-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 8th amendment is the Delaware of the Bill of Rights.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
a lot of brave young men and women died, because they were told they were protecting the world from Communists. perhaps we should have kept them here. enlighten me on what really happened

All these years and decades, you've had access to the same information I had. I'm not going to spoonfeed it to you.

Here's a hint for ya: Turn CNN off once in a while. You aren't going to find the truth there.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Ringman

Why then did the NG get off? For some reason some of the facts have been lost over the years.

They didn't. The lawsuits could not establish who (if anyone) ordered them to fire, or who fired first, or even who fired and who didn't. Some fired high deliberately. But the guard itself, and its parent, the State of Ohio, had to pay $672,000 (if memory serves me) to the survivors of each of the victims.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Your “facts” don’t match the facts.

https://www.kent.edu/may-4-historical-accuracy

Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Don't pontificate about things you know nothing about.

The answer offered by the Guardsmen is that they fired because they were in fear of their lives. Guardsmen testified before numerous investigating commissions as well as in federal court that they felt the demonstrators were advancing on them in such a way as to pose a serious and immediate threat to the safety of the Guardsmen, and they therefore had to fire in self-defense. Some authors (e.g., Michener, 1971 and Grant and Hill, 1974) agree with this assessment. Much more importantly, federal criminal and civil trials have accepted the position of the Guardsmen. In a 1974 federal criminal trial, District Judge Frank Battisti dismissed the case against eight Guardsmen indicted by a federal grand jury, ruling at mid-trial that the government's case against the Guardsmen was so weak that the defense did not have to present its case. In the much longer and more complex federal civil trial of 1975, a jury voted 9-3 that none of the Guardsmen were legally responsible for the shootings. This decision was appealed, however, and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that a new trial had to be held because of the improper handling of a threat to a jury member.

The legal aftermath of the May 4 shootings ended in January of 1979 with an out-of-court settlement involving a statement signed by 28 defendants(3) as well as a monetary settlement, and the Guardsmen and their supporters view this as a final vindication of their position. The financial settlement provided $675,000 to the wounded students and the parents of the students who had been killed. This money was paid by the State of Ohio rather than by any Guardsmen, and the amount equaled what the State estimated it would cost to go to trial again. Perhaps most importantly, the statement signed by members of the Ohio National Guard was viewed by them to be a declaration of regret, not an apology or an admission of wrongdoing:

Thank you.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking wrist rockets (high powered sling shots) and a few marbles would get some folks attention.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
'probably the biggest lesson ever learned at an American place of learning'

Neil Young

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
a lot of brave young men and women died, because they were told they were protecting the world from Communists. perhaps we should have kept them here.

We could have waited until now since they're here. We are seeing many folks with a hammer and sickle on shirts and on signs at the riots. Any idea when we can start protecting us from them?

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
a lot of brave young men and women died, because they were told they were protecting the world from Communists. perhaps we should have kept them here.

We could have waited until now since they're here. We are seeing many folks with a hammer and sickle on shirts and on signs at the riots. Any idea when we can start protecting us from them?

That can't come soon enough to suit me.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.