Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Then again, some rifles are made possible, or practical, by cartridge design, so sometimes we end up right back where we started.🤔

That's pretty much the 7x57 vs 7-08. But in 'Stick's defense, in my extremely limited experience I find it takes a little longer to find consistent MOA loads in the 7x57, especially in one rifle and across a diversity of bullet weights. I don't know why that's the case (throat variations?) but it seems to be. But the 7x57 wasn't developed as, nor is generally used as, a target rifle either, so I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference in the field...although sometimes after a frustrating day on the range I'm tempted to pick up a 7-08 Tikka and call it good. whistle

Just my $.02

RM

I file that quest, and it's more radical children, half-MOA and the others, under "shoot for fun". It has almost no practical application for me, except for the odd poke I take at a woodchuck. When a deer pops out of the bushes at 20 or 30 yards, it ain't even a consideration. Since I picked up the crossbow a couple years ago, I'm taking the same shots I take with my rifles, with the same results, minus the bloodshot meat, and cold toes.

I still get giddy over the little clusters, but don't sweat that stuff when it comes to hunting loads, or what I practice with. I want hits with good bullets.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep. I"m trying to get one of my 7x57s to shoot anything other than 175-grain bullets into less than 1.5 MOA, but you're right: inside of 100 yards who cares. BTW, I don't think JOC ever mentioned how his 7x57s shot; just how effective they were on game.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own a 7x57 and it is a sweet shooting SOB

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I don't get too worked up on group size in my hunting rifles as long as a rifle can put 3 shots into 1.5", but then again I don't take shots at game over about 400 yards. I haven't even shot it yet but with my 7x57 I would think it's probably less than that. It's not a long range hunter. But out to 350-400 yards I would think it will be pretty lethal on game with a 140 grain bullet.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had very good luck with my “little 7”. It’s a Ruger #1 that I purchased in the late 70’s. It is short, reasonably light, and more then accurate for the job.
My longest shoot, 330 paces on a pronghorn. It shoots 140 and 150 gr Nosler BT’s into about an inch. IMR 4350 used to be my powder of choice, lately trying Ramshot Hunter and I think I like it better.
It could be my only hunting rifle and that would be fine. Of course I do have a few more... grin

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
People make a big deal about bullet selection. Most of my rifles are dedicated hunting rifles and in my case they are pretty specialized. All of them are called upon for deer hunting but some I have for larger game. I've had my .270 for 54 years and I've only shot a few different bullet weights in it. Of these most are Spitzer Boat Tails. I can say with my .270 I've only ever needed a couple different weights. The 130 and 150 are about all I'll ever need. Of those, only about three different brands. For deer and hogs it's usually either a 130 grain SGK or Nosler or Combined Technologies Ballistic Tip. With this 7x57 I visuallize about the same. If I should get the opportunity to go for elk or maybe another Nilgai hunt I would probably load me up some 150 grain Partitions. For some people that's a pretty limited bullet selection, but for me it meets all the needs of that rifle. I may yet play around with some other bullets but for now those listed are what you'll find me hunting with.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. I"m trying to get one of my 7x57s to shoot anything other than 175-grain bullets into less than 1.5 MOA, but you're right: inside of 100 yards who cares. BTW, I don't think JOC ever mentioned how his 7x57s shot; just how effective they were on game.

Have you tried Seafire's load of 40 grains IMR 3031? It has been shown to turn lousy shooters into accurate ones. PM him and get the scoop. Don't believe Cactus Jack would have kept a 7x57 around if it was not accurate. Surely, Eleanor would not have put up with a lousy shooter that killed the amount of game she did.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NOTHING is fhuqking funnier than a Texan trying to "talk" rifles...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I rather enjoy your Dumbfhuqk Chronicles,as you "think" it is a requisite to perpetually denote that besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you are also an AMAZINGLY sllloooowwwwwww "learner". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Simply put,boolits matter more than everything else and a Clueless Fhuqk who "does" as "much" as you,will never begin to have even a First Fhuqking Clue in regards to what do what. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
although sometimes after a frustrating day on the range I'm tempted to pick up a 7-08 Tikka and call it good. whistle

Just my $.02

RM

HERETIC!!

BLASPHEMER!

+1

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If not for Eleanor, Jack would have starved to death.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm looking forward to shooting and hunting with my (new to me) 7x57. I think of it as a .270 lite.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
Have you tried Seafire's load of 40 grains IMR 3031? It has been shown to turn lousy shooters into accurate ones. PM him and get the scoop. Don't believe Cactus Jack would have kept a 7x57 around if it was not accurate. Surely, Eleanor would not have put up with a lousy shooter that killed the amount of game she did.

I haven't tried it but I'm going to when I can get my hands on a pound of it. Right now I have some 160-gr Match Kings loaded up in front of IMR4350 just to see how they do. The rifle in question is a M70 Featherweight - not the Ingwe Special - that shoots 175s into less than an inch, but that's not the bullet I want to use in this particular rifle (I have others for those). I'd rather use a lighter bullet in this rifle, but it scatters 140 and 150 grain Partitions, as well as 154-grain InterLocks. But if it'll shoot the 160s I'll be fine with that since I have a bunch of 160-gr Partitions, Hot-Cors, and Grand Slams.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WAM
Some of the velocities quoted are not what you see today.

True. I remember chronographing a 140 grain load out of my 22 inch barrel Model 70, and it came up 200 fps short from what was claimed. By the way, it was a over max load of IMR4350 that Jim Carmichael had given.

But, it sill killed the snot of a deer.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by roundoak

I haven't tried it but I'm going to when I can get my hands on a pound of it. Right now I have some 160-gr Match Kings loaded up in front of IMR4350 just to see how they do. The rifle in question is a M70 Featherweight - not the Ingwe Special - that shoots 175s into less than an inch, but that's not the bullet I want to use in this particular rifle (I have others for those). I'd rather use a lighter bullet in this rifle, but it scatters 140 and 150 grain Partitions, as well as 154-grain InterLocks. But if it'll shoot the 160s I'll be fine with that since I have a bunch of 160-gr Partitions, Hot-Cors, and Grand Slams.

I have a Featherweight 7x57 like yours and I used the 160 grain Sierra BT/Nosler Partition and the 140 grain Trophy Bonded Tipped in it with good results. Didn't seem all that hard to find an accurate load in it.

Thinking of trying IMR 4451 with the 160 grain Sierra for a deer/rabbit/antelope load.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Filaman
I'm looking forward to shooting and hunting with my (new to me) 7x57. I think of it as a .270 lite.

"Although we have a generous superfluous, abundance of rifle cartridges, it is interesting to note that with only a few exceptions, the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (The .270 Win is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007 under size.)" Finn Aagaard.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Think of it as a .270 Straight...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Wouldn't that be the .270 Ingwe?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Wouldn't that be the .270 Ingwe?

No.

Theres .270 Win ( aka .270 Gay)

Theres the .270 Ingwe-a preposterous wildcat cartridge that violates all things holy about the 7x57

Then theres the 7x57...the Ultimate, Consummate cartridge...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
laugh laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe

Think of it as a .270 Straight...

BrokebackĂ—57

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 280shooter, 257_X_50, 260Remguy, 24 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,122
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.