Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Could have probably bought just about everything you need and more from one vendor at the market this morning Roy. There was an awful lot of used, quality American made tools on his tables.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by SamOlson
As a matter of principle I will not buy anything at a pawn shop.

Fuuck buying stolen chit.

Prolly in some of them Sam. Around here, a copy of every Pawn Ticket goes to LEO.

Buddy owns one. Mostly Guns, Ammo, and Archery gear.

I’ve watched him go in the back and call the Cops when he suspected the items were hot. He’d tell them he’s checking values. Have em wait. Then the Cops arrive. Seen them arrest more than a few.

C, it's not that sophisticated here.

I KNOW for a fact that the local pawn guys here buy stolen stuff all the time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Prolly in some of them Sam. Around here, a copy of every Pawn Ticket goes to LEO.

Buddy owns one. Mostly Guns, Ammo, and Archery gear.

I’ve watched him go in the back and call the Cops when he suspected the items were hot. He’d tell them he’s checking values. Have em wait. Then the Cops arrive. Seen them arrest more than a few.

C, it's not that sophisticated here.

I KNOW for a fact that the local pawn guys here buy stolen stuff all the time.

I’m sure there are still some bad ones around too. I wouldn’t buy anything from a POS like that either.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I am of the same mind cuzzin. Same with sheriff's auctions, etc. Bad karma attached to it. Been in a lotta arguments with buddies over the years about it, but I don't feel right swooping in like an Israelite to take advantage of someone else's bad fortune.

I had a friend in money troubles of his own making trying to liquidate to get some fast cash. Offered his 2.5" mod 66 for 200 bucks. I gave him 250 and said whenever he wanted it back it'd be the same, but I'd shoot it in the interim. Doesn't mean I'm a good guy, but I sleep guilt free most nights.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A while back someone asked about Tekton, and I responded that I had bought them and was pleased with purchase. Turns out I was wrong in the brand. I considered Tekton but went with Sunex impacts. So, if you are reading this ... grin

Made in Taiwan.

I bought full sets 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, SAE and metric, and couldn't be more pleased. I run them in front of new-gen brushless Milwaukee impacts, and they have been great.

Dropped a small one in the engine bay of my Duramax at one point, and it never hit the ground. May still be in there. Was able to get a replacement for a few bucks and re-complete my set. I liked that.

This is one of the sets I bought:

[Linked Image from sunextools.com]
https://sunextools.com/products/12-dr-12-pt-39-pc-sae-master-impact-socket-set/

As you can see, just sockets, deeps, shallows, a uni adaptor (handy), good case, nowhere near Snap-On money.

I also bought the metric equivalent, that one with some extensions.

I did this one in 3/8:

[Linked Image from sunextools.com]

My 1/2 and 3/8 ALL easily fit behind the back seat of the crew cab (keeps them out of view in the bed), along with a Milwaukee mid-torque.

A few years later, a set of injectors in the Duramax (the primary impetus to buy), some front suspension work, lots of tire rotations, etc., I would absolutely do it again.

Hard to imagine putting together a solid set of foundation tools onesy-twosy from pawn shops. I'd be much more after complete sets. Seems like a more practical approach.

If I were professional mechanic, I might consider Snap-On or Mac or the equivalent, but even there I have seen pros who have opined that from a practical perspective, you don't necessarily get a whole lot more for your money with those.

I can recommend Sunex.

Last edited by RickBin; 06/13/20.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I picked up a huge amount of combination wrenches and ratchets in the last year or two, all American made, for 50 cents each or less but it's time to complete the sets and get them into service.

Three thoughts that might help you since it helped me.

1. If you don't need them this week and doesn't sound like you do, check ESTATE AUCTIONS in your area.
Kids are just making space and trying to get a buck. There's usually less competition for the same items than many other sales making them cheaper. Besides THAT'S where lots of the flea markets get their better stuff and OLD TOOLS.
Old tools will Outlast us and everything short of Christ's second coming. The tools are usually better shape and cheaper.

2. Yard sales. Perfect time of year to shop as everyone is doing spring cleaning. I've gotten ancient tools that looked like museum quality that I felt guilty giving the asking price. Lastly but certainly Not least is the best.

3. Pray and ask God. I'm not going to assume anything since we are just neighbors getting to know each other.
If you are one to pray, Jesus told us about the Father and how much kinder He is than me or any of us are...Matthew 7. https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Matthew-7-9/
He taught us to humble ourselves and ask Him.

I finally started to take Him seriously and started asking Him AND surprised to get answers.

I had a bunch of rachets, extra too, but was missing some sockets that had cracked and a set similar to what you are asking about with sizes that I didn't have surprisingly. Now I'm not saying this to sell you mine because I need these. I just want to encourage and for you to get what you're looking for.

I asked the Lord specifically as if He were in my shop with me one day for the socket set and mini driver that I needed once in a while for mowers, etc.
Guess what Fireball?
Next thing I know, I'm driving down the road and at the busy intersection near a sport arena. I see something that caught my attention. After pulling into the parking lot, I looked down and saw a bunch of sockets strewn all over the road and a box off in the lot. There were no trucks around or jobs or I would have asked if they lost their socket set and helped pick them up.
I picked them up and put them in the insets of the kit. I was surprised to see that they were all there except for maybe one that I already had a duplicate of!!!
If I remember correctly they are Stanley commercial set that you'd not find at Lowes. I don't know if they are US made, but so glad.... not so much for what they are, but for the One Who obviously gave them to me.
Hope that helps you find what you are looking for Fireball.

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/James-1-17/

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Romans-6-23/

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/13/20.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Canvas wrench rolls are handy, BucketBoss.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Harry J Epstein Co. carries lots of choices and specializes in USA made. pricey but worth a look.
Harry J Epstein

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Canvas wrench rolls are handy, BucketBoss.

I second that, each of our vehicles has a roll filled with relevant tools.

I purchase the BucketBoss rolls through ebay.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a sickness and its a tool collecting one. Nearly 80% of my tools are Snap-On and Mac Tools with some Matco mixed in. Ebay, pawn shops, flea markets and 20+ years of searching. i even have a damn nice Snap-on box i bought the day a pawn shop owner decided to retire. He told me he was tired of the business and he'd sell me the box for what he paid and i bought the box for about 20% of what you'd pay off the truck. Store closed less than a week later. i'm proud of my tool collection. One of my first jobs welding i had an old hand tell me "Nothing like pride and ownership in your own tools". Ever since that day I've been on a mission to buy only good older tools. i still to this day search for good tools on the cheap. Keeps me busy

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was filling in some gaps in my tool collection 2 or 3 years ago, and had always wanted this Craftsman 176 piece socket set, so I finally got it. Like the OP said, most “sets“ throw in a bunch of cheap tidbits to drive up the piece count, this one is all sockets. Something under $150 IIRC.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

But if you really want to go whole hog in Craftsman, and I would have at the time if I knew this one existed..

One thing I’ll say about them though is, they come in a box without any sort of socket holder. Doing some research at the time on tool forums for devices to hold them, it can get real expensive! Oh, and it takes up a lot more room than I realized.

Last edited by bhemry; 06/14/20.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
bhemry.....those Craftsman sets are China tools.

Danaher/Apex used to make many of the ‘made in the USA’ brands. Sold out in 2012.

Masterforce (Menards) used to be made in the USA. They transitioned to foreign made, but a few clearanced tool kits still are available.

35 piece kit for $26(after rebate)........without Allen wrenches and nut drivers. Less than $1 per piece, made in the USA.

Not a large set, but still worth the money.

Tool kit link

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you've got time to scrounge pawn shops trying to build a socket set, time is not your game. Save the gas and just fix everything with an adjustable wrench and a hammer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
I picked up a huge amount of combination wrenches and ratchets in the last year or two, all American made, for 50 cents each or less but it's time to complete the sets and get them into service.

1. If you don't need them this week and doesn't sound like you do, check ESTATE AUCTIONS in your area.
Kids are just making space and trying to get a buck. There's usually less competition for the same items than many other sales making them cheaper. Besides THAT'S where lots of the flea markets get their better stuff and OLD TOOLS.
Old tools will Outlast us and everything short of Christ's second coming. The tools are usually better shape and cheaper.

2. Yard sales. Perfect time of year to shop as everyone is doing spring cleaning. I've gotten ancient tools that looked like museum quality that I felt guilty giving the asking price. Lastly but certainly Not least is the best.

3. Pray and ask God. I'm not going to assume anything since we are just neighbors getting to know each other.
If you are one to pray, Jesus told us about the Father and how much kinder He is than me or any of us are...Matthew 7. https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Matthew-7-9/

I finally started to take Him seriously and started asking Him AND surprised to get answers.

I had a bunch of rachets, extra too, but was missing some sockets that had cracked and a set similar to what you are asking about with sizes that I didn't have surprisingly. Now I'm not saying this to sell you mine because I need these. I just want to encourage and for you to get what you're looking for.

I asked the Lord specifically as if He were in my shop with me one day for the socket set and mini driver that I needed once in a while for mowers, etc.
Guess what Fireball?
Next thing I know, I'm driving down the road and at the busy intersection near a sport arena. I see something that caught my attention. After pulling into the parking lot, I looked down and saw a bunch of sockets strewn all over the road and a box off in the lot. There were no trucks around or jobs or I would have asked if they lost their socket set and helped pick them up.
I picked them up and put them in the insets of the kit. I was surprised to see that they were all there except for maybe one that I already had a duplicate of!!!
If I remember correctly they are Stanley commercial set that you'd not find at Lowes. I don't know if they are US made, but so glad.... not so much for what they are, but for the One Who obviously gave them to me.

I'm speechless......

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I spose that’s why you won’t door any bicycle riders in your part of the state, he may be riding your bicycle.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Guess what Fireball?

I'm speechless......

Hahahahaha

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Guess what Fireball?

I found a three way trailer hitch ball laying in the middle of a busy road about twenty years ago. Good times . I thought about fire Balls and his custom socket set back then . I knew one day he would come clean and tell us about his tool affliction.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Am needing three complete sets of sockets in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive. Shallow and deep, metric and standard. Have the ratchets and extensions, just need the sockets. I see shops around here with huge trays of loose sockets and am headed to town today to price them. Looking at American made only.

What do you think, PITA or worth the trouble? Guess it depends on what they want for them and what my time is worth.

If I buy new, do you guys have suppliers that let you build your own sets rather than having to buy a bunch of junk you don't need or want?

I have made my living with tools of all types for a few decades now. My rule of thumb has been If I need it go get it as it will pay for itself .If a bargain shows THEN buy it but otherwise do not sweat having everything on hand immediately. Buy as you need - one time use rent it or maybe a cheap HF tool.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

anybody that thinks god is answering prayers for socket sets......is more dangerous than blm and Antifa...….bob

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobMt

anybody that thinks god is answering prayers for socket sets......is more dangerous than blm and Antifa...….bob

You can thank prosperity theology and [bleep] like this guy for that.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,507
Posts18,472,347
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.