Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Building a new chicken run off the back of my barn, and want to set the corner 4x6 posts in concrete. Dug the holes last night, and this morning there is 6 inches of water in them. Scooped it out, they refill in a couple hours. Thinking there is no way concrete will set up in that?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Concrete will setup/cure under water. It does not 'dry' as most seem to think. You'll be good to go.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
How deep? I've set posts in wet holes just putting the quickcrete in dry (unmixed) and tamping it.

MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Building a new chicken run off the back of my barn, and want to set the corner 4x6 posts in concrete. Dug the holes last night, and this morning there is 6 inches of water in them. Scooped it out, they refill in a couple hours. Thinking there is no way concrete will set up in that?

Maybe load up a sonotube with the concrete out of the hole. Let it cure, then drop it unto the hole. Basically, a pre-cast pier just like a number of pre-cast pier products in the market. (ETA: Sounds like concrete in the hole as others suggested would be easier!)

Might also want to consider a j-bolt and 4x6 bracket instead if putting the wood in the concrete, if its that wet.

Last edited by duck911; 05/29/20.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
How deep? I've set posts in wet holes just putting the quickcrete in dry (unmixed) and tamping it.

I considered doing just that, but wasn't sure if that was a good idea. Holes are about 3ft deep.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's not the best situation. But the concrete is heavier than the water and it'll push the water out the top of the hole when you fill it. Make the concrete on the tight side instead of real loose. For a fence post it should be fine.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 05/29/20.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Standby for Art Peck to give you the full ASTM on building a chicken coop.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keep the wood above ground level if you want it to last anytime at all. If your going to all of this work do it right and have peace of mind. Pour your footers and use some simpson ties to tie your posts to the footers.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I fugging hate wood posts in concrete.

Hate em.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It doesn't matter if there is water in the hole. Just said the post and dump a couple bags of sacrete in there and add some more water. It doesn't need to be perfectly mixed. It will also absorb water from the surrounding soil and set up with that moisture too. Be sure and use treated lumber.

Tarquin
IC B3

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Keep the wood above ground level if you want it to last anytime at all. If your going to all of this work do it right and have peace of mind. Pour your footers and use some simpson ties to tie your posts to the footers.

+1 easy enough to pour your footers and even set the post brackets in the concrete if you choose to. If not a lot of bracket options with a simple concrete bolt/anchor setup also.

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I fugging hate wood posts in concrete.

Hate em.

Why is that Jim?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by duck911
Originally Posted by xxclaro

Maybe load up a sonotube with the concrete out of the hole. Let it cure, then drop it unto the hole. Basically, a pre-cast pier just like a number of pre-cast pier products in the market. (ETA: Sounds like concrete in the hole as others suggested would be easier!)

Might also want to consider a j-bolt and 4x6 bracket instead if putting the wood in the concrete, if its that wet.

Really? You don’t know how siding works or attached and you’re an expert on this? Wow

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Alberta ?
What's the frost line there? Here we need to set posts at least 42" to be below ours.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd poor the concrete a little higher than grade, embed some kind of anchor to the top of it, and then set the post on top of the footing rather than inside of it. To me, inside is asking for it to hold water and rot in time. on top, it stays dry, but if anything happens you can always replace it without disturbing your footing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by duck911

Really? You don’t know how siding works or attached and you’re an expert on this? Wow

No worries, he missed the corner post part I think....and maybe everything else...

This should be a good thread, the engineering requirements for building a chicken run should be spot on with the aptitude available here....

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A chicken house is barely a notch above a dog house when it comes to budget and technicality . Lol

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 05/29/20.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I'd poor the concrete a little higher than grade, embed some kind of anchor to the top of it, and then set the post on top of the footing rather than inside of it. To me, inside is asking for it to hold water and rot in time. on top, it stays dry, but if anything happens you can always replace it without disturbing your footing.

That is what I did for a trellis around my carport. I put threaded rod in the concrete and made anchors out some decently heavy angle iron I had. Eventually its gonna rot and as you say its easier to replace that way.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cheesy

So you've really never built a fence with wood corner posts it appears...

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Where did I say I was an expert? I was simply pointing out that theee pre-cast options (including diy). And while not cheaper, they can be muchfaster. Being used more and more around here in the winter.

And, I'd not stick the wood in wet ground like Jim Conrad suggested.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.