Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm contemplating snake boots again. On of my favorite summer fly fishing streams runs through a big field. The creek is lined with alders and I run into rattlesnakes now and then in the damp grass under the alders which suppresses the buzz somewhat. Hiking across the field, the grass is chest height so it's hard to see your feet. Seems like snake boots or the like are in order.

I don't remember what brand I had before. I got size 10 because the ankles were too tight to get my size 9 feet in and out of. Then being sloppy my feet slid around and I got blisters. Eventually I got rid of them.

I just have this twitchy feeling ... I should get some again before I fish that creek next.

What has worked for you? Would you do pull on, side zip, or lace-up as a fishing boot, or at least fishing-access boot?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
This is what 90% of hunters in south Texas wear. I have worn several types and brand and these are the best IMO.

https://www.chippewaboots.com/footwear/footwear/category/snake/23913

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I got a 44sp and loaded rat shot in it to solve my snake problem. I haven't seen a snake in the woods since I got it...

Harry
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My father hunted for arrowheads much of his life, and took to wearing sturdy, low, leather hiking boots with snake gaiters (and a birdshot-loaded 38). You might look into that option.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
This is what 90% of hunters in south Texas wear. I have worn several types and brand and these are the best IMO.

These are good boots. I prefer chaps especially if I’m walking a lot quail hunting. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used to wear wrap-around gaiters over my boots.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep your comfy boots.

Snake Gaiters

Or
Snake Chaps

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

THAT - is one helluva boot... Very nice...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Keep your comfy boots.

Snake Gaiters

Or
Snake Chaps

This. Gaiters.

For the swamp environment, guys cut the foot portion off of old hip boots and use those.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have two pair of Chippewa, pull on and side zip. You're good with either/or.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chippewa is good, and so is LaCrosse. I've had a pair of LaCrosse Venoms for 6 years now. I use them almost year round and they've held up well. Not as waterproof as they were when new though. The Rocky's I had before were garbage, the soles came apart in a few short months.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Agree on gaiters. Keep your comfortable boots that work for you and attach/remove as needed

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Redneck

THAT - is one helluva boot... Very nice...

That is what I have. They are comfortable once you get them broken in which took awhile and they rubbed the back of my ankles above my heels pretty bad when they were new. I got them because they are leather lined and uninsulated which fits the weather here most days....and got a helluva deal at a sporting goods store that was going out of business. I hate boots with linings unless I am in a tree stand or perhaps a boat on a very cold day.

The op said something about big ankles/calves......that might be a problem with these. I have skinny legs. Heck, he might have had a pair of these before.

Last edited by RJY66; 07/13/20.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve worn Russell’s since the early 70’s. Same pair resoled twice. Paid $90.00 for ‘em. I doubt the new ones are as good and four or five times the price. Mine were off the shelf from a store in Albany Ga. My cousin had a pair of custom ones made for his big calves, he still has his.

I wore mine until I stopped bird hunting some years ago. A little tight in the calves but the leather was still in great shape. Gave them to a friend.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer boots to gaiters. Gaiters seem hotter than boots (I have both) and the ‘comfy’ boot portion that you wear under the gaiters may not be snakeproof. In addition, they provide better tick protection, especially when treated with permethrin. I have used the Academy Landman boots. They were quite a bit more comfortable than their other models, especially for big legs.

Last edited by K1500; 07/13/20.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I ponied up and bought two pairs of Turtle Skin gaiters for my kids. I figure it’s cheaper in the long run and a lot easier to get them to wear them because they’re comfortable and you don’t have to break in a pair of boots and they won’t out grow them in a season.

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Keep your comfy boots.

Snake Gaiters

Or
Snake Chaps

That’s the way to go in my opinion. I bought a pair of the calf wraps off of Stoney here, best choice over boots imo. I have rattler gators too but damn they will burn you up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could do a local (to you) business a favor and get someone to make you a set of gaiters/chaps out of thick leather. If you can't find thick enough leather, some quilting inside would probably do the trick.

Snap, zipper, or hook&eye closure and you can open 'em up at the creek..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
What RJY66 said. They are stitched up the heel and the rubbing is like a dang saw. It will eat your heel up and leave a ping pong ball size blister and you’ll have to call a friend to come get you because you can’t walk any more... oh wait, never mind. They are a bitch to break in, but once you do, they are super comfey. I have a second, brand new pair in the closet, just scared to put them on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Use to have a pair of GOKEY snake-proof boats but as hot as it gets down here I never wore them, sold them on eBay.i just pay attention too where I'm walking.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.