Page 3 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 22 23
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by GregW
Where I grew up in the country with goats, sheep, etc. , Any loose dog was shot on site. And the owner would have no problem with it.

Pits are not a dog persons dog. Why have one?

My take is women get pit rescues because they think they can change them. Just like dating an abusive cheating boy friend and/or husband. Many of the gals worship the ghetto lifestyle

Guys with insecurity issues own them because they think it makes them look tough.

Both groups weren't raised with animals and have zero experience living and raising and training and understanding animal behavior. They have no clue how to properly take care of and manage their animals and the project their feelings on them a lot. "Oh he would never hurt anyone and he loves children". Just clueless and dangerous group. Like giving an 8 year old a case of dynamite and a box of scorpions.

I have one animal under my care, a 9 year old pit. Best dog I’ve had. I trust her more than about all but 3 people on this planet.

Don’t say much for your friends.

Great dogs up until they ain’t then it’s a bit late in the game to recognize them for what they are.

There’s plenty of them to choose from at practically any animal shelter.

I will say that they are about the best hog dogs I’ve ever seen. None better IMO, for that and that only.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Pit bull, the best dogs out there. Some schitty owners though. Last dog that bit me was an ankle biter. Little bastard got me on the shin.

Thats what they all say.

There are no good pits. Unless they are dead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Hastings
We have one member on here that’s killed over 200 pit bulls.
He won’t post any pics or reply to me though.
I just want one pic and I’ll believe the other 199
I did reply to you and as a matter of fact. The post #14910381) was on 5-25-20 and I do have a few pictures which I would be quite reluctant to put out on the internet. It's not hard to eliminate up to 7 or 8 a year. If you are ever down this way I'll be glad to show you the 70 acre place the pits and their hybrids are raised. PM me with your phone number and I'll be glad to tell you all about it.

Do you think there’s a puppy mill in that trailer park?Or a dog fighting ring?
It's not exactly a trailer park. About 6 or 7 trailers scattered about on undivided heir property. There is just uncontrolled breeding of dogs. One year before I could kill them they had 3 running in a pack that killed every fawn within a half mile. They're not fighting or selling dogs to my knowledge. I learned by bitter experience many years ago not to report problems to dog owners or parents of bad kids. You would understand if you saw the setup. One gyp dog can raise you 10 a year easily. It's a constant issue.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by GregW
Where I grew up in the country with goats, sheep, etc. , Any loose dog was shot on site. And the owner would have no problem with it.

Pits are not a dog persons dog. Why have one?

My take is women get pit rescues because they think they can change them. Just like dating an abusive cheating boy friend and/or husband. Many of the gals worship the ghetto lifestyle

Guys with insecurity issues own them because they think it makes them look tough.

Both groups weren't raised with animals and have zero experience living and raising and training and understanding animal behavior. They have no clue how to properly take care of and manage their animals and the project their feelings on them a lot. "Oh he would never hurt anyone and he loves children". Just clueless and dangerous group. Like giving an 8 year old a case of dynamite and a box of scorpions.

I have one animal under my care, a 9 year old pit. Best dog I’ve had. I trust her more than about all but 3 people on this planet.

Last year visiting a friend in Montana who rescued a pit Mix 7 years ago. She bragged what a wonderful sweet dog it was. I met her dog a few times over the years but it was usually in her truck and seemed friendly . I had enough bad experiences with psycho pits to question her and she said her dog was the bestest and most loving dog.She grew up around animals and had horses too. We were out in her pasture and my griff was in my truck. She said let my dog out of truck and go for a hike with both dogs. I knew better but I let my griff, a great upland and waterfowl dog and a sweetheart, out of my truck. Her psycho pit was on my dog and it pinned to the ground by her throat within 10 seconds. My pistol was back in the truck. ( dumb me) I see the life slipping out of my dog and start kicking and stomping the pit but would not let go. I should have picked it up by its rear legs and slammed it against a nearby tree. Not thinking I dropped to my knees and jammed both thumbs deep into the pit's eye sockets and it let go and bit my left hand. I had to go to emergency room for a crushed bone on my hand and take dog to the vet for stitches.

Any pit off a leash that comes near me is going too get shot. Ive seen too many children horribly disfigured or killed by pits. Maybe a generalization but all Pit owners are dangerous too because they know absolutely nothing about their psycho animals.

Last edited by ribka; 06/02/20.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I did reply to you and as a matter of fact. The post #14910381) was on 5-25-20 and I do have a few pictures which I would be quite reluctant to put out on the internet. It's not hard to eliminate up to 7 or 8 a year. If you are ever down this way I'll be glad to show you the 70 acre place the pits and their hybrids are raised. PM me with your phone number and I'll be glad to tell you all about it.

It's not exactly a trailer park. About 6 or 7 trailers scattered about on undivided heir property. There is just uncontrolled breeding of dogs. One year before I could kill them they had 3 running in a pack that killed every fawn within a half mile. They're not fighting or selling dogs to my knowledge. I learned by bitter experience many years ago not to report problems to dog owners or parents of bad kids. You would understand if you saw the setup. One gyp dog can raise you 10 a year easily. It's a constant issue.

I know exactly what you’re describing.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

sounds like your typical high intelligence pit owners

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

jeebus

Keep it suppressed, noise and discussion thereof

The right cretin or convict will burn a barn for you.

I have a friend with a similar layout, about 135 acres, but with a string of one room hovels. Airstreams and trailers. Maybe a few dozen dumpy domiciles.

He gets a dog or two a year, a pit or muttly fugger.

Nothing like what you’ve dealt with though.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Shoot those m fers. Hate those dogs

GOD Bless America
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I have a pit bull=I am white trash, black, or a mud shark

GOD Bless America
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Buy that man a beer

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Quak
I have a pit bull=I am white trash, black, or a mud shark

Or got a house trailer full of drugs and a meth lab.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by marktheshark
My property is the second to last on a 3/4 mile dead end road with 4 houses/properties on it. End of the road is about 200 yds up the lane past my driveway and ends at a field on the back side of a 450 acre farm. Many have dumped unwanted "pets" at the end of the lane. Large quantities of cats and 2 pits have not made it past venturing onto my property, and the neighbor has dropped many more of both. Any other dog that doesnt act agressive is turned over to the animal rescue folks, cats dont get a pass as they have a trap neuter release deal that requires that they are released where caught and I and the owner of the neighboring farm refuse to have that. On a side note cat carcasses make excellent coyote bait around here!

Neighbor and I trap cats around here and take them up in the mountain to feed the coyote, roll the cage a bit let them go as must of them run flat into trees

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The way to get any dog to let go is disgusting but works. You put your finger up it’s butt. I know from experience that this works. Make sure you wash you hands afterwards.

[Linked Image from ]
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A gent I know has horses and had two very expensive saddles stolen from his barn. Upon bad advice he got a pair of rescue pit bulls and tied them on a long chains out front, to a tree.

After more stuff was stolen he let them run loose on his property. Came home one evening to find that the pits had killed 2 of his high dollar colts.

Learned later that evening the pits had attacked one of his workers who escaped up a ladder to the hay loft.

Fine dogs them pits are.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ConradCA
The way to get any dog to let go is disgusting but works. You put your finger up it’s butt. I know from experience that this works. Make sure you wash you hands afterwards.

Yep. Ole Blue can dish it out but he can’t take it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never had a pit never will, the last 4 dogs been rescued first 3 from my ex wife. She didn't take the first 2 when she left dumped them on me. Dog 1 was a Gordon setter bitch who had a hot nose and was a hunting fool couldn't swim and didn't really give a damn about retrieving she was the finest marking dog I've ever seen never lost a bird with her. She would fly to where they went down hunt them up stand on them and pull the tail feathers out till you showed up if they weren't dead. The absolutely most gentle dog you ever saw, I had to have her put down at 15. The black lab bitch she left was a break the glass in case of retrieve and never failed to do so but absolutely worthless as a flush hunting dog just a retriever damn fine one at that, died at 10.5 with stomach problems. Wasn't more than a month after our divorce was final that the ex bought a house and went to the pound and got a dog for our daughter at 4.5 years old. She picked flat coat retriever that some people dumped there when they got orders for a different base. Coal was only about 1.5 years old and way to active for a 4.5 year old girl. Bob to the rescue I knew they would off him at the pound and he was a retriever and a half. He learned logrythmically in the field and hunted well flawlessly retrieving anything you shot. At 8.5 or so Coal couldn't hunt any more he was having seizures, so I just let him be a dog he would follow me anywhere just happy to be with me. He slept in the house at night at the foot of my bed, he'd get up at somewhere between 2-4 and need out so I thought ,he 'd come on over and nose my elbow until I woke to let him out and 5 minutes he was ready to come back in went on for over a year. In Sept of 2014 he woke me twice one night and at 6am I sure felt like hell and only half there fed him and went to work. Wasn't at work for more than 10 minutes and my coworker asked me if I was all right and I told I didn't feel all that hot, long story short I was having a stroke. I got talked into getting checked out and was in the hospital for 2 days and 20 k worth a bills. The cardiologist wanted me to get a sleep test and I was diagnosed with sleep apnea so then Iwas prescribed a sleep respirator , slept well after that and wasn't until a couple months passed that I realized that Coal didn't wake me to go out anymore. I finally realized he never really had to go out but would wake me when I quit breathing in my sleep. He couldn't hunt anymore but he found another job just looking after me. Some dogs operate at higher levels than other dogs just like people. I come home after work one day in April and he was down in his kennel, he was in bad shape from a seizure so I picked him up and layed him out on the seat of my Tacoma for a trip to the vet , never made it out of the yard he licked my hand twice and died on the spot. . Last dog was a bitch English Springer Spaniel at 2.5 Ruby developed people issues which were going to be a problem. Pretty simple really a little narrow between the eyes and just like a woman she by god will pick her own friends and don't try to make friends with her ,when SHE decides your ok she will make friends with you. Ruby slowing way down with old age at 11.5. When she goes I'll get another hunting dog because you know a man without a dog doesn't have jack [bleep]. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Raising livestock I've had to kill more than a few dogs. Had sheep about a mile from a small town and truly got tired of shooting dogs but there is no other way. Some of the most aggressive towards folks I've seen were Rotts and Pits. We have had many "drop off" dogs show up too and have had to dispatch quite a few of those. But some of them have truly been great dogs. One a full Springer Spaniel beautiful riff raff dog. Another an old style American bulldog. Recently a very pretty Boxer that is a very sweet dog.

And then there is Mia a real live rescue Pitbull. After losing our old American my wife saw her at a "Rescue" website and just had to have her. She was nearly a year old already and had lived in a crate quite a bit. I told her not to expect a lot and she could easily misbehave. She full well knew I would put her down if any shenanigans happened.

She is an exception to the rule and one of the sweetest dogs we have ever had. Turning into a top stock dog too. She is hard on the coon and skunk population as a good country dog should be. Loves to ride on anything with wheels. Goes with me anywhere I let her. Never thought I would see a Pitt that was as sweet as a Lab but I guess we got lucky. She's a keeper.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by okie
Raising livestock I've had to kill more than a few dogs. Had sheep about a mile from a small town and truly got tired of shooting dogs but there is no other way. Some of the most aggressive towards folks I've seen were Rotts and Pits. We have had many "drop off" dogs show up too and have had to dispatch quite a few of those. But some of them have truly been great dogs. One a full Springer Spaniel beautiful riff raff dog. Another an old style American bulldog. Recently a very pretty Boxer that is a very sweet dog.

And then there is Mia a real live rescue Pitbull. After losing our old American my wife saw her at a "Rescue" website and just had to have her. She was nearly a year old already and had lived in a crate quite a bit. I told her not to expect a lot and she could easily misbehave. She full well knew I would put her down if any shenanigans happened.

She is an exception to the rule and one of the sweetest dogs we have ever had. Turning into a top stock dog too. She is hard on the coon and skunk population as a good country dog should be. Loves to ride on anything with wheels. Goes with me anywhere I let her. Never thought I would see a Pitt that was as sweet as a Lab but I guess we got lucky. She's a keeper.

We’ve one like this. I rescued her off the side of the road about 7 years ago. She was a bit wounded, but happily jumped into the passenger side of my truck. I’m not sure how to improve on her. She is just a good all around dog. We have had nary an issue. I have always kept a pretty close eye on her, though. She’s gets a LOT of interaction and time spent with her. Maybe that has made the difference? She hates cats, which I don’t mind, and she doesn’t like an outwardly aggressive dog. She will challenge an aggressive dog every time. She plays with any friendly dog that she comes across.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Long post. Sorry

In 2005 I got two blue pits that I didn’t want. One of my best friends was being deployed to Afghanistan and left them with me. Brother and sister. Layla and Congo were there names. They were absolute babies and loving as all get out. They loved my Boston terrier who was older than them. He ruled the roost at 15lbs. I never trusted them whole heartedly though. Had a healthy respect of what a pit bull could do. I lived on a farm and had 2 pot bellied pigs and a fainting goat that lived inside as well at the time. Congo loved laying to sleep with the pigs but was freaked out by the goat. Kinda funny how scared he was of the goat.

Both died young from lymphoma. Vet said due to severe in-breading. The male weighed 115lbs and the female 95lbs at their prime

They would have loved on you way before they would have ever hurt you. I was young and had friends coming and going all the time. They loved everybody. They were very gentle, and never hurt anything. Congo looked like a dang beast though. Huge muscles. Huge head. Very mean looking. Jaws like you can’t imagine.

I still miss them as they were amazing companions. If I still had them today, I wouldn’t let my 3 kids near them though unsupervised . Seen too much working ER from pit’s, labs, and German Shepherd. Yes lab owners get offended. Seen lots of bad bites from labs. Layla and Congo could easily kill a grown man if they wanted, very quickly as strong as they were. They never once gave me the impression they were aggressive either.

Had a pit bull wiener mix named Kami. About 40 pounds. Short but long. Brindled, muscled as hell. She was kinda finicky with adult males. Loved kids though. Died after she bit a trailer tire backing into the driveway. Would never bat a eye about letting my kids near her. She was an amazing dog. wish I knew how to post pics, you would laugh at how she looked. Like a caricature. Probably the best dog I have ever had, or maybe a tie with my Boston terrier buster. Coyote killed him, but I got revenge.

When I was a kid my parents had a pit named Gretchen, and a German Shepherd named Ben. Gretchen was super protective of us 3 boys, and would have killed you for hurting us or even acting like you would have hurt us. Biotch meant business if another dog approached us. Lived a long life as a lap dog. Ben died after he bit the UPS driver at about 2 years old. Dad said he couldn’t be trusted. He never hurt anyone prior to that, but met his fate to a browning high power. Talk about a life lesson as a kid

That being said. I have been around some wonderful pit bulls that were amazing dogs, but I have worked ER for 12 years and seen what they can do. In my opinion they are dangerous, as well as many other breeds. They don’t nip, they go for kill when they bite. Would never consider owning another. If one showed up in my yard I would be shooting it ASAP. Even as someone who has owned and loved a pit bull, I think the breed should disappear forever

Pit bulls aren’t meant to be pets. They are a tool for protection or fighting. Have been around them probably more than most, but don’t see them through rose colored glasses at all.

My wife’s yorkies drive me nuts. Miss my German wired hairs honestly

Last edited by kevinJ; 06/02/20.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Dogs with collars that come to me when I call them, get tied in the barn, and the owner called. All others become buzzard feed...

Page 3 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 21, 1234, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 57 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,399
Posts18,527,915
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.