Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Swift makes a 348 Aframe. That should be a great choice.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looks like the A-Frame is only in 200-gr. Would think maybe more better than the earlier Hornady FPs, but I wonder if the 250-gr Woodleigh Weldcore wouldn't be better for thread topic?

I've thought HCLs would be decent, too, but maybe only if even heavier -- 275? 300? -- given they'd likely be at lower velocity anyway. No experience with HCLs in rifles, though.

And no experience with coastal brown bears, for that matter.

I wonder if T.R. might have thought an M71 chambered for something like .411 (??) Winchester -- same case as the .348 -- was the bee's knees if Winchester had intro'd both at the same time (and if T.R. was still alive then), perhaps as a legit successor to the 1895 .405 for those who didn't gravitate toward a Model 70. I don't have lots of hands-on with the M1895, but they've seemed kinda clunky compared to my M71.

-Chris

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mythical situation: Hiking out for a bear watch in coastal AK or Kodiak Island, etc... and carrying a Winchester Model 71 in the original .348 Winchester chambering. IOW, not hunting, just thinking to keep Br'er Bear from chewing parts off attendant personages.

Which bullets better, and (ideally) why: Woodleigh 250-grain Weldcore, Hawk 270-grain or 250-grain FP, Barnes Original 250-grain "Solid", or even the Swift 200-grain A-Frame?

(I've already assumed the original Winchester 200-grain Silvertips, the original Hornady 200-grain FPs, and the Hornady 200-grain FTXs would be non-starters in this role.)

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 08/18/20.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I worked with a guy long ago that had a .300 Win. Mag. made up for a Dall sheep hunt. It had a heavy 27 inch barrel and a big scope and weighed right at 12 pounds. .

Now, here's a sheep rifle... smirk

Bet it'll top 12#'s.

Posted this one before.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bears move fast and have to be anchored. I have shot bull elk with an original 1895 in.405 WCF. Its a good cartridge
and many bears have been killed with it. I also have a few Model 71s, including a 348 Ack Imp which will handle a 270 gr Hawk bullet. And a 450 AK on a pre-war Deluxe Model 71.
But for coastal big brownies, its a early M-70 in 338WM-375 H&H . Backed up by a 450 Alaskan. Always a good idea to bring two rifles
on a guided hunt up here.

If your rifle goes south-where is the closest gunsmith? Another heavy rifle is the answer.
If you are fishing and an irritated brownie shows up in the alders and its getting late on the trail,
I would prefer a 450 AK with 400 gr bullets and fast reloading of a smooth Winchester M-71 any day. Maybe even a 50-100-450 1886 Winchester if he squares over 10 ft. and is all teeth and claws- & mad.

Bolt actions are SLOW for repeat shots compared to a slick Winchester or Marlin lever action rifle.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 450Fuller

I also have a few Model 71s, including a 348 Ack Imp which will handle a 270 gr Hawk bullet. And a 450 AK on a pre-war Deluxe Model 71.
But for coastal big brownies, its a early M-70 in 338WM-375 H&H . Backed up by a 450 Alaskan. Always a good idea to bring two rifles

I would prefer a 450 AK with 400 gr bullets and fast reloading of a smooth Winchester M-71 any day. Maybe even a 50-100-450 1886 Winchester if he squares over 10 ft. and is all teeth and claws- & mad.

Bolt actions are SLOW for repeat shots compared to a slick Winchester or Marlin lever action rifle.

Yeah, from reading, I get the .45+ thing. I have a .338 WM Model 70, too... but imagine the slowest person you know with a bolt-rifle... and I'm twice as slow.

If I were buying for an actual bear hunt, I'd probably look at one of the Browning M71s... and then maybe have some fun picking a cartridge to rebarrel to. But that's not gonna happen; I never really had much desire to go shoot a bear in the first place...

And my Winchester Model 71 is a family pass-down, '37 serial number, all the "DeLuxe" features, etc... so I don't want to modify it.

Are you saying the Hawk 270 would be better than the Woodleigh bonded 250, for a "bear watch" M71/.348?

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 08/19/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a good question. Its nip and tuck, but I have used most available 348 bullets including the defunct North Forks.

Would probably go with the bonded core Woodleighs or AK Kodiak 250s . But -given that you want to keep the rifle
unaltered in the original 348 WCF, I would look at the Swift A-frames. They are like a bonded core Nosler.
The weight of 200 grs is good, I believe. If you use a Premium quality bullet, you don't necessarily need
a 348 Ack IMP. Mine worked really well on AK moose. I would carry it as a bear protective measure.

Different story if you are hunting a coastal brownie in the alders. A Model 71 or 1886
is really a point blank to 125 yard rifle. Range is further, but the FP bullets shed velocity really fast.
You need tough bullets that hang together.

Two rifles on a hunt. One rifle, a 348 with the best bullets- on a hiking or fishing trip in AK. (A 30-30 or a 243 will not get it done.)

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Fair enough, thanks. I've got the Wodleigh 250ss, and I have some A-Frame 200s inbound... plus my older supply of Hornady FPs and Barnes 250 Solids.... and some FTX inbound. Sounds like no huge need to order any Hawk 270s, at least for the time being.

This will likely turn into a very slow handloading project: Check sights (mostly for point of aim) with factory 200-grain Silvertips, call it good, think about the others and work up loads at my leisure.

I want to make sure I can reliably slay one of our paper targets at 100 yards... given we don't have too many great bears here on the Chesapeake. Might go on a hog hunt sometime, though. I'd guess almost anything out of a .348 would work for that.

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 08/19/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ranger4444
Originally Posted by 450Fuller

I also have a few Model 71s, including a 348 Ack Imp which will handle a 270 gr Hawk bullet. And a 450 AK on a pre-war Deluxe Model 71.

Yeah, from reading, I get the .45+ thing. I have a .338 WM Model 70, too... but imagine the slowest person you know with a bolt-rifle... and I'm twice as slow.

If I were buying for an actual bear hunt, I'd probably look at one of the Browning M71s... and then maybe have some fun picking a cartridge to rebarrel to. But that's not gonna happen; I never really had much desire to go shoot a bear in the first place...

And my Winchester Model 71 is a family pass-down, '37 serial number, all the "DeLuxe" features, etc... so I don't want to modify it.

Are you saying the Hawk 270 would be better than the Woodleigh bonded 250, for a "bear watch" M71/.348?

-Chris

After another few nano-seconds worth of thought... and a quick glance at citations in the J.J. Donnelly manual... if I were really going to try an actual real-life bear hunt, I bet I could talk myself into a Browning M71 rechambered to .416-348. Not an AI version; just the original .348 necked up to accept 400-grain .416 bullets. LOTS of those to choose from.

I'm thinking the more original shape may better retain the original's smooth feeding, and there's at least one thread around here where somebody made up a .416-348 AI and reported afterwards that it doesn't feed as smoothly as he'd hoped... afterwards thinking the original could have been better.

So... M71 with aperture sights... maybe even a scout mount for a choice of IER scopes and/or RDS options. (I see Browning is offering an optional scout mount for their BLRs; maybe the concept could work here, too.)

Anyway, I could do a LOT to keep from learning how to run a bolt rifle very well. I've actually been practicing that recently; not good. Completely unnatural after almost 60 years of hunting and later also competing with lever rifles.

-Chris

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 375 H&H will get you there just fine with a lot less fuss...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
And that'd most likely be in a bolt action? I may have mentioned I could probably walk to Alaska and back faster than cycling a bolt rifle... Molasses got nuthin' on me.

And I've already got a .338WM Model 70... so I could continue to be just as slow with that as with a new .375.

Actually, for less fuss, I guess a Marlin or Henry .45-70 lever rifle could be OK, too... just not as attractive to me as a (another) Model 71.

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 08/25/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think you overestimate the need for ultimate speed. Make the first shot properly and it reduces the need for each and every shot that follows.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm certainly willing to believe you're correct... given no bear experience and only armchair analysis.

I'm not thinking about hunting bears, though; instead I'm thinking about protection from being hunted. I'm not entirely used to making that "first shot properly" on teeth approaching me at freight-train speed.

-Chris

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
It's a fast learning curve. "Fast" in both (three?) senses.

Last edited by las; 08/25/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Heh... I think not much attraction to finishing second, either.

-Chris

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I barreled a handful of BLRs in 375 Ruger. Did one up in 416 Ruger too.
Built a bunch of custom 86s and 71s in 450 and 50 AK

A gadzillion Marlin 95s, a bunch of them in 50AK

Could get a magazine full of .510” 450gr Aframes or Kodiaks in the air as fast as most guys could 30/30s. Still when it came time for hunting and guiding I always reached for a good bolt rifle with a good scope. Most times a 35 Whelen stuffed with 250s, occasionally a 458 pushing 350s at 2550.

I like lever rifles don’t get me wrong. But when the chips, or in a guided hunter’s case the $$$, are down I want things as bombproof as possible. Leverguns inherently aren’t.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TheKid

I like lever rifles don’t get me wrong. But when the chips, or in a guided hunter’s case the $$$, are down I want things as bombproof as possible. Leverguns inherently aren’t.

I'm interested in these statements, and I'd like you to elaborate. What do you mean by "Leverguns inherently aren't [bombproof]"?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I barreled a handful of BLRs in 375 Ruger. Did one up in 416 Ruger too.
Built a bunch of custom 86s and 71s in 450 and 50 AK

A gadzillion Marlin 95s, a bunch of them in 50AK

Could get a magazine full of .510” 450gr Aframes or Kodiaks in the air as fast as most guys could 30/30s. Still when it came time for hunting and guiding I always reached for a good bolt rifle with a good scope. Most times a 35 Whelen stuffed with 250s, occasionally a 458 pushing 350s at 2550.

I always felt like a stainless Remington 7600 "Guide Gun" in 338 Fed would make a good closer quarters brown bear rifle.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I'm interested in these statements, and I'd like you to elaborate. What do you mean by "Leverguns inherently aren't [bombproof]"?

They have an extra hole, the loading gate, for “stuff” to get in, IE dirt, mud, leaves and whatnot. And are not as easily field stripable in the case of the Marlin and nearly not field stripable in the case of the 1886/71.

The entire repeating function of all centerfire Marlin lever aside from the Levermatics in 30 Carbine and 256Win rely on a part called the carrier rocker or dog to function. This tiny part is about 3/32 thick with a built in stress riser in the bottom of the hook. One round hung up on a feed ramp or halfway out of the mag tube when the follower seizes because the tube has sand in it and that hook will pop right off the carrier. Leaving you with a jammed rifle that will be a slow loading single shot when you get the stoppage cleared. I bet I replaced a couple hundred of those dogs over the years. The extractor is a little square of sheet metal about 3/16x3/16x.020” brazed onto a piece of spring steel. It generally makes contact with a spot on the case rim about 1/16”wide.

Talked with lots of guys who were dead set on “reliable” iron sights on their hunting rifles. I would guess I replaced 2 dozen front blades every fall and 50 of the factory Marlin rear leaves a year. Can’t remember the last time I heard of someone with a decent quality scope of somewhat recent manufacture fogging up. I personally broke the front sight off of my rifle 3 times during my decade hunting AK, some broken when I took a fall or a rifle slid off where it was leaning. Never had a scope lose zero or fog during that time, including hunting in coastal rainforest and once taking a tumble almost 30 feet off a rock face and landing on my scope with the rifle slung across my back.

There’s a reason no military used lever rifles in any meaningful capacity. They just aren’t as tough as a good bolt rifle as well as being more difficult to keep running in the field under poor conditions.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

They have an extra hole, the loading gate, for “stuff” to get in, IE dirt, mud, leaves and whatnot. And are not as easily field stripable in the case of the Marlin and nearly not field stripable in the case of the 1886/71.

The entire repeating function of all centerfire Marlin lever aside from the Levermatics in 30 Carbine and 256Win rely on a part called the carrier rocker or dog to function. This tiny part is about 3/32 thick with a built in stress riser in the bottom of the hook. One round hung up on a feed ramp or halfway out of the mag tube when the follower seizes because the tube has sand in it and that hook will pop right off the carrier. Leaving you with a jammed rifle that will be a slow loading single shot when you get the stoppage cleared. I bet I replaced a couple hundred of those dogs over the years. The extractor is a little square of sheet metal about 3/16x3/16x.020” brazed onto a piece of spring steel. It generally makes contact with a spot on the case rim about 1/16”wide.

Talked with lots of guys who were dead set on “reliable” iron sights on their hunting rifles. I would guess I replaced 2 dozen front blades every fall and 50 of the factory Marlin rear leaves a year. Can’t remember the last time I heard of someone with a decent quality scope of somewhat recent manufacture fogging up. I personally broke the front sight off of my rifle 3 times during my decade hunting AK, some broken when I took a fall or a rifle slid off where it was leaning. Never had a scope lose zero or fog during that time, including hunting in coastal rainforest and once taking a tumble almost 30 feet off a rock face and landing on my scope with the rifle slung across my back.

There’s a reason no military used lever rifles in any meaningful capacity. They just aren’t as tough as a good bolt rifle as well as being more difficult to keep running in the field under poor conditions.

Thanks for the information. I can see what you mean. I've certainly had my share of functional issues with lever actions in hunting scenarios that caused problems at exactly the wrong time.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 3,063 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,378
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.