Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Can people even get tested so they can travel to go fishing?

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You can certainly get tested. Although I don't know if that has any bearing on whether you get to travel or go fishing.

I got tested a while back, because I got to go to the hospital to get treated for shingles. My timing is as good as ever.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Should add that there is more than one test. The covid test, and the antibody test, which would tell you if you have already had it.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Calvin
Can people even get tested so they can travel to go fishing?

Pretty tough to get tested here in Idaho, in fact if you ain't real sick you will not get tested.

That new order that out of state travelers must have a Covid test within 72 hours of boarding a plane to AK that Dunleavy issued last night probably will be just as effective as a 14 day quarantine to keep folks from traveling there.

It certainly has been a challenge trying to keep our trip up on track, my flights have changed 4 times in the last month, now we are getting in to late to pick up the motorhome that has cost us a day on the front end of the trip, and the flight change to return home has cost us a day at the tail end of the trip as well.

No doubt I probably would of bagged it this year but I have a very close friend up there that took us all under his wing many years ago he is in poor health and this is quite possibly the last year he will be able to spend any time outdoors.
I would like to be there to be a part of it and express my appreciation and gratitude to the old timer.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
That’s that the issue is that I see. In major cities you probably can get a test but anyone in a more rural area is going to have a hard time.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I heard on radio yesterday that Alaska per capita testing is in the top 5 or 6 states. So presumably it should not be a problem in any place of reasonable facilities.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
The issue will be people being able to get tested 72 hours, and getting a result before getting on the plane to Alaska.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Correct, test results are taking 3 to 7 business days here in South Dakota where I am at.

So does the test has to be done within 72 hours or results back?

That is my dilemma as we were to leave Monday. Quarantine overnight as it was set to expire 6.2.

I think I am toast.

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Quarantine will not be lifted until the 5th of June.
And yes you will need to have a Covid test with in 72 hours of boarding plane as well as have the printed results to board plane.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/202...-they-be-tested-before-flying-to-alaska/

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
State of Alaska is really screwing this one up. Sorry guys.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Calvin
State of Alaska is really screwing this one up. Sorry guys.

Not making it up this year will surely be a bummer, and man am I gonna miss having a freezer full of Reds and Halibut if I'm not able to go.
I'm not scheduled to fly out until the 12th so I still have hope that something will change again for the better.

But it wont affect my livelihood in the least if I don't make it, I sure hope some how you, and all the other charters, guides,, fish freezers, tackle shops, stores, etc,etc….. find a way to make it through this mess with your business's intact.

Good luck Calvin, sending good vibes up that way for sure.

Last edited by dedity; 05/30/20.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a 15 minute rapid test, but criteria must be met. I do not think travel to Alaska is included.

Arcus Venator
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I have talked to all my June clients and they think they can get tested. Have pushed my start back to June 9 though.

It will be nice to get this party started. Hopefully everyone can make it.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the process of changing flights from 1st to 5th. Will find out Tues if I can get the rapid test for me and my son.

Arcus Venator
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Forces are pushing hard to get it from 3 days to 5 days. We will see if the .gov listens. Also need the cdc to ok testing for people without symptoms.

Gov didn’t think this one through well

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Testing and a negative response are no guarantee one won't come down with it tomorrow.

1Minute
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are correct, but since a lot of transmission occurs with asymptomatic persons, it will certainly help with the spread.

This virus is going to be around, for the near future. All the measures have allowed healthcare the time to better prepare for this virus.

Arcus Venator
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In a whirlwind of a week. My son and I find ourselves sitting in Juneau this morning preparing to take the next leg of our journey.

Airport was not an issue, showed our negative covid test, were told to quarantine until 11:55pm last night. Was asked to fill out the covid mandatory declaration online, but the link was down after checking numerous times.

Flights were 25 to 50 percent full.

Arcus Venator
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice. Have fun on your trip

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Its not worth it. I would much rather the state government simply would say f*** you to all the out of state visitors and to those Alaskan citizens who are directly or indirectly dependent on the recreation industry. It would be more honest that way. Instead they are pretending to be open. We are coming from New England and had a fishing trip scheduled for later this month. We are going to cancel. The three day turnaround is a joke even if we could get tested on demand. To wait until we get there to get tested means we have to sit in hotel looking at four walls for a couple of days waiting for test results. Of course, there is always the risk that someone on the plane tests positive forcing us into quarantine for a couple of weeks. And they expect us to pay for all of this with a smile on our faces. We love Alaska and go most years. But not this year. Between the extra effort and costs to say nothing of potential the whole thing being a waste of time, it is not worth it. I hope the Alaskan economy recovers but I suspect the damage of the virus and more importantly damage done by idiotic state governments (Alaska is not unique in this regard) will be felt for many years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (160user, 1Longbow, 204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 38 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,445
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.