Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cash,

I'm betting the terminology not lining up is a regional thing.

Out this way, SoCal, WA, NorCal, even in SE AK if I recall, the folks all say "I've got to get up early today, we're pouring concrete at 0700".

Been that way since I was a teenager, and that was a while ago.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by tzone

6 bags of cement go into the mix of one cubic yard. I forget the exact yield strength at 30 days but I believe it to be 3600 PSI or better.

Fair enough but some of that numbers determinant on the coarse and fine aggregate obviously. Doesn't really matter though anything / 3600 PSI is plenty durn strong.

It can also work the opposite way. If oolitic limestone is used... such as in South Florida... much less Portland can be added to the mix to achieve higher 28 day yields.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Cash,

Out this way, SoCal, WA, NorCal, even in SE AK if I recall, the folks all say "I've got to get up early today, we're pouring concrete at 0700".

I've listened to people say pour concrete for decades. It is a very commonplace term. I've also found that 90% of the people in the world think they are concrete experts. In reality very few are.

When I hear a man use the term Place concrete instead of poor I immediately pay attention that they may know what they're talking about.

The magical thing is that concrete sets up hard and if you're modestly skilled you can make it relatively flat. That does not make you an expert anymore then successfully ordering a Big Mac at McDonald's makes you a gourmet Diner.

There is huge money in fugging up concrete and being able to come back to the client 10 years later and replacing the work for an additional payment.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Good luck with your concrete placement this morning. Please do not forget the air entrainment. IMHO 6% air entrainment is the most important decision you can make about concrete.

More incorrectness.

If you're going to give someone schit...at least get it right.

Not a clue what you're talking about but entrained air is absolutely vital to concrete.

You're welcome to correct me by whatever logic you care to use.

It certainly is not "vital" but it's useful. It can do more harm than good when used incorrectly. Too little is better than too much by a long shot. None is also fine if it's a house,garage, warehouse, or underground, or in non freezing regions. It's strictly for freeze/thaw applications and not much else. Too much and you weaken your mix.

Driveways and roads in cold climates. Yes. More so in roads than driveways. Parking ramps in cold climates...Probably Uncovered outdoor sports like basketball and tennis courts, useful.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Good luck with your concrete placement this morning. Please do not forget the air entrainment. IMHO 6% air entrainment is the most important decision you can make about concrete.

More incorrectness.

If you're going to give someone schit...at least get it right.

Not a clue what you're talking about but entrained air is absolutely vital to concrete.

You're welcome to correct me by whatever logic you care to use.

It certainly is not "vital" but it's useful. It can do more harm than good when used incorrectly. Too little is better than too much by a long shot. None is also fine if it's a house,garage, warehouse, or underground, or in non freezing regions. It's strictly for freeze/thaw applications and not much else. Too much and you weaken your mix.

Driveways and roads in cold climates. Yes. More so in roads than driveways. Parking ramps in cold climates...Probably Uncovered outdoor sports like basketball and tennis courts, useful.

Very fair assessment... and you are absolutely right that too much is a nightmare.

Generally, when they add it at the batch plant they will get it right.

I also think of concrete in the terms of hundreds of years. But in reality most concrete will be torn out and replaced with a new road or bridge much sooner than that.

On a side note, my first experience with super p... , the batch plant added too much and we had to babysit that soup for 2 days... what a royal pain in the butt that was.

Last edited by CashisKing; 07/31/20. Reason: Typos.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by KFWA
so many people have commented on the shared pond, which honestly I never really gave much thought to that I brought it up to my wife last night.

There is a pretty long list of things to get squared away. I'm glad I posted about it here and got some feedback on it.

Would you want a shared lawn, without well written specifics as to who pays for what type of maintenance and when? What sports can be played on it, and when? Are 4 wheelers and motorcycles allowed to run around on it? Can I invite my after work softball team over to practice on it when your kids want to play croquet?

Or a shared garden area? Your peas are smothering out my lettuce.

What will you think of the nice pond if one morning, while sleeping in, you awake to the sound of Jet Skis roaring around??

One hard learned lesson I've learned, when I've had to fight too hard to get something I want, sometimes "the powers above" really didn't want me to have it in the first place. I'm a fighter by nature though, and I "win" a lot of them.................to my detriment sometimes (many times?? grin)

Good luck with it all.

I was coming from a different angle which is why I didn't give it much thought. We had been looking at some lakefront property where you have zero control over the usage of the water so sharing a pond, while I now realize has a host of potential problem, just didn't jump off the page at me.

Believe me, if I could have a pond I'd sure love the thing. But we had a house in escrow once, on a community well with 10 lots plumbed in. Only one other existing house, and he was a good guy. Showed me the paperwork he had regarding shared costs of maintenance/repairs, recorded with the deed as I recall. No issues there, if someone bought a lot and wanted in, those would be the conditions. 10K gallon tank on a 600' (or so) well. He did mention someone down the draw a few lots, not on one of the plumbed in ones, had scabbed in a garden hose fitting and ran a hose down to their [bleep] trailer. I thought, well we can look into that.

A few days later while inspecting the property again, I ran into a dude from the trailer and asked him about it. He immediately got huffy ( I was armed as I recall) and said to this effect "You can't cut us off, my brother made a deal with the previous owner." OK I said, can I get your brother to show me the paperwork on the deal? "Well, he's in Phoenix and he's really busy" (we were 4 hours north of there). I informed him I was "busy" too as I was trying to buy a house and 3.5 acres, and would like to know about the water deal. Right off the bat he starts with " You can't turn us off, we'll get a lawyer"..............That about did it, bad enough I have to deal with RE agents, ours and theirs, now we might get lawyers involved? Basically, screw that noise.

As this was going on the area had a 400K acre wildfire break out. When I went back one more time to check things out, the neighbor who was hooked up told me he woke up one morning, turned on the water to make his coffee and no pressure at his sink. Goes out to look around, no leaks in the yard, walks across the right of way to the well, looks and sees the 10K gallon tank is EMPTY. The wonderful folks (tweakers???) down the hill had set up sprinklers on the junky trailer and left to get away in case the fire came through that area. That did it for my wife and I, called the realtor lady and said we'll take the $1000 good faith loss.

It was nice place, a bit out of town, 40 minute drive on uncrowded country roads to where I worked, short drive to elk hunting, deer and small game right in that area. But, as it turns out I would have had to move to NM in a year or so when they relocated my work. So all that fighting and eventually "losing" actually turned out for the better in a Karmic sort of way.

Again, good luck with it all.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Reading through here again, I see where you are asking the realtor about access to pond etc. Don't trust the realtor. Do not believe anything they say if it is the seller's agent.

Ask for the pertinent info and look into it yourself or hire an attorney to look through the deeds, easements, covenants etc. Someone whose duty is to YOU.

Again, a majority of realtors are whores. And from the sounds of it, you are dealing with one of those.

Words of wisdom from Tarkio.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cash,

I've listened to people say pour concrete for decades. It is a very commonplace term. I've also found that 90% of the people in the world think they are concrete experts. In reality very few are.

When I hear a man use the term Place concrete instead of poor I immediately pay attention that they may know what they're talking about.

The magical thing is that concrete sets up hard and if you're modestly skilled you can make it relatively flat. That does not make you an expert anymore then successfully ordering a Big Mac at McDonald's makes you a gourmet Diner.

There is huge money in fugging up concrete and being able to come back to the client 10 years later and replacing the work for an additional payment.

All that is true, however I'd guess some of the folks I worked for might have been experts, or at least had one on staff, as they contracted for freeway bridges and other things along those lines. One project I worked for was a missile/jet engine testing pad. 4' deep footings, 3' wide, loads of 1' rebar, and all that surrounding a 3' thick slab with more reinforcement in it for the pylon that would hold up to the stress of a jet engine or missile motor full thrust test. If I recall, there was an additional footing, maybe 6' deep and 4' square under that pylon. That concrete "pour" was tested and tested again at every stage. There were so many cores laying around I could have built a very nice retaining wall with them, a tall and long one as a matter of fact.

At one time SoCal had some pretty big involvement in the aerospace industry, Convair, General Dynamics and such. Not to mention the place we built was adjoining Miramar Naval Air Station and might have had some .Gov input into the construction and use. The motors they tested were pretty powerful too, as I could here the tests at night at our place 20 miles or so away. I think if they were not "experts" in the concrete construction business, they were at least pretty well versed in it.

I'm not saying you're not correct, just that the experts in our area said "we're pouring that concrete today"

Might be different where you've worked, I've never poured, or placed, concrete in Virginia, so I can't speak to your terminology back there.

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Reading through here again, I see where you are asking the realtor about access to pond etc. Don't trust the realtor. Do not believe anything they say if it is the seller's agent.

Ask for the pertinent info and look into it yourself or hire an attorney to look through the deeds, easements, covenants etc. Someone whose duty is to YOU.

Again, a majority of realtors are whores. And from the sounds of it, you are dealing with one of those.

I wouldn't trust a realtor to baby sit a road killed cat !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Sch 40 and 80 depending if it’s underground or above ground (at the pole)
Yes, you’re correct . Where do you think I got 48” froth from? They inspect it and set the specs.

Can you show us where it specifies sch 40 and 80 for underground in the book?

Is sch 40 for > 48 inches burial depths, and sch 80 is for < 48 inches....and when did they put water PVC in the electrical code?

48cm is 18.9 inches, so atleast you’re within code stated in Column 3…with your sch “60” (nonmetallic)

I guess you just got confused with your centimeters and inches…..right?....or do you live in an area of the country that doesn’t require licensing to perform work in any of the trades?

It says 18 inches in Column 3, and while local authorities are allowed to make local codes “more” restrictive than what the book calls for, no local, anywhere in the country, is going to increase the requirement over 200% + from 18 inches to 48 inches, especially on underground and the additional labor that would entail.

Are you the one that handles the shovel on those jobs, because 48 inches is a long way down to get that horse stall smelling good?

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

IC B3

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn’t read any more responses after the original post.

I spent a year looking for property. I looked at over 40 places in person and a ton on the internet. I learned a BUNCH in the process. Many things that I am so happy that I learned about because I would have regretted it later.

If you are still deciding, send me a quick PM and we can discuss. Lots of details you should think about before you spend a dime. My place is in the Midwest too.

Good luck.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Nice property, but I don't think I'd want my house that close to the snakes home. I'd like just a wee bit more distance.

And yeah, multiple "owners" of that water, and you not having 100% control over what might be "put into that water" at a later date and possibly ruining one of your food sources, by some idiot, thereby making you liable to any future "cleanup", wouldn't be how you would want to "spend" your golden years.

Good luck in your search.

"He is far from Stupid"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just an FYI... concrete is placed, not poured.

Been working in the biz a long time. Nothing wrong with "pouring" concrete. But if you pour cement, it better be into the water/sand/rock. laugh

My current ACI certification is up in 3 /2021 I am now out of the testing of Portland concrete business, retired. Place or pour kinda depends on the amount of slump eh? MB

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 08/02/20.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
What day did you want to schedule the pour?

Yeah, the concrete plant "never" said those words OR the concrete sub-contractors.......LMAO

"He is far from Stupid"

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sure looks like a nice homeplace, but I know nothing of Indiana. We have common waterways everywhere here, but it is different.

Engineers and architects place concrete on paper with a pencil. Da brutha's pour it in forms and finish it. Air is a guess, fiber is a must.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Tell me again about the rabbits, George, like you done before. And I get to tend the rabbits, right George?

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 7 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,298
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.