Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I never could understand why people want to buy firearms to protect themselves (at home or out in the world), but DO NOT want to take the time to become proficient with the firearm. It's like buying a car, and saying you don't want to learn to drive. INFURIATING to someone that works behind the counter at a gun shop.

While I keep a handgun at home for personal defense (I also shoot about 400 rds a week), I find "non-gun people" generally buy shotguns for home defense. That said, a loaded, unlocked shotgun is dangerous to leave around (children, grandchildren, etc), and a unloaded shotgun is useless at 2am, and most newbies would NOT be able to quickly load after just after waking up, under pressure (home invasion). For that reason, i've become a big fan of rapid safes, for safe, loaded shotgun storage, especially for those that don't take the time to become proficient with their weapon. YMMV. -TomT

Rapid safe (shotgun version):

https://www.hornadysecurity.com/rapid-safes/shotgun-wall-lock#!/

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Revolvers are some of my favorite firearms. I also have a Mil Spec 1911 that stays handy, and other things.

But my first line of defense at present is a 5.56 Kel-Tec SU-16 carbine that has proven to be exceptionally reliable.

Of course,..I live in 1950's rural Kentucky. So I really don't expect to have to use any of them.

Are you a novice?

Not hardly.

Just talking about yourself?

Again.

My point is,...rifles are vastly superior to handguns for any type of defense. Semi auto rifles are even better if they're reliable.

Of course, you know that,...but you just can't resist attempting to bait me into a discussion where you can launch into one of your nightly displays of chuckleheadery.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TomT
I never could understand why people want to buy firearms to protect themselves (at home or out in the world), but DO NOT want to take the time to become proficient with the firearm. It's like buying a car, and saying you don't want to learn to drive. INFURIATING to someone that works behind the counter at a gun shop.

While I keep a handgun at home for personal defense (I also shoot about 400 rds a week), I find "non-gun" people generally buy shotguns for home defense. That said, a loaded, unlocked shotgun is dangerous to leave around (children, grandchildren, etc), and a unloaded shotgun is useless at 2am, and most newbies would NOT be able to quickly load after just after waking up, under pressure (home invasion). For that reason, i've become a big fan of rapid safes, for safe, loaded shotgun storage, especially for those that don't take the time to become proficient with their weapon. YMMV. -TomT

Rapid safe (shotgun version):

https://www.hornadysecurity.com/rapid-safes/shotgun-wall-lock#!/

I'm amazed that myself and siblings ever managed to survive knowing their were loaded guns in the house.

Same for my kids.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

My point is,...rifles are vastly superior to handguns for any type of defense. Semi auto rifles are even better if they're reliable.

Of course, you know that,...but you just can't resist attempting to bait me into a discussion where you can launch into one of your nightly displays of chuckleheadery.

Keep in mind the key limiting factor: novice.

noun
noun: novice; plural noun: novices
a person new to or inexperienced in a field or situation.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

There are plenty of reasons that people prefer handguns to long arms for the purposes of home defense. Same for vehicles.

I'm not baiting anybody into anything. I'm trying to help the OP.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Keep in mind the key limiting factor: novice.

noun
noun: novice; plural noun: novices
a person new to or inexperienced in a field or situation.

P

Yeah,...I know. But there's not much to operating a semi auto carbine.

A: Load the magazine.

B: Stick it in the rifle.

C: Pull the bolt handle back then let go of it.

D: Pull the trigger over and over again.

It's not rocket science.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
deflave, I guess YMMV is a new term to you?

ALSO, I'm talking about neophytes, and i'm thinking you HAD firearms training. Hell, I shot a field dressed my first deer at 7, most people that I deal with on the day to day are NOT gun people.

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Get them a chance to shoot a 20 gauge shotgun.

If it fits them they should have no problem when the time comes to use it.

And while some folks say the only shot size to use is 00,0 or some other large size if shot at wallboard they will be amazed at the damage that 71/2 or 8 size will do.

Pitt bull dogs don't like that combo out of a 20 gauge i can tell you.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I don't know anyone that I can think of who doesn't own a gun. I have been asked by people from work. I always recommend a pump shotgun or metal frame 9mm pistol.

I don't think those are the best choices, but they're the best most would actually buy. Better than a Glock at least. I always tell people Glocks are why cops can't hit anything and to not buy one unless they are willing to practice a lot.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still think this is one of the best home defense mechanisms ever devised.

Only prerequisite: a basic understanding of the English word "front".

Manual of Arms: Clack!

Malfunction recovery: Clack! Clack!

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TomT
deflave, I guess YMMV is a new term to you?

ALSO, I'm talking about neophytes, and i'm thinking you HAD firearms training. Hell, I shot a field dressed my first deer at 7, most people that I deal with on the day to day are NOT gun people.

No it isn't.

But I think it's silly to tell a novice that their home defense weapons have to be kept under lock and key.

And that is why I posted what I did.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
How many burglars have you blood trailed?

I've only "blood trailed" two people. Neither one was a burglar.

What that has to do with a novice's choice in weaponry escapes me.

Not much escapes you. What you do is by design.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
I don't know anyone that I can think of who doesn't own a gun. I have been asked by people from work. I always recommend a pump shotgun or metal frame 9mm pistol.

I don't think those are the best choices, but they're the best most would actually buy. Better than a Glock at least. I always tell people Glocks are why cops can't hit anything and to not buy one unless they are willing to practice a lot.

I feel sorry for anybody that believes you know WTF you're talking about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't read the thread but I vote for 12 gauge shot gun. #4 goose load in the face will ruin a bad guy's day.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Love threads like this!!!!!

20" barrel full butt stock Pump 12 ga and 4 buck for a cherry.
Ammo and practice with bird shot low fps stuff at 1st
Progress up to big boy loads they can handle.
Ammo and practice
Ammo and practice
Ect ect ect.
Everyone starts somewhere
Some wayyy younger, some waaaay older.

Get some training classes
Or have a competent mentor.

Then the cherry stem sticking outta their head gets a little shorter as they gain experience.
And Upgrade to other rigs possibly.

JMO...
Just like all others on here.

Last edited by renegade50; 06/02/20.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by logcutter
Heck,I think a good dog is as important as anything..Takes the element of surprise away...Then you have time to get the fire power needed...lol

Absolutely.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by cv540
In the last month I have had three different relatives contact me asking about what to buy for home protection.
All three are couples who have never owned a firearm previously, and never felt the need.

Seems the Wuhan virus has made people very uneasy, and those that werent affected by that have become uneasy with the recent riots.

Two of them purchased prior to talking to me, making my advice kind of moot. The third I will talk to later today.

Both selected 9mm pistols, one a Glock and one a S&W. Probably whatever the salesman recommended.

My advice would have been a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 but in talking to both they wanted something smaller.

(Probably interesting psychology- they want something to make them feel safer, but a shotgun seems to feel like they are over reacting. They almost seem embarrassed they are arming themselves.)

I talked about the importance of the right ammuntion, but both had already gotten FMJ 9mm loads, probably the only ammo the store had in stock.

I also talked with both about the importance of learning how to safely load and shoot whatever they get, but I think in both cases the guns they bought will be rarely handled or shot, that is the reality.

Wondering if many others here have gotten similar recent calls?

Also wondering what people here would recomend to someone in similar circumstances.

Given the criteria you have outlined I have to go with Travis' recommendation of a 10/22. They are easy to operate, easy to shoot and who knows after finding out how much fun can be had with one they may actually become more enthused with firearms.

While many of us here are comfortable with a shotgun, semi-auto pistol, or a revolver they can all be overly complicated and difficult to use to those not familiar with them.

Something I noticed many years ago - when the bolt handle on a 10/22 is released it sounds amazingly like the noise a pump shotgun makes when it is racked, I think that would give pause to anyone who heard it and may well deter any further action. My wife is an excellent revolver shot but she keeps a 10/22 near the bed for the reasons mentioned.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
For someone who's not going to become a gun enthusiast, but wants a good defensive gun around the house, a good pre-82 K-Frame S&W .38 Special with a four or six inch barrel stoked with premium +P ammo. Super simple manual of arms. Maybe have a gunsmith remove the hammer spur, just to make sure they never cock it manually.

[bleep] it TRH don't be recommending good guns to people who reaLLY DON'T WANT A GUN IN THE FIRST PLACE. Tell the to buy Rossi's or Tauruses, no point wasting good Smith's on closet gunowners now. MB

Haha. Truth.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
several years back a groid broke into a home on ocean drive, 10 yr old boy home by himself. he went to his room got his 10-22 and waited the groid opened the door and told him to give him the gun.... he did right literally right between the eyes. I would vote for a 22 for most women or kids.I keep an AR15 one side of my nightstand and an 870 on the side between it and my bed, and my sps101 on it all loaded, I'd grab my sps first.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
"The Warden" stated - "Just don't be a novice."
No novices in my family - taught the kids years ago, brothers grew up with guns.
Sister might qualify - I don't know. She grew up with 6 brothers, so she's plenty tough, though!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (117LBS, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,159
Posts18,502,954
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.