Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When my brother was stationed in Japan early 80s, he brought home a Marantz 2325? With JBLL110 speakers, I remember I brought those speakers up to a place in Brooklyn New York to have them re-skind, Sold it never even realized what I had. What a bad ass sound system that was.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
I bought the 2230 I looked at last night. Really clean with all the basic maintenance and lights upgraded to LED’s done. Hooked it up to some Bose 301’s I have and it sounded good for those speakers. Going to be on the lookout for some better speakers for it now.

My wife likes the blue lights...chicks. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I like the blue lights too.

I have to admit, I do too. 😁

He had a 185w Pioneer SX-1280 he was waiting on a part for and then going to put up for sale. What a beast! 65lbs!

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
Buncha guys when I was stationed in Germany.
Buying up high dollar stereo components at the PX in Stuttgart.
Huge selection of stuff in the Audio room.
Room musta been 1500 sq ft at least of anything you could think of for stereo stuff.

Big ole out do the other guy stuff going on.
Most of em had Bose speaker systems in common.

Paul Harvey said I could throw all of my “living full of burdensome hifi speakers and stereo receiver away” and that the Bose Acoustic Wave Radio was just as good even better.

So after my many years of sifting asbestos at Johns Manville, I got the Wave as a retirement gift to myself (chortle) !!. Hauled all that hi fi junk out for the trash man.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Poconojack

I bought the 2230 I looked at last night. Really clean with all the basic maintenance and lights upgraded to LED’s done. Hooked it up to some Bose 301’s I have and it sounded good for those speakers. Going to be on the lookout for some better speakers for it now.

I like the blue lights too.

I have to admit, I do too. 😁

He had a 185w Pioneer SX-1280 he was waiting on a part for and then going to put up for sale. What a beast! 65lbs!

Pioneer’s have nice blue lights too, but not as striking as the Marantz blue.

Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by renegade50
Buncha guys when I was stationed in Germany.
Buying up high dollar stereo components at the PX in Stuttgart.
Huge selection of stuff in the Audio room.
Room musta been 1500 sq ft at least of anything you could think of for stereo stuff.

Big ole out do the other guy stuff going on.
Most of em had Bose speaker systems in common.

Paul Harvey said I could throw all of my “living full of burdensome hifi speakers and stereo receiver away” and that the Bose Acoustic Wave Radio was just as good even better.

So after my many years of sifting asbestos at Johns Manville, I got the Wave as a retirement gift to myself (chortle) !!. Hauled all that hi fi junk out for the trash man.

I have a Bose Sound Wave in the kitchen, very convenient for Bluetooth or to listen to a CD.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
so you guys that have those older systems, are you buying a turntable and playing vinyl records?

I have an old Denon in my workshop that I've had for years, and I ended up hooking a bluetooth receiver to the tape in, and I have a Amazon echo dot that stays connected to it so I stream music thru it when I'm out there.

Never had a Marantz - someone mentioned McIntosh - that is a receiver I always wanted to have but never had the cash to buy. About the best I could afford back in the day was a used Sansui

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KFWA
so you guys that have those older systems, are you buying a turntable and playing vinyl records?

I have an old Denon in my workshop that I've had for years, and I ended up hooking a bluetooth receiver to the tape in, and I have a Amazon echo dot that stays connected to it so I stream music thru it when I'm out there.

Never had a Marantz - someone mentioned McIntosh - that is a receiver I always wanted to have but never had the cash to buy. About the best I could afford back in the day was a used Sansui

I was planning on a turntable and an RCA-to-lightning adapter for my iPhone. I’ve got a ‘01 Accord if I want to kick it with a CD or cassette.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Fear the crabcat.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bought my current house 5 years ago and there were built in bookcases in the great room. There were a couple of speakers in the top shelf; could only see the grill covers. Hooked up a system to the wiring and thought, WOW, those sound good? Took the grill covers off and found a pair of mint JBL L100 Century's. BINGO! Those bring big money now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1911a1
My best friend scored this old Marantz 2225 for me in the Dallas area. I've been wanting a vintage Marantz for several years. My cousin gave me an Marantz SR 2-4000 cant remember the exact number. It was not a desirable pre '80 but it had the WPC bumped up and would really pump out the music. Lightning took it out.

This is factory rated at 25 WPC but puts out closer to 33. I had a 150 WPC Denon I replaced tis with and it is as loud or louder than the Denon.

Dig my high tech Redneck stereo cooling sysrem !

Now I need to get some worthy speakers.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Man, we had Q102 and The Zoo stickers everywhere back in the 80's. I think someone gave me a Q102 shirt as well. Forgot all about those stations.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
so you guys that have those older systems, are you buying a turntable and playing vinyl records?I have an old Denon in my workshop that I've had for years, and I ended up hooking a bluetooth receiver to the tape in, and I have a Amazon echo dot that stays connected to it so I stream music thru it when I'm out there. Never had a Marantz - someone mentioned McIntosh - that is a receiver I always wanted to have but never had the cash to buy. About the best I could afford back in the day was a used Sansui
Turntables/vinyl? Aside from my 75 year immersion in music, and even though we have lived in various parts of the US and have moved a few times, I seem to be a hoarder of hi fi equipment. I have kept just about every turntable acquired since 1958, including Garrard, Rec O Cut, Thorens, Audio Tehnica, Tecnics DD, Miracord, Sony DD, Transcriptor Skeleton, etc. What a pile of flotsam - but I do use some of them.

Also have kept most of the vinyl - everything - from classical to jazz to rock/pop to show tunes to some country, to Christian etc. There must be 300 of them here - and recent MOVED THEM AGAIN.. Just nutso - but happy. So - yes - we do use the TTs and listen to old vinyl. I do think that tubes sound more natural.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Be careful buying old used speakers. Many used foam surrounds in the woofers and mid-range drivers and the foam over time will disintegrate. It was the foam surrounds disintegrating that put an end to my EPI 100 T/E speakers. The vast majority of the old speakers that had foam surrounds, that are still working today, have had the surrounds or drivers replaced. When I ordered my Human 81s, at the time there was a choice between foam or butyl rubber surrounds. I went with the slightly less responsive but more durable butyll rubber. The drivers using butyl rubber surrounds are the only type he offers now.

http://humanspeakers.com/

You can re-foam yourself. Not hard to do. There are kits out there. I have done it. Need to do it again.

Yes, I know that most of the surrounds can be repaired/re-foamed. My EPI 100 T/E could not be because the foam actually formed the cone with some plastic material applied over the foam. Unlike other speakers, the foam was integral to the cone. The only option then was to replace the woofers. I could have done that as Human had replacement drivers for them but I got to Jonesing after the Human Speakers.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Had a Marantz for years, it finally gave up. Picked up this Sansui solid state eight. What a beast, very heavy! and an old set of Kenwoods. Sounds good to me! (old deaf ears)!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow. Marantz was, and still is, the best.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Congrats on the vintage receiver!

When my friend picked it up the guy he bought it from said that it had already been relamped with conventional bulbs. The meter lights on the left look a little green which I understand can be that the diffuser is yellowed. But he did install a new power supply and replaced all the capacitors that were bad or leaking. Which I barely know what that means.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hopefully he replaced the flux capacitor. We are boomers reliving our youth.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 32 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,440
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.