Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
What's the shortest barrel you guys would suggest for a suppressed AR10 that would be a tactical to about 200 yard rifle? Working on a lighter weight build that I could carry around comfortably for shorter periods of time, that would have more killing power than an AR15, but also be decent to around 200 yards in, let's say, an urban sniping scenario. I don't have any reason for wanting such a weapon these days. Just a hypothetical question of course πŸ€”

200 yards and in I don't see a benefit in anything on an AR10 platform. But what you are talking about sounds like a 300 blackout SBR can handle.

Seems like a lighter weight AR10 could deliver about 2x the terminal kinetic energy in a varmint size round versus a typical 223. That may be advantageous against someone with a vest or behind any barrier.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
GB4

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
What's the shortest barrel you guys would suggest for a suppressed AR10 that would be a tactical to about 200 yard rifle? Working on a lighter weight build that I could carry around comfortably for shorter periods of time, that would have more killing power than an AR15, but also be decent to around 200 yards in, let's say, an urban sniping scenario. I don't have any reason for wanting such a weapon these days. Just a hypothetical question of course πŸ€”

Sierra's tipped game king in 165 grain 308 will reliably expand (> 1400 fps) to about 415 yards out of a 16". Can't recall the energy numbers I'd have to run them through a calculator again. Plenty to kill an elk though.

My 16" ar10 in 308 is a pussycat with my Speer TNT 125 grain handloads running about a 300 savage level charge of BLC2 out of milsurp brass. Kills everything in the South too.

Mine has a 3x prism scope and weighs less than 9.5 lbs with the optic and mag. Does great with a rugged razor, but the yhm resonator k or sandman k/s would all be great too.

Hell of a setup.

A 6.5 Grendel or 300 Ham'r will just about do the same thing and be lighter, but I like the 308 for nostalgia and commonality.

If you just want to be able to kill thin skinned mammals at 200 yards, literally any AR15 in 223/556 will do just fine with a decent bullet.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

200 yards and in I don't see a benefit in anything on an AR10 platform. But what you are talking about sounds like a 300 blackout SBR can handle.

Seems like a lighter weight AR10 could deliver about 2x the terminal kinetic energy in a varmint size round versus a typical 223. That may be advantageous against someone with a vest or behind any barrier.

Shoot them in the face!

Funny how we have been killing our enemies with the 5.56 for a long time.

The penalties of the AR10 for use as a 200 yard and in rifle just don't add up. But have at it all you want.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After having AR15 rifles, as well as a light AR10, the 5.56 rifles would be my pick for defense, due to recoil and shot to shot recovery of your sight picture. With that being said, the .308 is certainly my pick in a hunting role. Hogs, deer, coyotes will die with .22cal loads, but it’s not as reliable on game as the .30cal. Blood trails on chest shots are often iffy with the smaller caliber.

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I recently bought a Deadair Nomad 30, with the Keymo option. Waiting for the paperwork to clear and take possession.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
mark

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

That is some of the data that lead me to buying the Varminter 4.0 now known as the Banish 30.Can't wait to get it in my hands!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
But if weight and not being takedown isn't a factor the YHM is a steal!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Bullet stability is always the challenge at lower speeds for guns less than medium bore.

Other options may vary.

If I was shooting 200 yards... I would be shooting a .458 something...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Agreeed... a 375 Raptor AR-10... would be better.

Bigger bore is always better at delivering energy.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
People have never held up well to bullets. I see zero reason to go to the larger platform for the task that was given.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Friend of mine that had done a lot of research on the topic made a suggestion to me when I started working up subsonic loads.

He specifically said use the fastest powder that you possibly can and get the explosion over and done with as quickly as possible for the greatest reduction in noise.

I have found that advice to be very helpful.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Powder doesn't explode it burns

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Build your own. I've seen a piece of aluminum conduit and a handful of freeze plugs outperform a bunch of high dollar commercial suppressors. The loudest noise was the snap of the firing pin when using Eley Tenex subsonic target ammo in a .22 bolt action.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Found an old video... FF to about 0:45 if you are an impatient sort.

I believe this is a lane 458 suppressor. I know for a fact it is a lane suppressor... because the video game from the lane website.

https://youtu.be/jw7BpDSMYOw

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by duck911
I run 3 tubes, 2 are Lane. I won't mention the 3rd (*cough* yhm *Cough*), because it will eventually be a Lane.

https://www.silencercentral.com/wp-...eviewed-The-Truth-About-Guns-Article.pdf

In this article, it looks like the YHM was lighter, cost less and had a greater db reduction than the Lane. I'm starting to see the allure of the Lane here.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by duck911
I run 3 tubes, 2 are Lane. I won't mention the 3rd (*cough* yhm *Cough*), because it will eventually be a Lane.

https://www.silencercentral.com/wp-...eviewed-The-Truth-About-Guns-Article.pdf

In this article, it looks like the YHM was lighter, cost less and had a greater db reduction than the Lane. I'm starting to see the allure of the Lane here.

I became very good friends with an FFL SOT after i had already purchaaes a Bowers and 3 Thunder Beast. This is how I became introduced to Lane. Furthermore, I was getting Lane suppressors at wholesale dealer cost.

I love their serviceability, I love the fact that they do not deteriorate accuracy, I very much like dealing with the company and the fact that they were super cheap for me was also a huge Plus.

I have no experience with YHM... but if others say they are first class I would consider that opinion valid.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Shove the end of the barrel in a Democrat's ear pull trigger.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,920
Posts18,479,752
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.