Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It would also be impossible to deny. A "God's Rods" attack could instantly be traced back to a single orbiting source, and the national ownership of that craft known. They do track everything down to baseball size that's in orbit, you know, along with what it is and who put it there.

All you fantasy thinkers are so wrong. The X-37 is a research craft, and nothing else. It tests new technology like lubricants and sensors in long-term space exposure, with the most critical aspect being the ability to examine the test objects after safely landing. It would be useless as any kind of space weapon, precisely because its orbit is so well known and tracked. As I've said before, anyone who thinks otherwise knows absolutely nothing about orbital mechanics.

Rocky thanks for the insight. Yes one of those attacks if such a vehicle even existed would be tracked.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Starwars.. Thanks President Reagan!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rocky, any explanation of all the Top Secret missions of the space shuttles back in the day?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kinetics is a big deal.
A chunk of tungsten would be nearly impossible to lift unnoticed, every ounce matters.

However, it wouldn't have to be real big. At 17000 miles per hour, that's around 25,000 feet per second. That's at least six or seven times our fastest rifle bullet.

But do we have such? Medoubts. So, there's got to be something else that came out of somebody's skunk works.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
"The simplest solution is most likely the right one."

Does that sound familiar?

A bunch of sand nig*gers working with dangerous [bleep]. Draw your conclusion.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

The "rods from god" idea was a bundle of telephone-pole-size (20 feet long, 1 foot in diameter) tungsten rods, dropped from orbit, reaching a speed of up to 10 times the speed of sound. The rod itself would penetrate hundreds of feet into the Earth, destroying any potential hardened bunkers or secret underground sites.

I think they were calling it a 304.8 Creedmore

(304.8 millimeters in a foot)

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
It would also be impossible to deny. A "God's Rods" attack could instantly be traced back to a single orbiting source, and the national ownership of that craft known. They do track everything down to baseball size that's in orbit, you know, along with what it is and who put it there.

All you fantasy thinkers are so wrong. The X-37 is a research craft, and nothing else. It tests new technology like lubricants and sensors in long-term space exposure, with the most critical aspect being the ability to examine the test objects after safely landing. It would be useless as any kind of space weapon, precisely because its orbit is so well known and tracked. As I've said before, anyone who thinks otherwise knows absolutely nothing about orbital mechanics.

Not to mention that pesky " non militarization of space " treaty. It might be a bit embarrassing to be caught breaking a treaty we fought so hard to implement.

Star Wars, the best and most successful psy,op in history. Brought USSR to her knees. Hell many Americans believe it still today. God Bless Ronald Reagan.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
GeoW, for a time, the Space Shuttle was used instead of expendable rockets to launch satellites. Many of the early missions did so. I can only surmise (meaning guess) that that's what some or all of the classified Shuttle launches did: deploy spysats. I have spoken on several occasions with Bob Crippen who commanded one of those classified flights, and wish I could say he let me in on the secret. But as honorable Air Force and Navy officers, neither of us broached the subject.

It was soon realized that it cost five to ten times as much to deploy satellites with the Shuttle instead of vehicles like Atlas, Delta, or even the mighty Titan. So except for satellites like the Hubble telescope, they returned to using rockets for satellites. The Shuttle then became a delivery truck for the Space Station until that was completed - and so they retired the Shuttle.

And then SpaceX came along...

Last edited by RockyRaab; 07/14/20.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Rocky!

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Not to mention that pesky " non militarization of space " treaty. It might be a bit embarrassing to be caught breaking a treaty we fought so hard to implement.

Star Wars, the best and most successful psy,op in history. Brought USSR to her knees. Hell many Americans believe it still today. God Bless Ronald Reagan.

Militarization of Space?
Naw, just list some trash out of the back of our vehicle.😁

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

There is no nonmilitarization of space treaty. There is a treaty that prohibits nuclear and chemical weapons on space based platforms. Kinetic weapons do not come under that.

Look it up if you don’t believe me.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Not necessarily. The concept works all the way down to rods small enough to take out enemy tanks. A tungsten rod a foot long dropped from space will ruin someone’s day. In the 80s they theorized using a he concept against Russian tank divisions going through the Fulda Gap. A few hundred small rods dropped from a single satellite would decimate a Soviet tank division.

How would something "dropped from space" would reach a terminal velocity tens of times faster than something just dropped from an aircraft at altitude? Unless propelled, how would the speed differ?

Bad-azz concept though!

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No atmosphere when things get started

Gravitational pull rakes it in

Look at the speed of orbiting vehicles. 22000 mph or something. Take a turn down and see how limited the atmosphere is in slowing it down

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
MOAR

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Think meteorites.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bet they're hoping Biden gets in so he can send they a few more cargo planes full of cash.

Bb

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by GeoW

Amen, but updated to be more sophisticated.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Bet they're hoping Biden gets in so he can send they a few more cargo planes full of cash.

Bb

Hahaha. Yep.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by hatari
No atmosphere when things get started

Gravitational pull rakes it in

Look at the speed of orbiting vehicles. 22000 mph or something. Take a turn down and see how limited the atmosphere is in slowing it down

I get that, but that is the *lateral* (orbiting) speed of said vehicle. These these are (presumably) low orbiting vehicles simply "dropping" a payload (again, presumably).

Not a meteorite entering the atmosphere already traveling at 150,000 MPH.

Anyhow, just curious. I am sure a tungsten telephone pole even at terminal velocity would ruin someone's day.

So curious how the speed accumulates. Most space junk burns up on re-entry...

A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by GeoW

Amen, but updated to be more sophisticated.

Funny, I wore my '84 Reagan/Bush campaign t-shirt to the optometrist today. It was quite the conversation maker, LOL.

A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,153 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,554
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.