OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G

Retired cat herder.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don’t like them never have and haven’t had to wear one where we live, but if I still want to go buy groceries (HEB) I HAVE to wear one to be allowed inside. Guess I have to be one of the sheep now...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Droplets are questionable, but aerosolized virus in not defeated by a single layer of cloth. Virue is 1000 times smaller than the weave on cloth. Using multiple layers in a N95 can adsorb the majority, if fitted well. That mask is night and day better that most masks. Then there is the issue of transmission through the eyes. At that point any mask is useless unless eyes are not protected.
In the end, better to wish for herd immunity. Masks don't work.
You can look up data with nanoparticles for reference. NIOS, CDC, OSHA. 60-80 nanometer particles are pretty much a big issue.

G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Terryk
Droplets are questionable, but aerosolized virus in not defeated by a single layer of cloth. Virue is 1000 times smaller than the weave on cloth. Using multiple layers in a N95 can adsorb the majority, if fitted well. That mask is night and day better that most masks. Then there is the issue of transmission through the eyes. At that point any mask is useless unless eyes are not protected.
In the end, better to wish for herd immunity. Masks don't work.
You can look up data with nanoparticles for reference. NIOS, CDC, OSHA. 60-80 nanometer particles are pretty much a big issue.

Tell me how you get aerosolized virus (not in droplets) from an infected person. I can see that from a bioweapon application.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aerosolized particles are suspended in the air by heat, and gravity has very little impact. This is called Brownian motion of aerosolized particles. The particles are expelled just like CO2, water vapor, and odor. Like smelling lungs when you gut a deer. Garlic odor or water vapor during exhale is bigger than the virus at 60-80 nm.
Entrainment, not entrapment works on that scale, so electrostatic forces bind nanoscale particles in multiple weave filters. They bump, and get stuck. So more layers have greater contact and entrainment potential.

IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
That didn't prove or refute anything.

G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Terryk
Aerosolized particles are suspended in the air by heat, and gravity has very little impact. This is called Brownian motion of aerosolized particles. The particles are expelled just like CO2, water vapor, and odor. Like smelling lungs when you gut a deer. Garlic odor or water vapor during exhale is bigger than the virus at 60-80 nm.
Entrainment, not entrapment works on that scale, so electrostatic forces bind nanoscale particles in multiple weave filters. They bump, and get stuck. So more layers have greater contact and entrainment potential.

Funny. I was always taught that the virus transmission person to person was via droplets. (Virus in the mucous droplets). Where does the heat come into this or are we talking totally different things?

Certainly true individual virus particles are unlikely to be significantly impaired by a mask And if you are writing about true particles then you're really needing high level containment gear. That's a different fish, for sure.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The facemask works the facemask doesn’t work...Its a fact !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It depends...

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I did not even open your link. I bought a mask on line and used it while sanding drywall. When I took it off Sue thought I rubbed my arm across my face. I looked in the mirror and what do I see? Along both sides of my nose and under my nose was white dust!
I refuse to wear one when I go to town.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ringman

I did not even open your link. I bought a mask on line and used it while sanding drywall. When I took it off Sue thought I rubbed my arm across my face. I looked in the mirror and what do I see? Along both sides of my nose and under my nose was white dust!
I refuse to wear one when I go to town.

Understood.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The saw the results of a simple and elegant study by the University Of Hong Kong, it showed masks were 75% effective. If you are wearing the mask it drops. Better than none. Likely just those blue medical ones. Hear is a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhQw7vLNsDA I use a N95

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Squidge
It depends...

Maybe what masks should be made of, Depends.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
The saw the results of a simple and elegant study by the University Of Hong Kong, it showed masks were 75% effective.
The study used infected hamsters in a cage. And they put a cover (mask equivalent) across the cage. Then they blew wind across the infected hamster cage, with the cover across the cage, towards a healthy hamster cage. And they deduced that a reduction under those circumstances, with caged hamsters, meant an equivalent reduction to people out and about in the world.
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
I use a N95
Which is vastly different than a cloth mask.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Arlo Guthrie " I don't want to pickle, I just want to ride my motocickle " I thinks that's how it went, I took it to mean I don't want to die, I just want to ride my motor cycle. It holds more true as you have enjoyed more of this life.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wearing a mask is much better at keeping the virus inside the mask than preventing it from getting in. All of them are more likely to prevent those who have been exposed from spreading it. It may not prevent you from catching the virus, but it is about 10X better than nothing. If you wear a "real mask". A bandana isn't a real mask, but still better than nothing.

I'm not in a lot of places where I'm around crowds, but when I am I wear the mask. Don't particularly like it, but doing so is the quickest way to end this crap and start getting back to normal.

Instead of bitching about it, man up and do the right thing.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
Don’t like them never have and haven’t had to wear one where we live, but if I still want to go buy groceries (HEB) I HAVE to wear one to be allowed inside. Guess I have to be one of the sheep now...

You’d rather comply than stand up & be counted?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
Wearing a mask is much better at keeping the virus inside the mask than preventing it from getting in.
So a cloth mask provides protection on one side of it but not on the other...?
Originally Posted by JMT40
All of them are more likely to prevent those who have been exposed from spreading it.
So a cloth mask will likely “prevent those who have been exposed from spreading it”...?
It may not prevent you from catching the virus...
But it’ll prevent you from spreading it...?
If you wear a "real mask".
What is a “real mask”...? Is a cloth mask a “real mask”...?
Is wearing a cloth mask, where the spaces between the weaves are huge compared to the 0.06 micron size of the virus, “manning up and doing the right thing”...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A mask is not a panacea. It's not fool proof. It's just another layer of protection that can help prevent spread.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Wearing a mask is much better at keeping the virus inside the mask than preventing it from getting in. All of them are more likely to prevent those who have been exposed from spreading it. It may not prevent you from catching the virus, but it is about 10X better than nothing. If you wear a "real mask". A bandana isn't a real mask, but still better than nothing.

I'm not in a lot of places where I'm around crowds, but when I am I wear the mask. Don't particularly like it, but doing so is the quickest way to end this crap and start getting back to normal.

Oh bullshit, wearing a mask doesn't do anything. Give me a frickin break.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.