bullet on the high side of charge doesn’t get near the accuracy as h4895.

You get your back up to easily whenever someone says something not to your thinking....................when it come to reloading (most anything) there's almost always more than one good solution, & various people have various perspectives.

There's no doubt that H4895 can be accurate; what I mean when I say I really don't like it in an AR is because of the sharp recoil impulse; I use it & like it in a bolt gun.

Rock On.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Yeah, at that velocity, pressure should be OK; thanks for the info.

MM

Unfortunately I tossed my brass i used i had it marked because primer pockets were loose. After this shoot on Saturday will snap pictures of the brass.

Hey J, what kind of accuracy are you getting with the load you plan on using Saturday?

I’m done with this thread..

This has actually been an informative thread. Thanks to guys like you and mm and others for sure. It made me go out and buy 1000 hornady bthp match bullets and do a little testing of my own. Hopefully others found it to be informative as well..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by beretzs
I couldn't get the 75 grain Hornady HPBT to shoot real well in a pair of AR's. So I tried some of the 77 TMK's which have been real good in the past and they shot better. I'd try a 100 of both before you decide, just cause either is a great bullet, seen both the 75 Hornady and 77 TMK work on coyotes up to deer pretty well. The Hornady is a pile less expensive, but if it doesn't shoot, it doesn't do you any good.

For me the 75gr HPBT doesn't do as well when pushed too fast. Try 23.5gr of Benchmark; that does about 2650-2680 fps in my 16" 223 Wylde barrel, and is more accurate than any of the 77gr SMK loads I found for the same barrel. With that said, the 69gr SMK was easy to find a good load for - a max charge (per Western Powders 6.0 5.56 load data) of XTerminator & seat to 2.255"; that one and the 65gr SGK shot consistently better than any of the 75/77gr stuff in that barrel, and considerably faster too. I did not have very good luck with the 69gr TMK, although I was hopeful. That's a 1:8 barrel, which is enough twist for all of the above, but the tipped bullets end up with so much jump to the lands that I think that's the problem.

Exactly on the 75. Don't expect to push it hard, it gets wonky when pushed hard. That said I probably have a couple thousand loaded at maybe 24 of RL15, not really smoking hot and it works well enough.
77 smk beats it accuracy wise all day long. We got the 75s at good prices in the day so I used quite a few, actually used other H bullets by the cases, but the 75 we used for game.

I've shot enough with either 75 bthp and 77 smk that either will work fine.

I"ve seen a Boone and Crockett buck killed with 69 smks.... bang flop. No bones hit, well maybe ribs but nothing major. Around 177 net IIRC. Almost 50 inches of mass.

I"ve never seen or shot TMK.

Bringing this one back to the top. A lot of good conversation here. Rost, im going to try your 24gr load, but ill work up to it. 24.1gr is max in the hornady book.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was at the range yesterday working out some guns & ammo, shot 77g SMK's in factory IMI Razorcore, 77 gr SMK's, Nosler 77 gr CC, & Hornady 75 HTBP, all with 22.8 gr AR Comp.

Did not chrono, but from the past, the SMK & Nolser both go around 2727'ish with that load from an 18" barrel.

All 4 loads shot to essentially same POI at 100 yards with a composite 4 shot group of of the dirrent loads of about an inch.

That is with a WOA, 1-8 barrel...................that's the kind of barrel I like as I absolutely hate finicky barrels that will only like a particular bullet, with a particular powder, with a particular primer on any given day. Those kind of guns & barrels go down the road real quick like for me.

FWIW

MM

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Was at the range yesterday working out some guns & ammo, shot 77g SMK's in factory IMI Razorcore, 77 gr SMK's, Nosler 77 gr CC, & Hornady 75 HTBP, all with 22.8 gr AR Comp.

Did not chrono, but from the past, the SMK & Nolser both go around 2727'ish with that load from an 18" barrel.

All 4 loads shot to essentially same POI at 100 yards with a composite 4 shot group of of the dirrent loads of about an inch.

That is with a WOA, 1-8 barrel...................that's the kind of barrel I like as I absolutely hate finicky barrels that will only like a particular bullet, with a particular powder, with a particular primer on any given day. Those kind of guns & barrels go down the road real quick like for me.

FWIW

MM

You're making me jealous with that AR Comp statement. I was bragging about finding 4 lbs of it at 1 store. That was 2 months ago, now its gone!!! I cant find it anywhere around here. RL 15 is plentiful Here. Going to the range right now im planning on shooting 10 shot groups for load development. I find all of my ars shoot sub moa 4 shot groups. Even my most finicky ar10 308. I just dropped the rl15 loads, as im not into weighing every charge on a 223. We'll see how it goes. Mm, have you shot many 77TMK's?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some, not a lot, think I got a box of 250 a while back............not much different than SMK's, just more $$$ & to fit a magazine, you are right at the edge of the ogive when they are seated.

Might be a tad better just for hunting, pigs or whatever, but for anything else, the gain isn't worth the $$$ to me for ranges <600 yds or so..................I shoot more Hornadys & Noslers than Sierra's, mainly just because the differences are not huge in performance & they are cheaper. Prolly whatever is available right now though, though I have a good stock on hand right now.

SMK's seem to have a small edge in consistent accuracy, same for Bergers but also more $$$.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just dropped the rl15 loads, as im not into weighing every charge on a 223. We'll see how it goes. Mm, have you shot many 77TMK's?
Can you see any difference on paper between weighed & dumped charges of RE-15?

Politics is War by Other Means
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shot some 73 ELD's the other day over the chrono with a charge of 24.5 grs of TAC and got decent accuracy and 2700 fps in my 16" barrel. It got my attention as there were no pressure signs at all so I might pursue it further...

77's of all flavors are disappointing on 600 yard steel at 2625 fps in my 16" barrels. Can't hear the whack.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
I shot some 73 ELD's the other day over the chrono with a charge of 24.5 grs of TAC and got decent accuracy and 2700 fps in my 16" barrel. It got my attention as there were no pressure signs at all so I might pursue it further...

77's of all flavors are disappointing on 600 yard steel at 2625 fps in my 16" barrels. Can't hear the whack.

I love the 73gr eld match bullet. I found they were quite a bit cheaper than the old reliable 69gr smk. I'll keep buying those sierra's though, as all of my ar's love them. Even my finicky bastid Noveske... I stopped using the 73 ELD for a while, doe to poor penetration tests, but hell if a 73gr bullet doesn't do a good enough job, I don't know what will... They are extremely accurate in my rifles. My new Colt sporter target model loves them, even more so than the 69gr SMK, so I better not give up on that bullet. Recently I bought about 600 of the 73's and another 1000 69gr SMK and still have about 400 of the 1,000 75gr Hornady btsp match bullets left. Sometimes I wonder IF I'll find a stellar load with the 75gr hornady. I'm about ready to pull my damn hair out with that bullet. Good thing I got a smoking hot deal on them!!!!

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I just dropped the rl15 loads, as im not into weighing every charge on a 223. We'll see how it goes. Mm, have you shot many 77TMK's?
Can you see any difference on paper between weighed & dumped charges of RE-15?

Yeah, in my 9.3x62mm I did:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
laugh wink

BSA MAGA
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.