Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by renegade50
Rem corelock is available on gunbroker on buy now option and other places.

Leverevolution also.

Just gotta go back several pages and look.

Gonna check out armslist .
Back in a few.

give it up man

These cantankerous old types see those “pointed bullets” and you’ll get a raking for being a nincompoop.

Lol!!!

Simple search of armlist
Turned up .35 200 gr corelock also.

Its out their to be found....
You just gotta buy it.........

Not 1975 prices though.
Which may come as a shocker to the old cat............

LOL!!!

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm will be 77 in ten days.The reason us stubborn old guys are like that is long ago we found out what works and figure if it isn't broke, don't try to fix it. We don't go out and buy every new rifle with some whiz bang cartridge that comes on the market thinking it will make us a better hunter when in fact they don't. Those guys never learned in the first place that is doesn't make much difference what is stamped on the case head if you leaned how to hunt in the first place.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
“Uhhhhhhuhhhh..huhuuuuuuuhhhh.....I bought this last box at the Woolworth’s for $3.88 ...great day in the mornin, boy howdy...they must be made o’ gold now’ordays”

laugh laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I wanna Limburger cheese sandwich, some donald duck cartoons a nap

lol

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Got 125 rds of Sellior & Belllot 8mm 196gr SPCE rounds .
100 of em same lot #

Thinking ahead when ya run low rather than out.
Which for me was when I had 1 full box left and 5 rounds from the previous 80 I intially had....

Some of us "young guys" (57) can hunt also......
LOL!!!

Some old guys were and have been fools their entire life...

Waiting to say that trump card that "age brings wisdom" wives tales saying.

Some of em even looked forward to the day they could say it all the time.

Like it is some sort of nugget to be dropped every chance they can for being a idiot their entire life and no one is around alive that remembers numbnuts from back in the day to check fire em....

JMO....

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ren, go to the hot dog thread

laughing

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
Most all of us are set in our ways. I like what I likes!!!

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^IS SO F....ING TRUE ABOUT ALL OF US.

I've had a Remington 722 rebarreled in 1989 by Douglas to 7mm08, put a cheap Six Enterprises composite stock on it. Not my only rifle but has been one of my favorites over the years and I've taken elk, deer, antelope,bear, coyotes with it. Both sons killed game with it growing up. My daughter in law killed her first deer with it and loved it so much I told her she could have it so I could justify buying the new Barrett Fieldcraft 7mm08 and I did.

Guess what? I took it out and I like the way my old Rem 722 handles better. Proved to myself how set in my ways I am and I dont mind at all.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, running the 3031 first because I have plenty of that. I don't have the rifle yet, will though. The insides of that rifle are clean and tight. He's not the type to toss it in the closet until next year. As far as I know he have this rifle, an old bolt action 22, a Winchester Model 12 and two pistols. He's a hunter, not a shooter.

He is actually a motorhead, cars, trucks and bikes. He has a three car garage I've seen that he works in. You could do surgery in there, pin neat, even has shadow boards on the walls. He was some kind of aircraft builder or designer, engineer type. I remember him telling me years ago when he retired that he was going to be a consultant.

Cameron's wife died something like 8 or 9 years ago and he just dropped off the map for a time. He has a little place in Kentucky, family place, I don't know if he went there for a while.

Not my place to know and he ain't the type you go probing around for private info. The type that if he wants you to know he'll tell you.

The thought that comes to mind is I have all extra stuff. All the tools for reloading. Maybe I should offer to loan it to him and show him how. That and my old Lyman 49th manual should do I'd think.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Originally Posted by Armednfree

The thought that comes to mind is I have all extra stuff. All the tools for reloading. Maybe I should offer to loan it to him and show him how. That and my old Lyman 49th manual should do I'd think.

If you get along with the old bugger then that is the approach I would take...sounds like he likes to tinker.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought a used rifle decided to figure out how it was sighted rather than re zero it.

I learned quite a bit. Accepted that bondage was a separate issue and proceeded to work the last setting out..
Bought some used books of similar vintage as the rifle and viola, I learned how it was sighted and why it was sighted that way ..
200gn. RN make a lot of sense at less than long distance.
You can work with a Dirty BC and lower load to come close but a RN is a great way to scrub off velocity quickly...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think a lot of Cameron's thing is that he is of Scottish decent I believe. The first name is Scottish as is the last and he has these Sean Connery like facial features. And he is a miserly man. He buys stuff and keeps it up. I mean he drives something like a '85 F-150 and it is really kind of cherry looking. I kind of wonder how many times he's rebuilt that thing.

Last edited by Armednfree; 08/07/20.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think a lot of Cameron's thing is that he is of Scottish decent I believe. The first name is Scottish as is the last and he has these Sean Connery like facial features. And he is a miserly man. He buys stuff and keeps it up. I mean he drives something like a '85 F-150 and it is really kind of cherry looking. I kind of wonder how many times he's rebuilt that thing.

That IS a man who needs to get in to loading.

It is made for him.

Once he gets established introduce him to a Slnclairs catalogue.

Last edited by JSTUART; 08/07/20.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
This older man I know, about 77 now, has been deer hunting his whole life. He always goes to W. Virginia and Kentucky. He stopped going to PA. because according to him there are too many stupid people and azzholes now.

Anyway, this guy has been using the same Marlin 336 35 Rem all this time. Since the early 70's I'd say. He put a very low power scope on it some years ago, many years ago, because he has the same old eyes we all tend to get. The thing looks like it was dragged behind a truck, but it will still put 5 inside 2" at 100yrds.

He always shot Remington 200 grain. He says it's getting hard to find and expensive. He wants me to load for him. I figure a 200 grain Hornady RN, not sure what powder. Another thing is moving the adjustments on that scope that have been setting on that same spot for a decade and a half or more. Will they move, will they break, I don't know. I think it's an old Leupold, not sure.

He has been a still hunter all this time, and very successful at it. He says, "If you're sitting you are watching, not hunting." and, "If you can't kill it with a 30-30 or a 35 because it's too far, you're shooting not hunting."

Like I said, old, stubborn, set in his ways and opinions. No point of doing anything except just nod in agreement with him.

I use the 200 gr. Hornady RN for my 336 in the wildcat 35-30 chambering, which is very close to the 35 Rem. I use them because they are really accurate, for one, and they coast a little less and are easy to find in stock. I have used IMR 3031 with great success, so I stick with it. I never load to max, but just a few grains lower, or whatever shoots best. If you know what speed the rounds were that he shot, the Hornadys should be close to the same POA.....close , but not exact. As for the scope, all you can do is try. If it doesn't shoot where you point, it isn't worth much anyway.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Make the old guy a deal he can't refuse, you supply him in all the ammo he wants and he takes you deer hunting 1 day a season. Watch what he does and listen when he speaks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART
That IS a man who needs to get in to loading.

It is made for him.

Once he gets established introduce him to a Slnclairs catalogue.
I just noticed you have a mean streak. laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless you're sure his factory ammo's not available anywhere I'd make a strong effort to find it on line for him first. It will be a lot less hassle overall unless you get lucky and don't have to re zero his scope.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I saw Cameron Sunday fishing at the club. He is going to borrow the equipment.

He said he won a 22 hornet at a raffle. He said it was made in Czechoslovakia but he can't use the sights. What he describes sounds like a CZ 527 LUX. Well, I think I have the perfect scope for him. An old Redfield, old like it has friction ring adjustments. Perfect shape, really clear. I don't think I will offer to give it to him, might be insulting to his type. I think I'll deal that he puts my truck up on his lift and does the fluid film treatment for me. You can bet it will be done right. Good deal for me because doing that job on my back is a pain in the azz.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,384
Posts18,488,634
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.