Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Very little useful science has come from the ISS. 90% of everything we know about the universe has been discovered during my short lifetime, and none of it has come from the ISS.

I suspect the ISS crews could tell us what it's like to screw in outer space. So there's one mystery solved.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you think nothing has come from the ISS, you either have not done any research or you are willfully ignoring it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
For one thing, he was a civilian and Arlington is for military.

He was a Veteran and could have at least had inurnment at Arlington because of being a Veteran.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I stand corrected.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Granted, I am lower IQ than the general public. ( I was going to join the flat earth society, until I went to sea in my youth, so yeah, it appears to be somewhat round.)
Rocky, polite patient guy that he is, is kind of our go-to guy on things above angels 50. So, rumor has it that we put brave exceptional men on the moon some years back, we have grainy black and white film (similar to Bigfoot films) to prove it. So fast forward 50 years...now we need to buy a Russian Bus ticket to get to the ISS? Scathing comments and explanations please.

Manned flight to the moon may have happened. It just seems very implausible. If it did occur it seems a huge waste of borrowed money. Think of the rocks that could have been moved to the coast and the Great Lakes water that could have been moved to the arid west with the money. And the people employed in doing that.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are you under the impression that nobody was employed to design, build, and manage the space program? Because Apollo used parts and services from every state in the US, and every cent was spent right here on Earth.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by sse

Pretty neat...

AI Enhanced

Those guys had ice water for blood.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's amazing the way they pulled that off in a studio and all. wink

Tarquin
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wonder when critical thinking hit an all-time low in the US. I also wonder when it was at its peak. I have some educated guesses.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarquin
It's amazing the way they pulled that off in a studio and all. wink

Well, they used Stanley Kubrick to film it but he was such perfectionist he said it had to be shot on location. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yes we went to the moon.
I am sure of it as I am sure that ain't footage of it.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pugs
Here we go...

They exist and it boggles the mind. grin

I ran into one this spring! laugh
I went for a walk at a park and his dog came over to me and as I was petting the dog I got into a conversation with him and his friend.
Don't remember how we got on the subject but he informed me that the earth is flat and man has never left the earth so we have never been to the moon! shocked
Telling me how it was all filmed in a warehouse in Hollywood
As he was telling me this I could see his friend glancing at him grinning like, here he goes again.
His friend was trying to keep a straight face and I got the impression this was nothing new to him.
Both young guys about 20yo.
I walked away just amazed at the stupidity.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some people are just lunatics.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

That's not an argument.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by ringworm
Yes we went to the moon.
I am sure of it as I am sure that ain't footage of it.

Same here.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Well done.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My older brother wouldn't let me go to bed my usual time and miss man's first steps on the moon. I was eight, and he was twelve. He insisted I stay up and watch it live. He said I would always regret it if I chose not to watch it live. He finally convinced me, and I stayed up with him to watch it. I could barely keep my eyes open, but I did see it live.

My grandma, a devout Southern Baptist, told us it would never work, because it was an insult to God to seek to land on the moon, so it would never happen. She only believed it because Walter Cronkite said it really happened. She wasn't aware he was a communist at the time.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The dune buggy was a bit much...Kubrick should've known better.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
We don't go to the moon now because there is no purpose in going there.

Back then we (a) wanted to show the world that we could beat the Russians and (b) do some science. The first purpose no longer exists and today it is cheaper and better to do science with unmanned robot spacecraft. In fact, the Apollo program was abruptly cancelled in the middle of it. Three great ships were already constructed when the program was scrapped, but the people no longer cared. You can go tour one of them at Cape Canaveral, lying on its belly like a dead whale. You can. I won't.

Apollo was the finest technical achievement of the American nation. 400,000 people, including me, had a part in it. We will never see its like again. I also predict, despite NASA's wishes to preserve 30,000 bureaucratic jobs, that we will never make a human landfall on Mars, for the same reasons.

After Apollo, NASA squandered its funds and reputation on the Shuttle, one of the worst designed engineering projects in history. It failed to meet any of its objectives. As it ended up, the only purpose of the Shuttle was to go to the ISS. The only purpose of the ISS was to provide a destination for the Shuttle.

Very little useful science has come from the ISS. 90% of everything we know about the universe has been discovered during my short lifetime, and none of it has come from the ISS.

The shuttle put Hubble in orbit and subsequently made it possible to transport the new camera and other parts need to correct it. That’s just one of many things it did. I’m not a fan of the shuttle program but don't you think it’s a little disingenuous or harsh to say It didn’t meet any of its objectives?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,437
Posts18,470,834
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.