Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by oldcuss
Snow and Neally are still made in Maine and not
outlandishly priced as so many imports. Make a
good 2and1/4 pound "best quality" for a good
price - $59.
OldCuss

They are more assembled in Maine. The heads are forged in the midwest and shipped to Maine to be put together.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wish I could see you guys use a double bit to split some of the
wood I split. I

'm not about to tell you how it would go, I doing know.

I do know one thing, you or me, someone would get to learn something.

I have used an axe to split, had good luck with nice wood.

Also have had some where all you do is stick the axe so solid
it a rip to get out. Some, that after I "split" it with a mail, I cut
it apart with an axe. That crap (elm often, some oak) gets
the Husky treatment. Lay it on its side, make noodles.
Let them dry in the sun, there isn't a better fire starter.
Light them with a match like paper, they get hot!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Although Husqvarna and a few other Swiss brands make good modern axes, as does Council Tool - particularly their Velvicut line, my recommendation would be to find an old American made boy's axe. Brands to look for are:

Snow & Nealley (the old ones)
Kelly (True Temper) Perfect
Chemical
Sager
Simmons - Keen Kutter
Craftsman
Plumb
True Temper - Flint Edge
Collins - Legitimus
Wetterlings
Emerson Stevens

The steel used in these old axes is very high quality, they were forged by hand by true experts, and just about any old axe head can be restored if it hasn't been abused. House Handles has excellent quality American Hickory hafts in every size and shape imaginable - even octagons, and they will hand-pick one for you for a nominal up charge. I also know of a feller that sells excellent wedges in various wood species - I purchased several Osage Orange and Black Locust ones from him and I am very pleased.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help or suggestions if you decide to go this route - I've restored several and I have a box full of heads yet to complete, but no boy's axe heads at this time - other than the Apple of my Eye - an old Snow and Nealley that I always carry with me in the woods. There's many of these old axes to be found on flea-bay, and if you're a bit patient, you'll find what you're looking for at a reasonable price. You can find them in many other places as well - garage sales, farms, antique stores, flea markets, etc.

These old axe patterns work wonderfully and I much prefer them to any modern axe. + you'll be saving a piece of history and putting it to good use.

If you do decide to go the "vintage" route and you need to re-haft, don't forget the BLO.

Good luck.

Hej HN

As an axe aficionado have you heard of Rixford out of Vermont? I've a 1944 Maine Wedge Pattern that still does work in the woodlot behind the house. Seems to be one of the good ones.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by carbon12
Although Husqvarna and a few other Swiss brands make good modern axes, as does Council Tool - particularly their Velvicut line, my recommendation would be to find an old American made boy's axe. Brands to look for are:

Snow & Nealley (the old ones)
Kelly (True Temper) Perfect
Chemical
Sager
Simmons - Keen Kutter
Craftsman
Plumb
True Temper - Flint Edge
Collins - Legitimus
Wetterlings
Emerson Stevens

The steel used in these old axes is very high quality, they were forged by hand by true experts, and just about any old axe head can be restored if it hasn't been abused. House Handles has excellent quality American Hickory hafts in every size and shape imaginable - even octagons, and they will hand-pick one for you for a nominal up charge. I also know of a feller that sells excellent wedges in various wood species - I purchased several Osage Orange and Black Locust ones from him and I am very pleased.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help or suggestions if you decide to go this route - I've restored several and I have a box full of heads yet to complete, but no boy's axe heads at this time - other than the Apple of my Eye - an old Snow and Nealley that I always carry with me in the woods. There's many of these old axes to be found on flea-bay, and if you're a bit patient, you'll find what you're looking for at a reasonable price. You can find them in many other places as well - garage sales, farms, antique stores, flea markets, etc.

These old axe patterns work wonderfully and I much prefer them to any modern axe. + you'll be saving a piece of history and putting it to good use.

If you do decide to go the "vintage" route and you need to re-haft, don't forget the BLO.

Good luck.

Hej HN

As an axe aficionado have you heard of Rixford out of Vermont? I've a 1944 Maine Wedge Pattern that still does work in the woodlot behind the house. Seems to be one of the good ones.

I know it, a Canadian brand from days gone past.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Wish I could see you guys use a double bit to split some of the
wood I split. I

'm not about to tell you how it would go, I doing know.

I do know one thing, you or me, someone would get to learn something.

I have used an axe to split, had good luck with nice wood.

Also have had some where all you do is stick the axe so solid
it a rip to get out. Some, that after I "split" it with a mail, I cut
it apart with an axe. That crap (elm often, some oak) gets
the Husky treatment. Lay it on its side, make noodles.
Let them dry in the sun, there isn't a better fire starter.
Light them with a match like paper, they get hot!

I agree, DB aren't splitting axes.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
have you heard of Rixford out of Vermont? I've a 1944 Maine Wedge Pattern that still does work in the woodlot behind the house. Seems to be one of the good ones.

No, I haven't heard of them, but I really like the Maine Wedge pattern. Your '44 sounds like a Dandy. I'll keep an eye out for one. My old Snow & Nealley is a Maine Wedge and there's a new company in Portland, ME making very high quality Maine Wedge axes:

Brant & Cochran Allagash Cruiser

There's precious few American companies making high quality axes like B&C and it’s heartening to see small, privately owned companies reviving the nearly lost art of axe forging. I’m sure there was a steep learning curve for these fellers at B&C, as it’s been many decades since these skilled old blacksmiths have passed on and there’s not many accounts of how they accomplished their forgings so successfully. I may purchase one of their Allagash Cruisers, but it’s a bit difficult to justify the price when I have a box full of old axe heads awaiting restoration. However, I’d like to see this company succeed, so I may get one. Being American made, with American steel and American labor, they necessarily have to price their goods many times higher than the Chinese-made crap that is so pervasive in our country today. Well worth the price, but unfortunately, it puts their products way out of reach of the average American slob.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/19/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree w/ y'all that doubles aren't splitting axes, but if ya got some nice, straight-grained wood, they work well enough - particularly on some pine species. Any number of other single bits will out perform a double for splitting duty. Doubles have their place, but I don't use a double much.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
have you heard of Rixford out of Vermont? I've a 1944 Maine Wedge Pattern that still does work in the woodlot behind the house. Seems to be one of the good ones.

No, I haven't heard of them, but I really like the Maine Wedge pattern. Your '44 sounds like a Dandy. I'll keep an eye out for one. My old Snow & Nealley is a Maine Wedge and there's a new company in Portland, ME making very high quality Maine Wedge axes:

Brant & Cochran Allagash Cruiser

There's precious few American companies making high quality axes like B&C and it’s heartening to see small, privately owned companies reviving the nearly lost art of axe forging. I’m sure there was a steep learning curve for these fellers at B&C, as it’s been many decades since these skilled old blacksmiths have passed on and there’s not many accounts of how they accomplished their forgings so successfully. I may purchase one of their Allagash Cruisers, but it’s a bit difficult to justify the price when I have a box full of old axe heads awaiting restoration. However, I’d like to see this company succeed, so I may get one. Being American made, with American steel and American labor, they necessarily have to price their goods many times higher than the Chinese-made crap that is so pervasive in our country today. Well worth the price, but unfortunately, it puts their products way out of reach of the average American slob.

Wow. The Allagash Cruiser is certainly a beauty. Price point is above what I would could justify considering the Swedish. Finnish and American axes already in house.

Just going by what is shown in their video, the head appears to be a chunk of homologous steel unlike the state of the art axes of the past and current Gransfor Bruck axes.

However, the build philosophy /methodology is probably no different than the current Fiskars which I think are just fine.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Get yourself a 2 1/2 pound Hudson’s Bay axe. Handiest damn tool I ever owned!

Last edited by mrchongo; 06/20/20.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
An enjoyable read. USFS publication 'An Ax to Grind: A Practical Ax Manual'

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf99232823/pdf99232823Pdpi300.pdf

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RemModel8
I have my share of old heads and agree that you can assemble one for much 'cheaper' than buying an axe.

I also know some people have no desire to do so nor ability. I'd say I'm right about the 50% on rejects from House Handles. If I order from them and need 5 handles, I order a dozen so I'll get 5 good ones. That's how I did it in the past, I have since found a more reliable source.

Fancy wood wedges do nothing, but it does seem that people prefer to show off axes more these days than use them.

And what might that "more reliable source" be?

Seems I am looking for good handles every year or so.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
mch Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
duck,

you might try ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Plumb-Boys-Size-Axe-With-The-Original-Handle-Razor-Sharp-Ready-To-Work/114266988041?hash=item1a9ad7de09:g:gTUAAOSwk8Re7VZm

Search shows up a lot of options:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Plumb-Boys-Size-Axe-With-The-Original-Handle-Razor-Sharp-Ready-To-Work/114266988041?hash=item1a9ad7de09:g:gTUAAOSwk8Re7VZm

As others have suggested, flea markets, yard sales, estate sales, etc are options to find decent heads and the guys above have already suggested some sources for handles.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mch

thanks mch

In it is contentment

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by mch

thanks mch

Last time I contacted them, they only did wholesale to distributors unless you were local and you could go there.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have my share of old heads and agree that you can assemble one for much 'cheaper' than buying an axe.

I also know some people have no desire to do so nor ability. I'd say I'm right about the 50% on rejects from House Handles. If I order from them and need 5 handles, I order a dozen so I'll get 5 good ones. That's how I did it in the past, I have since found a more reliable source.

Fancy wood wedges do nothing, but it does seem that people prefer to show off axes more these days than use them.

Local place.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Local place.

I would guess by that that they are private, have no name, and don't do online business?

In it is contentment

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Local place.

I would guess by that that they are private, have no name, and don't do online business?

It's an Amish sawmill, I guess I could ask them if they have an online site, but I'm going to guess no. I could give you a number, but they don't have a phone either.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Amish,

that figures.

Probably good handles.

Thanks anyway.

No Amish here, or hickory, or much ash, and the local Mennonites farm, sell baked goods and nursery stock, but they don't make axe handles. Bummer, eh?

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,678
Posts18,493,839
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.