Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Custer's saber is in a museum there.

JIt's engraved "Draw me not without cause. Sheath me not without honor."

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I just finished reading an original edition of "Following the Guidon," by Libby Custer.

OK, she's a litle biassed but you can't help realizing what ruthless savages the Indians were, killing and torturing women and children alike, and that Custer was a pretty competent commander overall. The book contains the lyrics and music of many songs and bugle calls, including Gerry Owen. It's amazing how hard life on the plains was then, even for the commander's wife.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"killing and torturing women and children alike,"

Always interested in this faction. According to Bent, he stated that both factions of the Cheyennes were not into torture as were the other tribes. He stated that of all the years he lived with them he only one time witnessed the women and children come out to torture/ desecrate a body. And that was of a Shoshone they had captured and killed.

He went on to state that usually the women and children (up to a certain age) were kept as captive. Grown male captives were just killed outright, there on the spot. He stated that they felt that torture was beneath them. I’m sure this is open to much debate.

One example he used were of the 4 white girls captured up on the Solomon river. The Germain girls. Two youngest were simply dropped in the grass when a patrol of cav came upon the party. The other two older girls were repatriated a year later. I believe this was in 1874-75.

He did also explain just how many captives they had amongst their different bands and how intermarried they were. Mexicans, a few whites, but also Pawnee, Poncas, and a whole lot of intermarriage of allies. Especially Assorted Sioux, Arapahoe, and Kiowa.

All interesting first hand accounts.

He was an exceptionally well educated fellow. As were his brother and sisters. He had attended schools in St. Louis as well as the academy there for 10 years. It was a very informative read.

I rememver he mentioned after the Julesburg Colo raid, one of the young warriors said they should now torch all the buildings.This was after they had looted and ransacked all the goods. One of the elders that was present stated absolutely NO! The proprietors of the stage lines and trading company would come in and resupply the place and then they could come again back next year and do the same thing all over ! Bent said for many weeks after that raid and also the Platte Bridge raid, Indians would come up to him and ask him what things were that they had looted, he would answer something like, " thats a can of peaches" . LOL!

Good stuff

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiseman_massacre
Just one example of some Indian torture of children.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Good example ruffcutt

Same went on here with Comanche and Kiowa.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 12344mag, 160user, 32 invisible), 1,773 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,048
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.