Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by wildfowl; 06/02/20.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Remington 1100 with magazine extension. It will put a lot of lead in the air quick.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes I've had this happen recently.

The first thing I ask is if they are going to vote for Trump or Biden this November. If they laugh at the notion of voting for Trump, I laugh at the notion of helping them with their firearm question.

But, barring that they're not retards, I tell them the truth. Start with a 10/22. Learn to shoot, and keep it handy with at least two 10 round mags. If they want to advance from that, they should. However if you're going to have one gun in the house and one gun to let the whole family learn to use for all around purposes, that's my choice.

It should stay loaded with CCI Mini-Mags.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by hanco
Remington 1100 with magazine extension. It will put a lot of lead in the air quick.

Those are great single shots.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Handguns are very sorry substitutes for rifles or shotguns.

hand guns are only good to use to fight your way to a rifle/shotgun.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Ummm, no.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Ummm, no.

tongue in cheek Travis! that was my DI's favorite saying
sure wish there was a sarcasm button

Last edited by deerstalker; 06/02/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Thank God.

You scared me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
to the OP's first question.. yes i had my oldest brother call for advice last night. am shipping him a care package. a S&W 357, a ar15 , and a 12 gauge.
even though he is 83 i wouldn't want to be on the business end of his attention. couple years ago we had a contest with hand guns and he won. then we switched to rifles, he won. i beat him with the scatter gun. He was in the army when they stressed accuracy. he threw away his medals but i got them and cherish them like i do him.

Last edited by deerstalker; 06/02/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thank God.

You scared me.

BS you ain't sceerd of nothing!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You ain't witnessed the times that God has sent that lightning schit after me.

I don't golf or nothin'.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't golf or nothin'.

carry one of those umbrella thingies with a grounding strap like we used to have on cars in the fifties. and give a Nod to God once in a while grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't golf or nothin'.

If you weren't such a heathen and were nicer to Texicans,

God might not use you for target practice so often.

Geno

PS, if "He" wanted to hit you with a bolt, it would have happened already....

PPS there's still time for you to atone, before the next T-storm (I hear they happen a lot in Florida)

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don't discount the shorty 12 gauge rounds. They're reduced charge for lower recoil, but from 1-7 yards, extremely effective. Pair those with a coach gun and you've got a fool proof setup for an operator who doesn't shoot much, if at all. Easy to maneuver inside. Nothing to jam, can't botch loading, etc. And if you need more than 2 shots of #4 buck during a normal home invasion, and statistics say you almost nevet will, it's cause you goofed really bad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The Ruger PC 9mm Carbine looks like something easy to learn, and reasonably powerful.

Guns similar to M1 .30 carbines are very much underappreciated as HD guns. These type of weapons are a great choice.

I have that covered with a 10 shot lever action in 327 mag. Or its bigger cousin in 41 mag. True Old West assault rifles. The 327 is the 30 carbine revitalized.

There is no denying usefulness of lever gun chambered for revolver cartridge for HD. New models have ghost ring sight systems can accept, low power scopes or dot sights and have rails for light mounting. Certain ones like .454/45LC or .44Magnum/.44Special can be used for both hunting and HD. Another big advantage is these can be taken along for interstate travel such as RV vacation and will be legal in most places visited. Not something that can be said of semi-autos with large capacity detachable magazines.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
For novices, and for defense of a home or place of business, I recommend a 12 gauge pump if they will shoot a few rounds of clay birds or a 10/22 if not.

Forget the AR15. A 12 gauge is deadly enough at shorter ranges and they won't know how to hit something at longer ranges with a rifle. They might even forget how to load it.

Shot: I recommend #6, not buck. #6 in the face at 50 yards will stop any perp.

Someone posted that a 12 gauge kicks too much. Not so. I shoot at least 100 rounds in less than two hours, at least twice a week.

Handguns: Good only if they need something out and about, and if they have CCW in their state. I recommend a revolver. Semis are complicated.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yes I've had this happen recently.

The first thing I ask is if they are going to vote for Trump or Biden this November. If they laugh at the notion of voting for Trump, I laugh at the notion of helping them with their firearm question.

But, barring that they're not retards, I tell them the truth. Start with a 10/22. Learn to shoot, and keep it handy with at least two 10 round mags. If they want to advance from that, they should. However if you're going to have one gun in the house and one gun to let the whole family learn to use for all around purposes, that's my choice.

It should stay loaded with CCI Mini-Mags.

That makes a lot of sense deflave. The US Army came to a similar conclusion in 1941 and adopted the M1 carbine. The are a lot of similarities between the Ruger 10/22 and the M1 carbine.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Strongly second the "range time". Wife and her sister (62 and 67) do not have the hand/wrist strength to manipulate the slide on a Kimber 3" 9mm, G19, G43, S&W M&P. They are able to manage the slide and ergos of a Walther P22...

Make sure the in-laws (husband and wife) are able to actually put the weapon into service. Not have it taken away and used on them...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beginner?
Double action revolver, 22mag-38 special, a 38 preferred

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 68 invisible), 3,321 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,505
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.