Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Can’t recall the last time I went swimming, I mean actual swimming as opposed to wading in the surf or cooling off in some creek. Might have been two decades back or more when my son was a youth.

Took the Kid to a pool today. OMG, if the ferry capsized I’d be one of them going down with the ship.

I was a fair hand once, obviously I need to get back into it, seems like a perfect exercise for older folks.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Our kids HS swim/dive team had T-shirts that said;

If swimming was easy,
It’d be called football!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

If swimming was easy,
It’d be called football!

IIRC the swim team kids are at it by 6:30am, even earlier than the Marching Band and Cross Country kids, every school day in season. The swim team kids often fall asleep in class, I usually let them.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We used to go through massive amounts of carbs during swim season.

Football coach thought it would be a good idea to “cross train” his players w some swimming. They are strong kids but had no clue how to swim, sadly. Especially here.

No way they could do thousands of yards in the pool. Daughter had 5-7 am swim practice plus 3-5 pm in college. Volleyball coach asked the swim coach “ how do you get them to show up @ 5am? If you sleep, you’re not on the team. Simple.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's great exercise and I gotta get back into it. Learned how to swim not too long after I got out of diapers. Grew up swimming in Lake Ontario and in the St. Lawrence River, Thousand Islands area. Was a 500 yard freestyler on the swim team in high school. Spent one summer ( 1970 ) of my military service as a lifeguard at the military beach of Camp LeJeune, N.C. ( Onslow Beach).. Got into scuba diving in the mid 1970's to mid 80's.. Turned 70 this year and been away from swimming for several years. I could use some good healthy exercise. I should get back to swimming.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Can’t recall the last time I went swimming, I mean actual swimming as opposed to wading in the surf or cooling off in some creek. Might have been two decades back or more when my son was a youth.

Took the Kid to a pool today. OMG, if the ferry capsized I’d be one of them going down with the ship.

I was a fair hand once, obviously I need to get back into it, seems like a perfect exercise for older folks.

How ironic (I think that’s the proper word), as I just discovered the very same thing about 3 weeks ago. We just got our pool “up and running”. It’s only 32 feet long, and making 2 passes was a bit difficult. Doing better now, but darn sure couldn’t do the “mile swim” like I used to when I was in scouts.....I might make 100 yards if it were life or death! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i was always a good swimmer but even in my best shape, i found it to be harder than any other exercise, running, lifting, etc. it is a total workout. i did the mile swim in boy scouts and i gotta tell ya, i'm glad there was a shallow end.

My diploma is a DD214
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My boys were both swimmers.

One summer all three of us were working salmon canning processing, as was one of their classmates/ swimming member. Said member was doing 12 hours day at the fish-factory, then, with my boys, going to swimming practice, and then partying (not my boys, to be clear).

He fell asleep swimming laps and crashed head first into the wall...

He ain't never going to live that down.

Last edited by las; 07/17/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
My boys were both swimmers.

One summer all three of us were working salmon canning processing, as was one of their classmates/ swimming member. Said member was doing 12 hours day at the fish-factory, then, with my boys, going to swimming practice, and then partying (not my boys, to be clear).

He fell asleep swimming laps and crashed head first into the wall...

He ain't never going to live that down.

That boy got skeelz!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Yeah, he had a full ride scholarship but f**ed it away on drugs.. Idiot.

But a damned good swimmer!

Last edited by las; 07/18/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe that beer is less dense than water.

You need more beer.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

If swimming was easy,
It’d be called football!

ib, That's a good one!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to swim like a fish. Now I swim like a walrus.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My grandson's adult friend jsut found out the hard way you can't just pick up where you left off. He swam out too far and didn't make it back. His funeral was just the other day.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Try swimming when drunk

I’ve been told it’s about impossible by one who almost drowned trying to.

He swam on the LSU swimming team in his college days.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Try swimming when drunk

Might depend on level of drunkenness. Two stories about alcohol and the Ohio river...

High School buddy got drunk one night. On a dare, climbed up onto the catwalk under the Daniel Carter Beard (I-471 "Big Mac") bridge that crosses the Ohio river between Newport, KY and Cincinnati, OH (2,100ft span). And jumped into the river from the middle of the bridge. Being drunk and disoriented, when he popped up, he swam toward the Cincinnati shoreline. When he was almost to shore, he noticed that the Cincinnati PD had a 'Welcoming Committee" waiting to receive him. So, he turned around and swam back across the river to the KY side. And survived.

My buddy was physically fit. Not so impressed that he was able to swim 1,000 yards even while drunk enough to jump 50-60 feet into the water on a dare. However, in retrospect, very surprised that he did not get run over by speed boaters or river barges in the process. Very active river traffic in that section of the river during the summer, even at night.

OTOH, first wife's uncle was partying on the river in his run about. Also a strong swimmer. Stood up on the transom to take a pee. Fell in. Did not pop up until 3 days later.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Try swimming when drunk

Might depend on level of drunkenness. Two stories about alcohol and the Ohio river...

High School buddy got drunk one night. On a dare, climbed up onto the catwalk under the Daniel Carter Beard (I-471 "Big Mac") bridge that crosses the Ohio river between Newport, KY and Cincinnati, OH (2,100ft span). And jumped into the river from the middle of the bridge. Being drunk and disoriented, when he popped up, he swam toward the Cincinnati shoreline. When he was almost to shore, he noticed that the Cincinnati PD had a 'Welcoming Committee" waiting to receive him. So, he turned around and swam back across the river to the KY side. And survived.

My buddy was physically fit. Not so impressed that he was able to swim 1,000 yards even while drunk enough to jump 50-60 feet into the water on a dare. However, in retrospect, very surprised that he did not get run over by speed boaters or river barges in the process. Very active river traffic in that section of the river during the summer, even at night.

OTOH, first wife's uncle was partying on the river in his run about. Also a strong swimmer. Stood up on the transom to take a pee. Fell in. Did not pop up until 3 days later.

Thinking that your buddy probably sobered up about halfway into that jump when realizing what he was doing !
Grins

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
You go on water in my boat, you wear a PFD

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I swam competitively for 20 years and still try to swim 2000 yards 3 times a week. I can still do it at 59 years old, but it’s nothing compared to when I did 13000+ yards a day. After college I was active in the masters swimming. It’s great low impact excersize. My kids all swam competitively through college. IMO, there’s not a better sport. I remember the daily 5 am practice before school, and again after school. 4+hr/day practices. I remember very well the football players and wrestlers that were sent by their coaches to cross train with us, none of them lasted more than 2 weeks, they just couldn’t handle the pain or grueling schedule. They couldn’t believe what we went through day in and day out. It paid off for me and my kids, full scholarships, healthy lifestyle, strong bodies, school/regional records, lots of travel and recently we weighed their medals/awards - 52 pounds, a huge wall-full of medals and trophies. We’re very proud of them!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My mom sent me to swimming lesson at age 6.
The whole 9 yards of that from bubble breathing to autralian crawl.

Got certified as a Red Cross lifesaver as a 12 yr old at the state YMCA summer camp in Maine.
Down at Cobossacontee lake. IIRC
Probably about 8 of us did the course out of 250 300 kids their that summer.
Took the entire 2 weeks of summer camp.
All the other kids" swimming " in the roped off area.
Us 8 out in "open water" toiling away.
Was kinda a cred thing for us though.
Got my 1st hand full of tittie from some girl named cynthia doing cross chest behind the back sidestroke tows.

Lol!!!

Always enjoyed ROCKFISH and their antics doing CWST training in the Army over the years.
Comic gold stuff watching them.
Fugga,s need kids arm floaties and kick boards if they could use em
just to stay afloat.
Tread water for 10 mins.... Lol!!!
Later sinker.........
Say hello to Davey Jones and check out his locker while your down their.
Never seen a species of mammal so fugging terrified of water.

LOL!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 07/19/20.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, Akhutr, 7 invisible), 1,692 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,908
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.