Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Take mama’s purse in there lined with a gallon zip lock.

Get all dem wangs

No frowns from the buffet warden?

The one the keeps the Mac and cheese full but never puts out white meat chicken ?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by ribka
quartering away with an expandable head. not surprised. They work great...sometimes

This^^^. I seen many on tv programs hit in the shoulder run off with maybe 3-4 inches of penetration. Watching that crap made a believer of me. I expect a shot like that to have my muzzy come out the other side. I expect a broadside on a bull elk to be a pass through.

The more of these examples I read.....the more this debate sounds like a Burger vs. Barnes debate! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the G5 Montec or Muzzy 4 blades . Never have a problem . Might try a mechanical if I needed to make loger shots .

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Looks like he's got a fixed blade head on that arrow to me.. Doesn't look like it "bounced off" to me either. More like it deflected/skidded along the ribs and left a long gash. Back when I bow hunted I used mechanical heads with no issues. Was shooting a Browning Boss Mantis @ 30" and 70 lbs. and had pass throughs and quick kills with 125 gr. Rocket steelheads every time.

He uses T3 Mechanical from G5. 3 exposed blades that have a cam system that opens on contact.

I see. I haven't kept up on things archery since I quit bow hunting 20 years ago. Couldn't get a good look at his head on this screen but it looked big with a lot of exposed blade for a mechanical. Still didn't "bounce off" like he said but rather deflected/skidded along the ribs.

They all shoot mechanicals on those shows. Thats the in thing. The more complicated they can make things the better and more expensive. That makes more money for the companies financing the hunter.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I was accosted by a retard the last time I was at Golden Corral.

Dont let them fool you....Walmart isn't the only employer of retards.

You're lucky they dont sic a bunch of them on you. Pretty sure they lose money on you. wink

OTOH, Its disgusting to see the fat poor hispanics eating there. Many have very little money but act like rich kings and end up leaving more food on their table than they eat.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/09/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Have had good performance from Spitfire mechanicals on broadside and quartering shots.

On Florida deer?

Couldn’t say. I’ve yet to hunt deer in the Great State of Florida.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K1500
Zwickey Eskimo!

Iirc, ive seen the long points curle back if they hit a big bone. Dont remember if thats a long point head or not.

They are pretty thick (triple) at the tip, but some folks use a file to put a chisel point on them.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Very telling penetration comparison here. Even with 6 blades the Slick Trick wins.
I have seen videos of fixed blades getting great penetration with shoulder hits on bull elk and IIRC one on a bull moose for quick kills. Plus, you dont have to worry about a mechanical catching on a tall weed and getting jerked down from a perfect flight.

Ive had elk standing in low marshy spots in mountain draws where only six or eight inches of their back was showing over those tall, lavendar flowers that look like giant daisies. No way to get a mechanical through those or even broom weed or Lovegrass to a bedded buck with a typical mechanical.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/09/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been shooting s.s. snuffers for quite a few years now on mulies and Elk for several years now with great successes. Shot a turkey a few years ago with a rage broadhead and watched it bounce off of him, pure waste of money.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Looks like he's got a fixed blade head on that arrow to me.. Doesn't look like it "bounced off" to me either. More like it deflected/skidded along the ribs and left a long gash. Back when I bow hunted I used mechanical heads with no issues. Was shooting a Browning Boss Mantis @ 30" and 70 lbs. and had pass throughs and quick kills with 125 gr. Rocket steelheads every time.

He uses T3 Mechanical from G5. 3 exposed blades that have a cam system that opens on contact.

I see. I haven't kept up on things archery since I quit bow hunting 20 years ago. Couldn't get a good look at his head on this screen but it looked big with a lot of exposed blade for a mechanical. Still didn't "bounce off" like he said but rather deflected/skidded along the ribs.

They all shoot mechanicals on those shows. Thats the in thing. The more complicated they can make things the better and more expensive. That makes more money for the companies financing the hunter.
I don't think I've watched a hunting show in 20 years either. They tend to bore the piss outta me. I'll be using 100 grain Muzzy 3 blade crossbow heads on 20" bloodhunter arrows this year. They weigh 422 grains total and are leaving my crossbow at 355 fps.. I don't think they're going to be bouncing off deer.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
+1
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
Slick Tricks here. I absolutely love them.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Man, you ought to see how far some of those whitetail bucks drop at the shot, sometimes dropping a foot between the release and arrival.

If i hadnt watched some good shows or videos I would never have known if I should take a shoulder shot or frontal on a bull.
I also would have never tried to call a deer in with a snort wheeze or buck roar.

I also never would have seen to mechanicals jerked down from perfect shots on big bucks.

Not having been a genius and innately born already knowing everything required me to do some studying. As it is, I've seen and learned things I wouldnt have in 3 lifetimes, like what I just learned with the Slick Trick test I just saw above or this frontal hit on a bull below. Plus I got to see a beautiful spot in the mountains I would have otherwise never have seen. I would have never seen golden eagles taking down wolves or other things, like the amazing Gene Wensel drilling whitetails running through timber. From watching it and practice i took my first bull with an arrow through the lungs at about 40 yards as it was running through timber.

I enjoyed doing most things that would help me become a better hunter.

I wish you would tell me how you know all those things.

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Jag I've seen that vid before and it's one of the best kill shots ever caught on video.

However, it was a schit shot, very poor judgment, poorly executed. I don't think the kid was even trying for a frontal. In short, he got extremely lucky.

Great vid though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn’t announce to the world that I’m killing Muslims even if they deserve it.

[Linked Image from ]
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
My problem with hunting shows is because they're 90% hunting from stands or blinds, often over food plots or bait. I don't care for stand hunting, which is one of the reasons I quit bow hunting. I find bows to be a clumsy/awkward/unhandy PITA for still hunting/tracking.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by ribka
A heavy arrow, 550 grains or more and a two blade sharp coc, would have not glanced off of the buck. Ive shot a lot of bucks and does steep quartering away with recurves and long bows. Maybe pushing 180 fps if I was lucky.

That's pretty much exactly what I shoot.

X3. Using a single bevel 2 blade that I can resharpen and resharpen and so on. Running about 570 grains.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by ConradCA
I wouldn’t announce to the world that I’m killing Muslims even if they deserve it.

I said I hunt with muzzys, not for them. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Very telling penetration comparison here. Even with 6 blades the Slick Trick wins.
I have seen videos of fixed blades getting great penetration with shoulder hits on bull elk and IIRC one on a bull moose for quick kills. Plus, you dont have to worry about a mechanical catching on a tall weed and getting jerked down from a perfect flight.

Ive had elk standing in low marshy spots in mountain draws where only six or eight inches of their back was showing over those tall, lavendar flowers that look like giant daisies. No way to get a mechanical through those or even broom weed or Lovegrass to a bedded buck with a typical mechanical.

Penetration tests have their place. Problem is, animals aren't gel, or cardboard, or layered foam. There are bones involved. I probably spent 10 hours already this summer tuning fixed blade broadheads. Once I tune one, it gets set aside and resharpened.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Eastern tenderfeet are funny.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
A "Booner"....that was the problem. He used the wrong weapon. Someone should have told him that "Booners" are only killed with firearms.

Wrong, I have an elk, 2 whitetails a lion and a bear that were archery kills and are in the B&C book.

Last edited by callnum; 08/09/20.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (358WCF, 1minute, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 222Sako, 338Rules, 62 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,536
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.