Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by rem141r
my boys are working part time on a buddies farm to make some side cash. they all went in together and bought an old tractor and found an old rake and bailer for free that they were able to fix. they did 600+ bales of hay the other day and will get $3/bail for it. going to take a couple harvests to pay for the tractor but they are already talking about something else. corn, etc. i love seeing them do that kind of stuff. work 10 hours at construction and then bail and stack hay until midnight. pretty rare thing for young men around here to do.

Warm's my heart young men thinking that way. Learn how to thread that bailer and don't ever let it run out of string. Threading and working on knotters ain't fun to learn in a hayfield with rain coming and 95 degrees.

Yep. Enjoy reading things like Chuck posted.

You described the joys of making hay pretty good, too.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
We are going to put a 1000 into grass the next few years.

Might not make big money with cattle....but you lose money at a slower rate than with wheat.

Cuzzin', you know as soon as we do it there will be $10 wheat...

But yeah, nice section or two of grass flowin' in the breeze with little or no yearly input costs.....

I'm not obsessed with money so whatever, break even on cows and hope the wife doesn't lose her job.........grin

#no bills, no worry

I got a half section north of the house I was gonna tear out and farm organic.

Big money!

Didn't do it.

I like grass better.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
JIm There is a market for "Organic " beef, no implants, no drugs. Just don't have any sick cattle.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The guy who owns the farm that adjoins my place has been alternating between soybeans and corn every year since I've been here. Corn was last year. He's planted beans this year.

Ask him how much bail out money he got.
Typically, big farmers around here move crops from one bin to another to defraud the government out of bail out money. Some of them have raked in over a million over the years. They can get more by putting the crops in kids' names, etc. So you can't really tell if you just look the farmer himself up. It's public information as to how much people get.

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Ed here not Jim. A classmate of mine has struggled raising organic beef and crops for years here in North Dakota. H e was a hippie with a dream that never really planned out. His wife had to drive thousands of miles a year trying to get rid of it at a profit. If you were near a huge city population it might work but it’s hard to fool country folks into believing the lies associated with organic stuff. Ed k

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
We are going to put a 1000 into grass the next few years.

Might not make big money with cattle....but you lose money at a slower rate than with wheat.

Cuzzin', you know as soon as we do it there will be $10 wheat...

But yeah, nice section or two of grass flowin' in the breeze with little or no yearly input costs.....

I'm not obsessed with money so whatever, break even on cows and hope the wife doesn't lose her job.........grin

#no bills, no worry

I got a half section north of the house I was gonna tear out and farm organic.

Big money!

Didn't do it.

I like grass better.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

" Search for farm subsidy recipients in the U.S."

EWG's Farm Subsidy Database EWG's Farm Subsidy Database

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Gotta keep the fat city dwellers fed cheap. That’s why they give farmers just enough so most can stay in business. I know you don’t want to hear that but facts are facts. Ed k

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Just reading all this with interest, what would I know about soybeans, or glyphosate? laugh
I've only been raising beans since 1962.

Different soils, different latitudes, different ways, different weather, different yields.

Same product.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by deflave
The guy who owns the farm that adjoins my place has been alternating between soybeans and corn every year since I've been here. Corn was last year. He's planted beans this year.

Ask him how much bail out money he got.
Typically, big farmers around here move crops from one bin to another to defraud the government out of bail out money. Some of them have raked in over a million over the years. They can get more by putting the crops in kids' names, etc. So you can't really tell if you just look the farmer himself up. It's public information as to how much people get.

How much do they usually get in your area?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ERK
Ed here not Jim. A classmate of mine has struggled raising organic beef and crops for years here in North Dakota. H e was a hippie with a dream that never really planned out. His wife had to drive thousands of miles a year trying to get rid of it at a profit. If you were near a huge city population it might work but it’s hard to fool country folks into believing the lies associated with organic stuff. Ed k

For the most part, organic farming is a joke. Some of the local Amish and Mennonites here claim to be organic farmers, but ask their neighbors about them, and you'll get a different story. I raise and sell some produce for the local produce auction, one the largest in this part of the country. Buyers come from as far away as Chicago and Atlanta. They want quality produce, and I've never seen organic grown stuff that was equal in quality to that which was grown normally.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by ERK

For the most part, organic farming is a joke. Some of the local Amish and Mennonites here claim to be organic farmers, but ask their neighbors about them, and you'll get a different story. I raise and sell some produce for the local produce auction, one the largest in this part of the country. Buyers come from as far away as Chicago and Atlanta. They want quality produce, and I've never seen organic grown stuff that was equal in quality to that which was grown normally.

Do you know anybody that grows soybeans?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The linked article says that China is buying beans from South America.

Who did South America sell their soybeans too before China started buying them? It seems to me that that market would still be available to someone.

Would not be surprised to learn that a certain amount of U.S. soybeans are being shipped to SA, and then off loaded / reloaded onto ships with a Gold Star...

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
I know lots of guys that grow soybeans. It’s a rotation crop for wheat and barley and corn. Canola is another rotation crop up here. The only problem with (all ) these guys people say move grain around is that your insurance numbers must match your gov reported bushels or you end up in a world of Schitt as a few up here have. Mostly non farmers claim that happens all the time. Ed k

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You'd think I could buy a farm for cheap.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Whiptail

You'd think I could buy a farm for cheap.

You can today, tomorrow it will cost more. Farms are as cheap as they are going to get.

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
A bank up here has about 6400 acres for sale. I guess the guy wasn’t to big to fail. How can you go broke with all that free gov money? Gus should ponder that for us. Ed k

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ERK
A bank up here has about 6400 acres for sale. I guess the guy wasn’t to big to fail. How can you go broke with all that free gov money? Gus should ponder that for us. Ed k

Bad luck, bad weather, diseases, etc.

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
The fact that grain prices have been the same for forty years while all the expenses have gone up five times what they were sure doesn’t help. Ed k

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ERK
The fact that grain prices have been the same for forty years while all the expenses have gone up five times what they were sure doesn’t help. Ed k

Grain prices have seen their ups and downs over the years, driven mostly by the weather and the market scares. I've sold beans from around $4 a bushel, all the way to $12, back when I was growing them. If I'm not mistaken, the highest price for soybeans has been close to $18. So, while we have seen some good prices, the fact is that they don't stay that way, nor does the price of grain go up accordingly to the price of the input required to put out a crop. Add to this the fact that most people who aren't farmers have absolutely no idea what all is involved in the production of any farm commodity.

Farming is the biggest gamble in the world, one that makes the Las Vegas crowd look like amateurs.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.