-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just watched it on Amazon Prime. Educational, but I have to ask where were the Bunny Boots/Mickey Mouse Boots for those guys instead of those shoe pacs? They were so crippled up from the cold weather that they couldn’t have been very effective. They did mention that the supply lines were pretty poor, but warm boots on our guys sure would have been welcome. The Chinese were even supplied with less.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I visited with an older fellow (now gone) here in town. He was at Chosin in the Army. He was proud of his service and a bit resentful that it is generally portrayed as solely a Marine event.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had the privilege of meeting and hearing speak General Raymond Davis who as a Lt. Col during the Chosin Reservoir campaign and as he states, His men earned him the Congressional Medal of Honor!

A fine man.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I visited with an older fellow (now gone) here in town. He was at Chosin in the Army. He was proud of his service and a bit resentful that it is generally portrayed as solely
a Marine event.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chosin_Reservoir_order_of_battle

But such general population ignorance is
nothing new, for we also have folks wrongly
believing that the 300 Spartans and Roman
Legions achieved their noted great victories
all on their own, which is quite far from the
actual truth.

[should be noted that in ancient times that
the likes of Romans and Nordic Norseman
were land troops that could embark vessels
to conduct amphibious assault landings
when required.]

When Julius Caesar went to Brittania, his
men "fought them on the beaches" in some
cases knee or near waist deep in water...
they were able to thrust and slash their way
to shore and properly form up the legions
for battle.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a cousin (mom's mom's mom's brother's boy---figure that one out for me) who we were close to when I grew up. I called him Uncle Bill, and he was one hell of a guy. I am pretty sure he was at Chosin that winter...I remember hearing it mentioned, but it was in the following spring when he did this:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Silver Star citation

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Model70Man. " ... I've heard it said that Gen. MacArthur was the greatest actor to ever wear a uniform. He was a prima donna glory hungry loser who cost many lives during WWII unnecessarily. He just had to "return" to the Philippines in order to glorify himself at the expense of so many American lives. ... "

Model70Man, I strongly suggest if you want to learn why your statement is highly inaccurate, pick up a copy of American Caesar, by William Manchester, Little, Brown & Co. Publs., ©1978. You'll learn why it was necessary to return to the Philippines. MacArthur had his faults but being a "loser" was not one of them.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a pretty good book on the Chosin Reservoir campaign ,
title
Breakout the Chosin Reservoir campaign Korea 1950 by Martin Russ

It's pretty good read don't know how totally accurate it is seems the Marines had a pretty low opinion of most of the army forces that were there

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Windfall
I just watched it on Amazon Prime. Educational, but I have to ask where were the Bunny Boots/Mickey Mouse Boots for those guys instead of those shoe pacs? They were so crippled up from the cold weather that they couldn’t have been very effective. They did mention that the supply lines were pretty poor, but warm boots on our guys sure would have been welcome. The Chinese were even supplied with less.

Bunny boots were a product of the extreme cold of the Korean War. They were only just then being introduced and not generally available until later in the war.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I had a cousin (mom's mom's mom's brother's boy---figure that one out for me) who we were close to when I grew up. I called him Uncle Bill, and he was one hell of a guy. I am pretty sure he was at Chosin that winter...I remember hearing it mentioned, but it was in the following spring when he did this:

First cousin, twice removed.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,940
Posts18,498,902
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.