Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
If it was Dan, I really hate to hear it. He always treated me fairly and was a good person to me.
Dave

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It was Dan Schilling.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see they have officially named Dan as the victim... which I had found out earlier this afternoon, too. Bummer...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - Alaska State Troopers say around 10:07 p.m. Wednesday they were informed of a deadly bear mauling in the Hope area of the Chugach National Forest. On Monday, Troopers identified the victim of the bear attack as 46-year-old Daniel Schilling of Hope.

AST says Schilling was clearing a trail about 1 mile behind his property which is located off mile 8 of the Hope Highway. After some time, Schilling’s wife grew concerned when he didn’t return home and their dog, which had been with him, returned home alone.

“The body was located by family and friends in the area he had been working, deceased with wounds consistent with a bear attack,” troopers wrote in an online dispatch.

Cyndi Wardlow with Alaska Department of Fish and Game said the department is collecting evidence about the mauling. Wardlow says they believe the bear was a brown bear and that if they find the bear, they will put it down.

Fish and Game and the United States Forest Service responded to the scene and a recovery was made just after 1 a.m.

A friend of the victim and a member of the search party told Channel 2 off-camera that the man was an avid, experienced hunter who normally carried a firearm, but it is not clear if he was armed at the time of the attack.

Jack Thomas, another community member in Hope/Sunrise, said bear encounters are always a risk in the area. “Just realize that that same fishing hole you’ve been going to for 20 years... there might be a bear there that sneaks up on you,” Thomas said.

Copyright 2020 KTUU. All rights reserved.

Link above has been updated.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got quite a bit more information from individuals on the scene and will only say it was probably not a preventable attack and Dan was likely taken totally by surprise.

He was a good guy...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
City folks out trying to earn a Darwin award.

Last edited by MS9x56; 08/14/20.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MS9x56

Stupid and inappropriate comment.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MS9x56

53 posts and already on ignore

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MS9x56's post shows a reply to "ironbender". Perhaps he was only partway through the thread and hit "reply" to the below post. If so, then maybe some slack is appropriate. If not, then I agree, stupid and inappropriate. I won't make that assumptive jump just yet.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by las
If he was clearing trail, he was making noise, so WTF? Bet the dog brought it to him. Or he was coming back out the cleared trail in the evening.

Or - chit happens.

Hiked Falls Creek and Ptarmigan Lake trails yesterday and today. Lot's of bear crap. And other hikers.

Not one had spray or a firearm. We had both - wife the spray, I was packing the '94. Coming back down Falls last night after the sun was behind the mountains, and other hikers long gone, I was hot chambered! smile

We’ve ridden up the res and seen runners in shorts, sneakers, and the omnipresent ear buds.
That’s it. Nothing else.

SMH.

As to Mr. Schilling, may he R.I.P. Prayers and well-wishes to his family.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
IF that had been quoted and then replied to, I agree.

The way it was posted, was as above. So many can’t drive the info superhighway.

I await evidence to the contrary.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IF that had been quoted and then replied to, I agree.

The way it was posted, was as above. So many can’t drive the info superhighway.

I await evidence to the contrary.

I agree on all points. I'm just giving him an opportunity to save face.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There have been two serious maulings in the lower-48 involving Grizzlies. One was outside the West entrance to
Glacier NP, involving a US Forest Svc LawEnf officer on a mtn bike. The other was in the Wind River Range
NE of Yellowstone.

Guide and hunter returned to bull elk claimed by sow grizzly the night before. A Glock pistol (unk caliber)
was carried by them, but thrown short by hunter to guiode.
Bears are fast and unpredictable. I carry a 450 Alaskan on a pre-war Model 71.
Either a heavy revolver or auto is a good idea, with spray.

Bears of all types can be dangerous if surprised or threatened over claimed fish or game.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
UPDATE:

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - After killing four bears in relation to a fatal bear mauling in Hope, Fish and Game says the samples from one of the bears match DNA collected at the scene of the attack.

The DNA comes from a female black bear, but investigators said DNA from a brown bear was also found at the scene. It is unlikely that both bears were present at the time of the attack, Fish and Game said, so they will continue to collect samples from brown bears.

The bear mauling in Hope happened at the end of July and resulted in the death of 46-year-old Hope resident Daniel Schilling.

Alaska State Troopers said Schilling was clearing a trail a mile from his property, but when his dog returned home without him, family was concerned.

An empty bear spray canister was found at the site of the mauling with the safety removed. Fish and Game said there was no evidence of cubs or a food cache in the area and it is unclear whether the attack was defensive or predatory.

The bear mauling is unusual because DNA from two different bear species was found at the scene. Fish and Game believes a brown bear was responsible for Schilling’s death but that a black bear encountered the body after he had been attacked.

In the search to find the bear, Fish and Game has killed three female black bears and one female brown bear near the location of the mauling. None of the bears were with cubs.

Since the location of the attack is “remote with challenging terrain and limited access,” Fish and Game said the department does not have further plans to conduct field operations in the area. The department will continue to collect DNA samples for brown bears that are harvested or killed to match against DNA collected at the site.

Copyright 2020 KTUU. All rights reserved.

https://www.ktuu.com/2020/08/18/1-o...ling-in-hope-matches-dna-from-the-scene/

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First mention of spray... does not look like it worked and may be why they have not mentioned it previously.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
There have been two serious maulings in the lower-48 involving Grizzlies. One was outside the West entrance to
Glacier NP, involving a US Forest Svc LawEnf officer on a mtn bike. The other was in the Wind River Range
NE of Yellowstone.

Guide and hunter returned to bull elk claimed by sow grizzly the night before. A Glock pistol (unk caliber)
was carried by them, but thrown short by hunter to guiode.
Bears are fast and unpredictable. I carry a 450 Alaskan on a pre-war Model 71.
Either a heavy revolver or auto is a good idea, with spray.

Bears of all types can be dangerous if surprised or threatened over claimed fish or game.

Just two? What time frame?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Wyoming fatality was last year. Montana fatal mauling -2018. I monitor these incidents and was in Glacier -talked to the
Park Director. In Calgary, BC the North American PhD. who is on the Inter-Agency Bear Committee for the
InterMtn area is Dr. Stephen Herrero. He wrote the book - Bear Attacks-Their Causes and Avoidance.

Books are fine but he also has spent a lot of time in the bush.

I prefer a heavy revolver because the action forces the shooter to
take careful aim-no guarantee of repeat shots. IF a handgun must be carried. Rifle is much better.

A good lever action Winchester or Marlin in 45-70, 348, or 450 AK
is the way to travel IMHO. They are much faster to get into action
than a bolt rifle-and they can deliver faster repeat shots.
A grizzly is a very fast animal-they can catch a quarter horse inside of 100 yards.
Best to carry something heavy and fast.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
This spot reserved for Sd.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Wyoming fatality was last year. Montana fatal mauling -2018. I monitor these incidents and was in Glacier -talked to the
Park Director. In Calgary, BC the North American PhD. who is on the Inter-Agency Bear Committee for the
InterMtn area is Dr. Stephen Herrero. He wrote the book - Bear Attacks-Their Causes and Avoidance.

take careful aim-no guarantee of repeat shots. IF a handgun must be carried. Rifle is much better.

A grizzly is a very fast animal-they can catch a quarter horse inside of 100 yards.

Get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If Herrero ever had a clue he was playing a board game and was just past a toddler!

The antipathy I feel for that POS is without measure. He had an agenda and ran with it as only a clueless POS can.

You are dead wrong on your numbers, incidents, chronology, and every other aspect of bears in the intermountain West.

But, please do regale us with your cluelessness by adding makes and models usually found leaning against a tree at attack sites...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This spot reserved for Sd.

Bastid!

Schitstirrer!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Several passes have been made at pretending SH had done anything other than plagiarize and pretend for other clueless, agenda-driven, POS "biologists" and frankly he can GFH!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

363 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 31 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,064
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.