Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I spent 30 days living on steak, pork chops, and gin. Only added celery to keep things moving. Literally. No gout issues at all. I have a buddy that can't even look at a venison roast or steak, or have anything with high fructose corn syrup. It varies so l.

Gout is a result of an inherited metabolic condition with the amino acid purine. It causes the deposition of Uric acid crystals into joints. When observed under a microscope, these crystals appears as long thin glass like needles that are HIGHLY inflammatory.

It’s genetic. It sux!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW
Your Internist is more than capable of treating your gout.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I took 8 ounces of water with a tablespoon of baking soda. And one whole squeezed lemon. You can't od on it. It worked for me in two days. A fellow gout sufferer gave me the recipe.Take as much as you want.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Runs in my family, it sucks. It sucks big time. In fact I was at the Doctor today about it. Have it in my thumb for the first time. Made the mistake of eating a rib-eye, and then a New York a day later. I stay away from good steaks and alcohol. It sucks. For those that haven’t had it, the pain is like needles being shoved into your joint. As a kid I use to see my Grams moan from it. Thank God we have meds today. Now I whimper instead of moaning.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve had attacks over the years, always in the joint making the ball of my foot. Felt like an ice pick in the joint digging away.

Have had it in both feet, but never at the same time. Was on allopurinol at one time but not due several years. Doctor was adamant to not take it unless the attack was completely gone. Somebody above me said the same thing.

The last time I had it was for like 4 or 5 days. Was given some colchicine, told to not trust a fart, and good luck. By that night I was back in my work boots instead of unlaced tennis shoes. Went through a lot of Charmin to get there though. Colchicine is like $6/pill here. You can buy it in Cozumel for $6/box. I carry it in my backpack with my laptop everywhere I go. It helped me that much.

I tried the tart cherry juice and the baking soda in water, neither did anything for me. Drinking lots of water can’t hurt though.

Best information I got was actually from my eye doctor. He suffers from it. Told him I had it in an exam but didn’t know what caused it. He left and cane back with a printout of 100 foods, all “trigger” foods. Told me on my next attack, to think back 3 days for everything I’d ate and mark it. After a few attacks, hopefully a trend would develop on what good to avoid. His trigger was MSG in Chinese food. As luck would have it, I haven’t had an attack in a few years.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Prednisone will have you feeling better in less than 24 hours- but shouldn’t be relied upon for long term treatment.

Sugar, specifically fructose, is extremely bad for gout as uric acid is a byproduct of your body processing fructose. So stay away from sugary drinks, or anything else that has high fructose corn syrup in it.
Another suggestion is to lower your fruit intake- specifically high sugar/low fiber fruit like melons and grapes. The fiber negates the uric acid byproduct that your body produces when metabolizing sugar.

Hopefully ETOH will come along with some of his wisdom.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Q black cherry juice and avoid red meat asparagus and alcohol in high doses.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just read the book "How not to Die" If you invest the time to read this book you will have all the information needed to change your life.

https://nutritionfacts.org/book/

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Colchicine and Indomethacin for immediate relief. Colchicine will tear up your stomach like nothing else, the "atomic sh its" are real and unpleasant. Indomethacin isn't the stuff that's hard on the stomach, that's Colchicine. Indomethacin has never bothered me a bit. Allopurinol is a long term preventative and works great, but it shouldn't be taken when someone is having a gout attack. It works by purging the body of uric acid and that requires the body's excess uric acid to be removed from tissue, enter the bloodstream, and be filtered out by the kidneys then pissed out. That extra uric acid in the bloodstream will make an ongoing gout attack worse, not better. That's the reason why when someone is started on Allopurinol they're given gradually increasing doses. You don't want to start out with a full strength dose, it'll suddenly increase the uric acid in the blood and trigger a gout attack. You've got to slowly get your body to purge it so your kidneys have time to remove it.

Black cherry juice is a traditional home remedy and can help some. Like most home remedies though it's a poor substitute for modern medicines. You can chug black cherry juice for weeks and maybe feel a little better, or get the right medicines and be feeling better by the day's end. I know which one I'll pick.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Question, are you taking any Statin Drugs? They are commonly proscribed for Cholesterol issues. I was on all of them in varying doses for several years. I found I am allergic to them and kept coming up with Rhabdomyolisis which led to joint problems which led to gout attacks. I finally stopped taking the statins and have been gout free for about 8 years. When off the statins my uric acid levels came down to normal range. I can't quote any studies confirming this but that has been the result. I've since come across quite a few people that take statins and have had gout. My diet was never high on purines and has been the same over the whole period.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I take allopurinol and diclofenac (an anti- inflamatory) Haven't had a bout with the gout for 20 years. Knock on wood.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Go see a doctor. I take allopurinol every day. Take 3 Alive twice a day until it gets better. When I had it, it took about a month before my toe was back to 100%.

When I had it, my uric acid level was at 8. Now I run about 4.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 07/14/20.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dark cherry juice is the bomb for me. Clears it up overnight if I drink an 8 ounce glass.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Woke up one morning 40 years ago. I thought I had broke my foot. Big toe could not stand to have the sheet laying on it. Doctor gave me Butazolidin. If I remember right I could only take 8 pills over about 12 hours. They stopped the Gout
Attack until next time. Been on Allopuriinol ever since. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Really good article at

NCBI-NHI The Genetics of hyperurcemia and gout.

lastest perspective on genetic role and risk factors such as high blood pressure, overweight, diet.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have never had gout, but my brother has for many years. I recently visited him and he noticed my shoulders were in a lot of pain, I have some bad arthritis in there. He told me to try CBD oil. Apparently he has been using it for his gout and has been pain free since he started. This is in addition to the meds prescribed by the Doc. Young living is the specific brand he recommended. I have not tried it but will pass along the suggestion.

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I take Allopurinol for my gout.it doesn’t get rid of it, but makes it where I can get on with my day to day life.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Keep your piss clear from drinking more water.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

I started getting it bad last summer. Was drinking a lot of spiced rum. Of course they put me on a steroid and some other drug, can't recall right now. But I went thru that several times last summer.

Now I take Alpurinol (SP?) in the morning and at night. I can tell you if I forget a nightly dose and I have a little too much to drink I def feel it the next day.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (1moredeer, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,930
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.