Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
From yesterday's Elmira Paper:

ALBANY
Rifle measure awaits governor's signature
A bill sponsored by state Assemblymen Tom O'Mara, R-Horseheads, and Jim Bacalles, R-Corning, that could allow hunters to use a rifle during open season for deer and bear in Chemung, Steuben and Yates counties passed Wednesday in the state Assembly.

The decision to pass the bill was based upon a growing deer population and a decline in hunting which has resulted in increased crop damage and collisions with automobiles, according to a news release from O'Mara's office.

"The Southern Tier is a terrific spot for hunting, and as farmers and drivers know all too well, there is an abundance of deer in the Southern Tier," O'Mara said in the news release. "By allowing hunters to use rifles, we will make the Southern Tier a more desirable destination for sportsmen, while helping keep the deer population in check."

The legislation has passed the Senate and Assembly and now awaits the governor's signature.

I have to admit that I am surprised the bill passed the anti-gun assembly. Really hoping the governor signs it.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've hunted along the border area on the PA side for over 40 years. Never made any sense to me why the southern tier counties of western NY were limited to shotgun slugs for deer. The rural terrain and habitats on both sides of the border are nearly identical: Woods and agricultural, with small human populations.

Made even less sense a year or two ago, when NY made some of those counties "rifle" counties, but continued to require shotguns (and inlines) in Steuben County, since that county typically leads the state in deer kills.

Hope it passes. If it does, will probably start buying a non-resident tag for NY, since it's close to where I hunt in PA and NY's season overlaps our deer season. Good luck with your leftist Governor signing the bill.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Interesting...

I've heard our bill was dead in the water before it even reached Albany...

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I hope it passes. I grew up in Chemung county. We had alot of fun with the shotguns and slugs, but I rember some great bucks we could have gotten with a rifle. That was in the days before rifled barrels and sabots.

The hardest part is finding a big buck. The easiest part is getting "em" out. - Larry Benoit
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thats great, I hunt 1 mile from Steuben County in Ontario, close enough?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
That it was DOA doesn't make sense. Did you hear why?

Must be the youth hunting bill went nowhere again.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
For a couple of years now, I have been hunting in the town of Chemung. Lot of deer around. Good territory.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Southerntier8
That it was DOA doesn't make sense. Did you hear why?

Must be the youth hunting bill went nowhere again.

That it was/is rumor is the problem.

Hate to drag a politicians name through the mud without knowing the facts...but he is refusing to answer inquiries as to whether or not the rumor is true. No calls or letters have been answered that I know of. And I know there's been a bunch.

We had a town meeting with our NYS Assemblyman Bill Parment, who in fact wrote and submitted past Rifle Bills....and modified THIS one so that, he told us personally, it would pass. The modification he made to his own bill eliminated a populated portion of the county up near Lake Erie and we were assured that if this one didn't pass none could.

Mmmmmmmm.......

Now we hear rumor that once Parment got to Albany with the bill in hand he allowed his peers to talk him out of it. Looks good to us for trying and kept promises in the assembly he intended to keep, perfect politics.

He's been invited to talk on a radio program for an hour about it and his office has yet to accept...

I'd like to think it's all speculative rumor but he is NOT talking......

[Linked Image]
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I've hunted Orange & Ulster county for the last 10 years and have always used rifle. The place we hunt, the owner has several apple orchards plus he receives 100 pest permits and passes them out to his hunters. Have had good hunts in these counties. When I purchase my hunting lisence I always manage to obtain 2 anterless tags. Ken

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I as well as many other hunters in Chautauqua county will be absolutely furious if they don't pass this bill. We've been trying to get this to pass for along time but I have to say it's moving very slow. I'm still waiting to get replies from assemblyman Parment and senator Catharine Young.

HUNTERS, THE ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!!!
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Get your pistol chambered rifles now before they are scarce and over priced, just in case....

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Jeremiah...

Glad to have you aboard here at the 'Fire.

Been thru Dunkirk a few times, and Fredonia, and Silvercreek...

Rt. 60 ends at a family restaurant there in Dunkirk, big blue building on the water, killer Greek menu.....

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
ANYTHING centerfire would be legal....if it passes.

Even .223 AI's with swirled handles and turret knobs............

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wildswalker

Now we hear rumor that once Parment got to Albany with the bill in hand he allowed his peers to talk him out of it. Looks good to us for trying and kept promises in the assembly he intended to keep, perfect politics.

That is a crock! I sense the need for some ballot box retribution.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks wildswalker. The Restaurant is called Demitris, and yeah they do have pretty good greek food there. It's kinda funny I live right up the road from there but I have'nt been there in years.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Last time I was at Demitri's I had a sweet little auburn haired Greek Food lovin' honey sittin' next to me...

I've often wondered what ever happened to her......

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great News, my area of NY just switched over 2 seasons ago. The whole state should switch IMO.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I know alot of guys in Chautauqua county that are gonna use rifles anyways. This is gonna get crazy if they just start breaking laws because of a two faced smoke blowing politician!!! I can't say I blame them, most of the state is open for rifles now so why not Chautauqua?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I can hunt most anything I want with a rifle in Chautauqua County...except deer.

I can shoot a Grouse, or a Rabbit, or a Squirrel with my '06 and it's legal.

My GMU is split by a county line. I can walk next door and kill a deer with a rifle but I can't hunt my own poperty with one.

I can, unless it's deer season, put the smack on woofs all the way out to March with any rifle I choose, at any time of day or night I choose.

I can tote a 15 inch barreled handgun, chambered in ANY centerfire round I choose and hunt deer with that but not with my Ruger #1 25-06.....

I can buy and hunt with rifled shotgun barrels and slug ammo that benifit from modern technology and perform darn near like a rifle but I can't hunt deer with my Rem 700 30-06.

I can hunt deer with any inline ML on the market in any configuration I want with any combo of powder/primer/bullet I choose...but my boy has to wait until he is sixteen and he can't use his Rem 700 .243......

If I had a grape farm in the "zone" that Assemblyman Bill Parment proposed to be excluded from this new bill for reasons of Saftey Concern....I could aquire damage permits and shoot a semi truck load of deer with any rifle I want at any time of year I wanted to do it.

I won't break any laws, cause Rifle Country is only a few minutes walk for me away, but if the Legislators expect me to support my county with dollars spent during deer season then they'd best let me hunt with a Rifle.

If they expect me to vote for them the next time....then let me hunt with my Rifles........

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very well put Wildswalker, that's the best damn thing i've read in a long time!!!! Have you ever thought about running for office??? I'm not gonna let these politicians make up the rules for me anymore, I tried it their way and all they did was pi$$ down my back and try to tell me it was raining. I have thirty three acres and from now on i'm hunting it my way!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (1lesfox, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 37 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,208
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.