Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Heym06

You are correct, hard facing is brittle.

There are wear-resistant alloys you can deposit by welding that aren't brittle though, like high manganese steels such as Hadfield's steel aka Mangalloy. That stuff's ideal for conditions involving impact, as it gets better and better at resisting wear the more of a bashing it gets.

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Great idea.

How difficult is Stainless to weld?
I have a small crack in the forward face under the in-flange of a magnaflo. And was thinking about picking up a small stainless rod to try and close it up..

cast?

old timers trick of welding cast (i learned) is use stainless rod ( high nickel) and weld. Then peen till cool.

done a few washed out housing (veloute ?) on centrifugal pump housings .

The old timer said to use low hydrogen.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I used some one time to weld up the drops on a grain drill.

The ones i used has a steel tube with powder inside.

That drill planted 400 acres and is still going.

If put on right it tends to last a long time.

We also used it to keep the edge of the colters on plows from wearing away.

Stoody tube borium?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 1minute
Good for snow cleats on horseshoes.

Not familiar with hard facing rod for that. Generally, a form of tungsten carbide is used. Two types ive used are Stoody tube borium has the sand sized particles with flux inside a mild steel tube and is gas welded. The other is called drill-tek. It has carbide chunks in a bar. Pieces are broken off and applied in the forge.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a farrier friend that brings me horse shoes. I put borium on them for horses they use on trail rides. He will bring me a 100 at a time. A little cash money once in a while.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a farrier friend that brings me horse shoes. I put borium on them for horses they use on trail rides. He will bring me a 100 at a time. A little cash money once in a while.

Those work really well too.

Most I've used are brazed on with brass.

The farrier will reset them multiple times on the horse too... They only need replacing with new shoes when the hail holes wear out in the shoe. After so long on a horse, the hole enlarges and the show won't hold on securely.

What would you charge me to hardface a set of shredder blades? I'd even bring em to you. I pay cash too... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Stoody is also available in wire form for a mig. Not sure how small or how small a roll, so it could be quite an investment. But with that process a job goes quickly.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

The farrier will reset them multiple times on the horse too... They only need replacing with new shoes when the hail holes wear out in the shoe. After so long on a horse, the hole enlarges and the show won't hold on securely.

What would you charge me to hardface a set of shredder blades? I'd even bring em to you. I pay cash too... smile

I can fix you up, how many blades? It would have to be later in the year. I’m working on a new deer lease, Wifey crap, taking grandkids out in boat, etc.
Doing it when it’s a bit cooler would be helpful too.

It’s not that much work if blades aren’t badly worn. If they are, will need to build back with 7018’s, then use the hardfacing rods. I’ll fix them if you buy the hardfacing rods.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I always shaped shoes first. Otherwise, it’s a really good way to chew up an anvil, even when being careful.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've welded cast both gas and arc with NI-Rod and Stainless in an (its all I've got ) situations with good results with pre and post heating and allowing slow cooling. With hard surfacing anything that is harder than the base metal and won't degrade the product itself. Stainless works, but is expensive for that use. Its best to use welding Supply guides to select a best rod to use, Lincoln has what they now call a Wearshild Rod in different alloy's. For most critical applications such as flanges and pump body's Spray-Arc powders, or I think its now called Plasma-Arc or some such now is best.

Phil

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I used up a couple #50 box of Wearshield 44 back when I was working on mining equipment. Neat stuff, welds a lot like a 7014 or Jet rod, makes big shiny beads that the slag pops off of if the heats right. Wish I had a box out in the shop now just because.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I can fix you up, how many blades? It would have to be later in the year. I’m working on a new deer lease, Wifey crap, taking grandkids out in boat, etc.
Doing it when it’s a bit cooler would be helpful too.

It’s not that much work if blades aren’t badly worn. If they are, will need to build back with 7018’s, then use the hardfacing rods. I’ll fix them if you buy the hardfacing rods.

I'll probably get some new blades to harden the cutting edges on.

Yeah, I'm busy with both shredders now. Be after hunting season for sure.

I'll get with you. And make it worth your while. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes sir they were found the barn from another barn done years ago.

They were good.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (3333vl, 44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.