Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Morewood

Jefferson needs a deep-water port.

Why? A lot of very fine states don't have a deep water port.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by philgood80
The people in DC crying about a lack of senators and a non voting Rep need to be reminded that they voluntarily live there. No one forced that on them. And if we want to discuss the land surrounding the Gov complexes in terms of statehood, shouldn’t some of it go to VA and some to MD? They gave up land to form the District.

You want a senator to vote for?

Move!

The people in DC crying about a lack of senators and a non voting Rep need to be reminded that they voluntarily live there. No one forced that on them. And if we want to discuss the land surrounding the Gov complexes in terms of statehood, shouldn’t some of it go to VA and some to MD? They gave up land to form the District.

Move!

The District consists only of land given up by Maryland. Originally it included some land from Virginia. But after the Civil War, the Virginia part bacame part of Virginia again.

It has been suggested that Maryland take over the district but Maryland doesn't want it!

As for size, San Bernardino County in California is larger than Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island combined.

As for population, the county I live in has 2.5 times the population of the District of Columbia.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Move!

Move!

The District consists only of land given up by Maryland. Originally it included some land from Virginia. But after the Civil War, the Virginia part bacame part of Virginia again.

It has been suggested that Maryland take over the district but Maryland doesn't want it!

As for size, San Bernardino County in California is larger than Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island combined.

As for population, the county I live in has 2.5 times the population of the District of Columbia.

Yep. I had forgotten that. Give it to Maryland.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crescent City is deep enough. If not, dredge a channel.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Crescent City is deep enough. If not, dredge a channel.

If we're going to hypothesize about a redoubt named Jefferson why not think big? Might need an aircraft carrier to defend it.

IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The name will not be an issue. After a state becomes a state, what would stop the citizens thereof from naming it anything they want? Call it The State of St. GreorgeFloyd to get it passed and then rename it Jefferson.

By the way, the Constitution says any new state made out of existing states had to be approved by the Congress and also the legislatures of all the states from which you carve it out. Probably won't happen.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Indy, That very strategy was brought up in a Jefferson meeting I attended last year. A few people mentioned some of the pure hogwash titles of ballot issues in the past, and unfortunately, how many stupid voters fell for it. California Fire Safety Act, Clean Water Act etc etc. One crusty old guy thought the Jefferson issue should be sent to the voters with the title of State of Clinton until it passed. Guaranteed.....Landslide victory in LAX and SFO. But, we gotta make it before we name it, as you so rudely pointed out. Several times now, we have bypassed the legislature with ballot initiatives (gay marriage the most recent) only to have the sons of bitches on the California State Supreme court reverse the peoples vote.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (163bc, 257_X_50, 160user, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 69sportfury, 15 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,113
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.