Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good grief. Some are acting like the only way to safely carry is to keep it in a pistol safe inside a backpack to keep those nefarious creepers from snatching it. I’m going to keep using my Summer Special and if my shirt rides up while I’m reaching for a box of crackers on the bottom shelf at the grocery store, I guess I’ll just have to endure the horror.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Open carry = first one shot. It is legal here.

Open carry can also = First one to shoot.

Bury it deep, hide it good, then dig like hell to retrieve it when you need it quickly.

You need to train/ practice a little. Open carry is a personal choice but holds no advantage. I have yet to see anyone open carrying in a level 2 or better retention holster which is a pretty good indicator of the naive. It will be about 107* F here today and when I go out I will wear my G19 AIWB w/ shorts and an untucked polo shirt. No one will have a clue. I dryfire practice several times/ week w/ emphasis on weapon presentation from concealed. Using a shot timer I can repeatedly draw and fire from retention in one second and manage sub 2.5 second Bill Drills.

for many their gun is like a comfort animal. Others take self defense shooting seriously and work at gaining and maintaining proficiency. These threads frequently expose the fact that many gun owners are not serious shooters. If you think you are good enough you are wrong.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No open carry here, but loaded a glovebox or console is okay.

Legal to carry while hunting or fishing, concealed or open carry is not specified in the statute.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JB in SC
No open carry here, but loaded a glovebox or console is okay.

Legal to carry while hunting or fishing, concealed or open carry is not specified in the statute.

Florida, too. Loaded in glovebox is okay, even without a concealed carry license. Also, open carry is legal without a license while fishing, hunting, camping, hiking in the woods, etc.., and on your way to and from these activities. Which begs the question, how does a cop know that you're not on your way to or from a camping location, for example, and just stopping to get gas, or to grab something at the store?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Open carry says, "Lookit me, ain't I badass?"

What it means is "Shoot this pathetic idiot first."

That is such a tired, bullschit statement. Many folks spout it off whenever open carry is brought up, but do you have any examples of this actually happening?

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Just who is going to mess with a handgun carrying person of any kind?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Right to Bear Arms means the Right to BEAR ARMS.

The concealed-carry-only snobs (and they are very snobbish and elitist) often cry "you'll be the first one shot!!!", and "somebody will just steal your gun!!!", which really grates my nerves. Now, before any of you try to show examples, there ARE instances of people having their guns stolen from them (nobody "shot first" yet, that I am aware of). On another message board, someone posted a list of news stories of people who were supposedly open carrying and had their guns stolen. It was several, I don't remember how many it was. Still, not exactly an overwhelming number. I read them all. A few were cops, struggling with a suspect.. not exactly relevant. About half were concealed carriers who let their guns show in some way, and weren't paying attention to the world around them and generally doing stupid schitt, and the rest were actual open carriers... who weren't paying attention to the world around them and generally doing stupid schitt. THIS is the problem. It goes way beyond "situational awareness". So many people are utterly oblivious to what should be very obvious dangers around them. Dangerous places, and dangerous people.

I am all for open carry. But I see people with a pistol in a concealed type holster.. open top, no retention strap of any kind. And invariably, they will wear it on their right side BEHIND THEIR BACK, at about the 4:00 position. AAAAGH! Any jackass can walk right up and yoink the gun away from you, no problem. Drives me crazy.

Last edited by Stophel; 08/11/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Open Carry and Concealed Carry both legal in TX with a permit

The ONLY time I “open carry” is when I’m working or hunting here at the Ranch. Otherwise I’m 100 % Concealed Carry in public.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

^^^^^^^^^^ This Rio7

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Just who is going to mess with a handgun carrying person of any kind?

Dumb question of the week. Ask any uniformed cop. There are too many folks out there lacking values, morals, fear or the least trace of any humanity or restraint. Ask that cop how seriously he takes weapon retention and situational awareness. If you think your gun is a talisman that bad people fear you need to pay more attention.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

The ONLY time I “open carry” is when I’m working or hunting here at the Ranch. Otherwise I’m 100 % Concealed Carry in public.

You need a permit to open carry?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I carry concealed in public though either is legal. There may be the occasional printing but the vast majority do not notice what is around them and I haven't knowingly been made in 35 years. I will continue to carry concealed when in public for two reasons:

1) I don't own a decent security holster for my current main carry guns and don't plan on buying any at this time.

2) If someone open carrying has a preventative affect thereby providing a measure of security to others nearby, why should that someone do so? Why should they provide a measure of security to others when those others will not only not provide for their own protection but will not reciprocate to others? I'll help those who suffer misfortune but when they willfully chose otherwise for themselves and others, then I have less compunction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stophel
The Right to Bear Arms means the Right to BEAR ARMS.

The concealed-carry-only snobs (and they are very snobbish and elitist) often cry "you'll be the first one shot!!!", and "somebody will just steal your gun!!!", which really grates my nerves. Now, before any of you try to show examples, there ARE instances of people having their guns stolen from them (nobody "shot first" yet, that I am aware of). On another message board, someone posted a list of news stories of people who were supposedly open carrying and had their guns stolen. It was several, I don't remember how many it was. Still, not exactly an overwhelming number. I read them all. A few were cops, struggling with a suspect.. not exactly relevant. About half were concealed carriers who let their guns show in some way, and weren't paying attention to the world around them and generally doing stupid schitt, and the rest were actual open carriers... who weren't paying attention to the world around them and generally doing stupid schitt. THIS is the problem. It goes way beyond "situational awareness". So many people are utterly oblivious to what should be very obvious dangers around them. Dangerous places, and dangerous people.

I am all for open carry. But I see people with a pistol in a concealed type holster.. open top, no retention strap of any kind. And invariably, they will wear it on their right side BEHIND THEIR BACK, at about the 4:00 position. AAAAGH! Any jackass can walk right up and yoink the gun away from you, no problem. Drives me crazy.

Thank you.
Practicing your right does not make you a leper.
Obviously a bit of discretion is advised.
If you are open and unrestrained, don't be unaware of your surroundings and put yourself in a position like that one officer who had his piece pulled by a rioter...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Open carry, or concealed carry.
They are both detailed in my Bible clearly.
God has given His people the rights that we have to have the means to defend against harm of self, family and community.

I could name a handful of police/sheriff that are honorable. They've gone against the corrupt system to stand for protecting people's rights. I support and applaud their stands. It nearly cost one friend his life. His co-workers conspired to get rid of him.... permanently.
He ended up with serious injuries. He nearly died.
He and my fellow laborers in liberty believe the same. NO permission needed from the gt employees. They should see themselves as public servants, not the masters to usurp their will over those of Christ.

Then to answer the question of whether the uniformed public servants will support us against supreme tyranny? The following was proven to be a sad realization. It also demonstrates a wonderful miracle on this very subject.
I taught combat, hand to hand and small weapons.
My students need not fear the violent common thieves or rapists. They had more risk from the ungodly laws that tie their hands from legally carrying a weapon for defense. Theyd likely be arrested and thrown into cages.

I prayed for the ability to carry any weapon, for my trained students and fellow countrymen of this wicked state over run with evil in high places.
God answered my prayers to grant our state the free exercise of the rights that He gave us to have the means to defend ourselves with whatever weapon of our choosing. .... Including NO PERMISSION SLIPS NECESSARY from the servants.

First:
Prayer according to James 5:16-18

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.". https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/James-Chapter-5/
Second:
The legislation was introduced by a rare honorable congressman that God raised up.
Third:
The battle.... spiritual battle by Satan's demons spilled over into his physical servants.
The police, sheriffs and deputies all over the state fought it and lobbied AGAINST US with all their might and money that they stole from us!
This showed us what kind of "men" they were.

Guess what?
Conclusion:
The LORD still gave us the victory!!!
We the people can carry any weapon we choose without them having legal means to throw us in a cage! Praise the Lord from the top of my lungs on the spiritual battlefield against tyranny!!!

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 08/11/20.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Open carry, or concealed carry.
They are both detailed in my Bible clearly.
God has given His people the rights that we have to have the means to defend against harm of self, family and community.

I could name a handful of police/sheriff that are honorable. They've gone against the corrupt system to stand for protecting people's rights. I support and applaud their stands. It nearly cost one friend his life. His co-workers conspired to get rid of him.... permanently.
He ended up with serious injuries. He nearly died.
He and my fellow laborers in liberty believe the same. NO permission needed from the gt employees. They should see themselves as public servants, not the masters to usurp their will over those of Christ.

Then to answer the question of whether the uniformed public servants will support us against supreme tyranny? The following was proven to be a sad realization. It also demonstrates a wonderful miracle on this very subject.
I taught combat, hand to hand and small weapons.
My students need not fear the violent common thieves or rapists. They had more risk from the ungodly laws that tie their hands from legally carrying a weapon for defense. Theyd likely be arrested and thrown into cages.

I prayed for the ability to carry any weapon, for my trained students and fellow countrymen of this wicked state over run with evil in high places.
God answered my prayers to grant our state the free exercise of the rights that He gave us to have the means to defend ourselves with whatever weapon of our choosing. .... Including NO PERMISSION SLIPS NECESSARY from the servants.

First:
Prayer according to James 5:16-18

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.". https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/James-Chapter-5/
Second:
The legislation was introduced by a rare honorable congressman that God raised up.
Third:
The battle.... spiritual battle by Satan's demons spilled over into his physical servants.
The police, sheriffs and deputies all over the state fought it and lobbied AGAINST US with all their might and money that they stole from us!
This showed us what kind of "men" they were.

Guess what?
Conclusion:
The LORD still gave us the victory!!!
We the people can carry any weapon we choose without them having legal means to throw us in a cage! Praise the Lord from the top of my lungs on the spiritual battlefield against tyranny!!!

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dude got diarrhea of the fingers

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
It’s legal here. The INTENT of “open carry” here was to prevent prosecution of someone that is attempting to carry concealed and their weapon is inadvertently exposed as it might be when reaching for something on the top shelf at a store.

Last edited by navlav8r; 08/11/20.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

You need a permit to open carry?

Yep. In TX it’s called a License To Carry. Covers both. Up until 3 years ago, only Concealed Carry was legal. With a Concealed Carry License.
Like most states, our laws aren’t perfect here. We don’t have Constitutional Carry. But because of our extensive background check to get the License, we do have Reciprocal Agreements with 40 other States.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Legal here, i dont unless it's a single action revolver.
Then I try to cover it, if possible.
Not ashamed of my guns or hunting, but its not something I broadcast.

The talk is about open carry making you a target, and that alludes to shot.
What about gun grab?
Everybody here is a 100% on the ball, ready to fight, badass sumbitch, so it
would never happen. Right?

Dumbass around here is often seen with a LCR in a holster at about 5 o'clock.
I stood behind him in line before covid. 2 feet away.
And laughed.
He thought he was bad, had a gun and everything.

1-2 seconds he could have been slammed in the back of the neck and lost that gun.
By the time he realized what was happening, it would have been over.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by widrahthaar

I see maybe a half a dozen people a year carrying locally and they always have cheap guns and [bleep] holsters.

Pretty much same here. I carry concealed by I know I " print" pretty bad on occasion...but as someone said, nobody notices, they are all too wrapped up in themselves..

Had one occasion when a cop came up and talked to me, I had to be "printing" pretty bad cause I was in a T-shirt, but I was in K9 gear and the gun was never mentioned, if indeed it was even noticed...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (450yukon, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 14 invisible), 1,705 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,379
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.