Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's a good question, billhilly. In my truck I always have a real sharp Buck knife with a 4 inch blade. And I keep a crowbar in the bed. Old beat up rusty crowbar, nobody bothers to steal it.
If I came across a dog, or several dogs attacking someone, I would put the knife in my pocket and I would attack the dogs with the crowbar. I know these attack dogs are bad asses but I don't think they could take but one whack across the spine, or the head, I think the spine would get fractured real quick.
If I had to fight the dog with just the knife, I would start shoving it in to his chest or abdomen, two or three strokes like that would take the fight out of him.
If you get into a brawl with several dogs, take it for granted you are going to the hospital. If the dog manages to cut your femoral artery, or the popliteal artery [behind the knee] you are going to the morgue.

In a case like that teenage girl in Georgia I would have to attack those dogs and we would just have to see what happens. It was a life and death matter for that girl and in about one more minute of that attack, she would have been dead.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was thinking the same thing about the spine. A hand ax or crowbar ought to get through a spine pretty quick then you’re just left fighting a two legged dog. Need to fish through the garage and throw an ax in the truck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kick or force the dog clear of the child and shoot it with your handgun, where ever the incident might be taking place. Option 2 is your knife, only if the dog won't let go of the kid for you to get a clear shot. Option 3 is whatever blunt instrument might also be handy. I got out of the vehicle with a handgun on a busy city street to shoot a run-over dog that was in agonizing pain. I'd do it again tomorrow, and the police could write me a ticket if they had to.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
OK, HappyCamper, you have experience in this field. By the way, what is your experience?

Let's take the case in Georgia, out on the street in the suburbs, as the little boy posted above, was inside the house.
If I drove up and saw two pit bulls killing this girl, how should I attack, at my disposal I have a sharp Buck knife, and a crowbar.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What you do Simon is let the MAN inside you loose and you go berserk with lethal intent. That's what a MAN would do. If you have to ask if one lives inside you well...

The way life should be.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
There is no doubt, bluefish, that I would attack the dogs. If HappyCamper has some advice based on experience I would be glad to hear it.
As I said, otherwise, I am going to hit that dog right across the back with a crowbar as hard as I can, I bet one stroke would fracture the spine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by billhilly
Reading this thread got me thinking. Say you’re driving down the road and come across a pitbull attacking some kid and you figure using your pistol wouldn’t be prudent as the dog’s on top of the kid, there’s lots of people around, or it just wouldn’t be safe, what do you kill it with? I’d probably take my knife to it under the circumstances but that wouldn’t be my first choice if given time to think about it. Maybe a framing hammer or a hatchet would be handy to keep in the truck. Any ideas?

a blade between the ribs would work quick, I once cut a pit down to the neck bone that attacked my chow with a machete, he ran off a few days later i seen him all happy recovering at his home.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Reading this thread got me thinking. Say you’re driving down the road and come across a pitbull attacking some kid and you figure using your pistol wouldn’t be prudent as the dog’s on top of the kid, there’s lots of people around, or it just wouldn’t be safe, what do you kill it with? I’d probably take my knife to it under the circumstances but that wouldn’t be my first choice if given time to think about it. Maybe a framing hammer or a hatchet would be handy to keep in the truck. Any ideas?

We used to talk about this subject many times.
I studied all that I could find by the experts.
I didn't really know what I was talking about until I was attacked by a Chow, taken crushing bites by Rottweilers, an Alligator and various exotics too.

The thing that was clear should have a thread of its own.
1. These beasts can and do crush flesh, muscle tissue, tendon and bone.
2. They have powerful necks and utilize their entire body 200% and shake large adult males over twice their body weight.....just like a rag doll
3. A man's man WILL risk his own life to intervene and possibly save the child's life. From your good question, you surely would.
4..Just like Combat with humans, we need training, preplanning, continued education and practice to gain an advantage over these killing machines.
The weapon is important, but the training is far more important. I'm qualified to address both.
There's no easy answer, however I may teach this on this campfire forum if you get your friends together and there's enough interest.
PM me if you'd like that to happen.

Best regards,

Happy camper
my pit attacked me, he got the short end of the stick, I had a crushed finger and a lot of stitches in my hand but he died.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

We used to talk about this subject many times.
I studied all that I could find by the experts.
I didn't really know what I was talking about until I was attacked by a Chow, taken crushing bites by Rottweilers, an Alligator and various exotics too.

The thing that was clear should have a thread of its own.
1. These beasts can and do crush flesh, muscle tissue, tendon and bone.
2. They have powerful necks and utilize their entire body 200% and shake large adult males over twice their body weight.....just like a rag doll
3. A man's man WILL risk his own life to intervene and possibly save the child's life. From your good question, you surely would.
4..Just like Combat with humans, we need training, preplanning, continued education and practice to gain an advantage over these killing machines.
The weapon is important, but the training is far more important. I'm qualified to address both.
There's no easy answer, however I may teach this on this campfire forum if you get your friends together and there's enough interest.
PM me if you'd like that to happen.

Best regards,

Happy camper

always knew what i'd do if a dog attacked me and i was bare handed.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was thinking the same thing about the spine. A hand ax or crowbar ought to get through a spine pretty quick then you’re just left fighting a two legged dog. Need to fish through the garage and throw an ax in the truck.

I just got back and saw the posts.

The reason I'm thinking another thread is it will take a little time to write and only on break wolfing down my dinner right now. Can't do that good question justice.
More will see and benefit from a new thread too. Maybe save a life.

Short answer IMHO, is to put yourself in the shoes of the kid/guy under a couple of pitt bulls, etc.

I would want my rescuer to use what he had as soon as possible and effectively remove all of these knives ripping into me as soon as possible.
As they say, what's the best gun to have on you? The one that you have. So, have weapon that offers reach. With dogs, they are quicker, and tougher than us under stress....pound for pound of the type we are talking about. When you say crow bar, that may fare better than a short blade. I like the idea of going for vitals, but one bite to your hand could make it useless. The biting pressure can break the small joints and hand bones making that side worthless.

Would I want my rescuer using an axe?
NOT unless he uses it regularly and can place accurate swings on moving dynamic targets without an overswing into me or his own leg. Under that stress, fine motor coordination is mostly gone and exaggerated motion occurs. However it DOES offer reach AND deadly power that can best sever the spine.

Briefly, kicking might get the dogs off, but not reliably. I don't count on it.
IF a firearm is to be used, you MUST get into a close to the ground angle up away from the victim.
Aim HIGH. Most are likely to be in an aukward position firing for the first time prone or next to and canting sharply upwards. Likely to pull shot low as well under more stress than ever experienced.

Lastly,

What do I have available for rescue equipment against the jive barking pit bulls with studded collars?
A. Sword that doubles as my multi-pupose farm tool.
Its used for quick pruning where the better tools aren't handy. Stays in the car most if the time. I've trained lots of guys in sword use. I don't recommend it though unless you use it a lot as it is easy to over swing. Shape is unusual. Mine gives little less than a yard reach. This one in the pic at that site is a more manageable size. Mine was originally designed for decapitating young bulls with one swing. I use it for reaching limbs and thorny bushes.
https://www.thekhukurihouse.com/18inch-panawal-no-mercy

2. Two of the longest screwdrivers that I can find. Thin square stock with 18"+- on the textured handle.
The other is a little longer and round stock.

3. Machetes:. I don't remember the length. One a filipino bolo, the other a long standard blade.
They get a lot of use. This is what I would recommend.

Use it lots and get a long stick of the same weight and balance for practice. Sticks bruise in practice. Blades are unforgiving. Training recommended. It has roughly the same reach as an axe. Benefit is the fudge factor. You don't have to make contact with a quick dynamic target with a hands breadth of blade. It's quicker, can be used:
-hacking
-slashing
-stabbing

Two long light ones are better than one. Why?
IF one hand is grabbed or destroyed, you've got the other.
Lastly, if you receive proper training, you will become a walking brush hog. You could literally defend a child from a crowd of gang bangers and their damn pit bulls.

Best regards,

Happy Camper

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 08/06/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

stxhunter,

]Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm always trying to learn from the firsthand knowledge of owners, attack victims, trainers, so as to help others.

You mentioned,
"a blade between the ribs would work quick, I once cut a pit down to the neck bone that attacked my chow with a machete, he ran off a few days later i seen him all happy recovering at his home."

Sounds like you saved your dogs life since the strike accomplished the goal. Machetes are easy to reshape.
A piercing tip can be ground so you can thrust and penetrate ribs easier.

You said,
"always knew what i'd do if a dog attacked me and i was bare handed."

You have the rare benefit of working with your Chow and coming out better than me. My hand had become pretty much useless when my friend' s chow focused on it. There was internal damage to muscle tissue, tendon, cartilage.

"my pit attacked me, he got the short end of the stick, I had a crushed finger and a lot of stitches in my hand but he died."

It sounds like your pitt bull got your finger bad.

That's what I've seen intervening in dog fights and training. They are quick and I like reach, distance and a sharp edge that can double if necessary to use the flat or spine if your concerned about hitting your own dog. Glad you survived and no doubt better for the experience.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 08/06/20.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
UPDATE

It is worse than they thought.

WARNING

If you read this it may make you sick to your stomach:

WARNING

She may never be able to speak again. She may have to have the "trach" for the rest of her life. This is a little plastic plug that you sometimes see on throat cancer patients. It is about the size of a silver dollar, it is placed at the bottom of the neck, and has a little hole in it, and the patient breathes through it, can't breathe through the nose or mouth.

https://www.classiccitynews.com/pos...-mauled-by-pit-bulls-worse-than-expected

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What the update on the dog owner?

She faced a firing squad yet?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I once cut a pit down to the neck bone that attacked my chow with a machete...

I think of myself as a tough customer, but I have to admit that I'd run away as fast as I can from a Pit Bull wielding a Machete...

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Boogaloo

I think of myself as a tough customer, but I have to admit that I'd run away as fast as I can from a Pit Bull wielding a Machete...

I would rather face a charging brown bear...
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

wink

how much does a brown bear charge?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hubert
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

wink

how much does a brown bear charge?

At least an arm and a leg.😊😉

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (01Foreman400, achadwick, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 14 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,067
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.