Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jpb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was gifted two ceramic kitchen knives by a good friend who I don't want to offend.

Unfortunately, she isn't particularly knowledgeable about knives, and both of these no-name knives have pretty much a mediocre edge (although they don't get dull, they are not truly sharp).

When I tried to remove the white skin from a pork tenderloin with the larger of the two knives, it was a pretty tough job. When I finished, the pork tenderloin looked like it had been run over with a lawnmower, and I wasted quite a bit of meat.

I have a good set of Japanese water stones for my woodworking, but they are nice and flat and that is the way I want to keep them so I'm loathe to use them on a blade as hard as a ceramic one.

I also have an assortment of DMT diamond hones ranging from one so coarse that you'd use it to sharpen said lawnmower blade, to really fine grit.

However, I don't want to shorten the life of my DMT hones either -- they are pretty expensive too. Can I sharpen these ceramic knives on diamond stones without shortening the life of the stones?

I've done some searching on the 'net and found lots of contradictory advice.

I now turn to the 'Fire, hoping that somebody has actual experience sharpening ceramic knives.

Perhaps the ceramic knives can't be sharpened to shaving sharpness? Am I wasting my time trying to improve the factory edge?

John

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I routinely dress any new ceramic rods I purchase on an EZlap diamond stone, hasn't caused any issues at all with the stone, and makes for a smoother finish on the rods.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't know the answer about ceramics or the diamond stones but you could try some Silicon Carbide sandpaper first and see what you can do. Glue a piece onto a flat piece of scrap wood and you have an instant albeit temporary "sharpening stone".....or just hold it down on a piece of plate glass, flat steel etc. If you have woodworking tools you could lay the sandpaper on your table saw or whatever. I'd start with 150 grit, then 300, then 600 up until you are satisfied or see that it is not working.

Last edited by RJY66; 06/26/20.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have any ceramic knives to try it on but the Worksharp has diamond belts made for ceramics.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
John,

I have never owned one but have used them. The ones I used were simply “sharp enough” for vegetable duty and were relegated to that for use.

The advantage being your tomato knife is never dull.

I’m sure some of the higher end ones get more razor like but for the duty you describe I’d stick to steel and a steel.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I think I've owned 3 ceramic pocket/EDC knives. My impression regarding trying to sharpen them is that about the time you get the feel and sharpness you want, the edge will chip, so I didn't even try.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,410
Posts18,470,373
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.