Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Pabst Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I called and talked to Mel today, kinda got cut off but will call back tomorrow to finish up. I'm interested in a model 20 in 7/08 but haven't decided on barrel contour or material.

I asked about a #2 contour, having experienced the balance of a fieldcraft in 270 and also one of the 6.5 CMs in 22" threaded. I was surprised when he replied with a question as to why I'd ever do that. Lol. He mentioned it would be 7 oz heavier than a similar rifle with #1 contour due to weight he would need to add inside the stock to make it balance. Kinda made me scratch my head, would love to hear thoughts on that...

HR IC

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yep that’s the way he builds them, and it works!

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d Just buy a fieldcraft if I were you. I’ve had 2 Nula’s made, neither one was worth the money or the wait. I just thought the first one was a lemon until I got the second one.

E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I received a 7-08 m20 last week with a no1 and it balances fine but kinda wish I went with a no2. I ordered it in November

Pabst Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good to hear turnaround is under a year, that's good news. How would you say balance feels? Slightly nose heavy? Which scope did you go with?

I've got 2 Fieldcrafts, both excellent and both #2. I'd say the 22" CM is balanced perfectly but I really love the 270.

Last edited by Pabst; 08/07/20.
IC B2

E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I have a vx3 3-10 but it is not tracking correctly so will be switching it up. Balance is good and the rifle handles very nice. Another member helped me out for a upcoming trip and sold me a ula with a 2.5 or 3 contour rifle which is really nice to shoot.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RBO
I’d Just buy a fieldcraft if I were you. I’ve had 2 Nula’s made, neither one was worth the money or the wait. I just thought the first one was a lemon until I got the second one.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS IN SPADES^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pabst
Good to hear turnaround is under a year, that's good news. How would you say balance feels? Slightly nose heavy? Which scope did you go with?

I've got 2 Fieldcrafts, not excellent and both #2. I'd say the 22" CM is balanced perfectly but I really love the 270.

#2 Contour????? 270 24" barrel and it is a #1 contour.

Pabst Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ejo
I have a vx3 3-10 but it is not tracking correctly so will be switching it up. Balance is good and the rifle handles very nice. Another member helped me out for a upcoming trip and sold me a ula with a 2.5 or 3 contour rifle which is really nice to shoot.

Thanks for the info. I'm planning to use a vortex razor lh that I have here, thinking the weight is comparable to your vx3 as far as balance goes. Maybe a few oz heavier.

Do you prefer the heavier contour Ula? Happen to know diameter at the muzzle?

Last edited by Pabst; 08/07/20.
Pabst Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I've got 2 Fieldcrafts, not excellent and both #2. I'd say the 22" CM is balanced perfectly but I really love the 270.

I was thinking both of my Fieldcrafts had the same barrel contour (minus the threaded muzzle on the CM) but will post muzzle measurements.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by ejo
I received a 7-08 m20 last week with a no1 and it balances fine but kinda wish I went with a no2. I ordered it in November

I had the same thought after ordering a #1 barrel (22") on a .308 at least ten years ago. After getting used to shooting a very light rifle on the bench, my concerns vanished. This rifle remains very accurate after much shooting and years of trying many different bullets and load combinations. The balance is perfect and the light weight (just under six pounds with scope) is really welcome when trekking upwards on an elk hunt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The Fieldcraft 270 @ 24" is a no.2 contour.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Pabst Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
270 is 0.610" at the muzzle, CM is 0.630" just behind the threaded adapter.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Brad

The Fieldcraft 270 @ 24" is a no.2 contour.

Previous owner told me it was a # 1 . I just measured it and it is .610, sorry for the confusion.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
you have to remember why Melvin built his rifle to remove all the weight he could that wasnt needed and that is his theory behind a #2 versus a #1 taper barrel
both will shoot and handle great.....

a crap shoot with Melvins rifles....I dont think so and if your not happy you have a 30 return policy with your rifle.... after 7000 rifles and thirty years he wouldnt be in business if he made lemons

fieldcrafts are nice rifles and i have a few nula and a few fieldcrafts...both shoot better than me....

I like a #2 taper on my nula rifles....308 and 260

another thought on the fieldcraft ....not sure they are going to make them again and i only say that because they took the facebook and email down at barrett

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RBO

I've had two NULA's (well, actually my second will arrive next week via UPS). The first was a .257 Roberts Imp. and I should never have sold it. Beautiful rifle and very accurate too. If you can score a Fieldcraft, by all means do so since they weigh the same as the NULA and are $2000 cheaper. The problem is Barrett has paused production of the Fieldcraft and they are getting scarce. That said, the NULA is worth every penny and $3700 for a custom rifle these days is very fair. Also, I like the cheek piece on the NULA better than the Fieldcraft. The other advantage about the NULA is you can get in just about any caliber. Melvin can do you a 6.5 x .284 that will do 3000 fps with a 140 grain bullet and 22" bbl in his Model 20 action which allows you to seat the bullet to just a hair under 3.00" long.

Last edited by Tarquin; 08/07/20.

Tarquin
Pabst Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks everyone. I'm really happy with both of my Fieldcrafts, just wanting one of Melvin's rifles while he's still at it. I spoke with him briefly today and will probably finish up on Monday.

Leaning toward 22" #2 in 7/08 and his classic green stripe paint scheme. He said lead time is around 10 mo these days.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gene270
you have to remember why Melvin built his rifle to remove all the weight he could that wasnt needed and that is his theory behind a #2 versus a #1 taper barrel

a crap shoot with Melvins rifles....I dont think so and if your not happy you have a 30 return policy with your rifle.... after 7000 rifles and thirty years he wouldnt be in business if he made lemons

fieldcrafts are nice rifles and i have a few nula and a few fieldcrafts...both shoot better than me....

another thought on the fieldcraft ....not sure they are going to make them again and i only say that because they took the facebook and email down at barrett

Supposedly once they are freed up from their huge contract they will start making them again in 2021. I will look at a 7mm-08 when that happens.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by gene270

Supposedly once they are freed up from their huge contract they will start making them again in 2021. I will look at a 7mm-08 when that happens.

I'm going 6.5 Creedmoor, just so many better ammo options, but no flies on the 7mm08

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Having had 3 NULAs, I would go #1 contour. Any thicker and you are giving back some of the weight advantage you are paying for. IMHO.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

449 members (219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 16gage, 52 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,831
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.