-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've shot a few mule deer in the desert and river bottoms, but the vast majority of times my mule deer have come from mountains so I prefer a light(ish) rifle with capability out to 500 yards or so. I've killed bigger bucks with my Kimber 84M in .223, and will again at some point but I think the perfect rifle for them is a Rem 700 or Kimber 84M, in a mountain rifle configuration. As far as a caliber goes, 6.5mm with a higher B/C bullet seems legit, not necessarily for the range capability (as rangefinders and turrets can deal with that), but to have less wind issues.

I used to hunt a lot off horseback and still do some and for that I like something that goes easier into a scabbard, without a bulky scope and long barrel. I am still figuring out what is "best" there, but have killed them on horseback hunts with a few different Savage 99s, a Krag-Jorgensen, Win 94 and some others...A guy could just pack a hard case with a bigger rifle on a pack saddle though I guess.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've spent my whole life looking for the perfect mule deer rifle. My conclusion is that it is the rifle I have in my hand while mule deer hunting. The reason for me to chase the perfect rifle in the off-season is something to occupy time while not hunting. After 35 years of hunting, I think I've settled on three things I like to hunt: quail out West, mule deer and plains game in Africa. Oddly all three of my choices are most often pursued in similar, often arid or semi-arid landscapes, which drives rifle choice maybe more than the game being pursued.

With all that said, I've had several different "perfect" mule deer rifles: a .270 ULA 24" number 2 that once shot 10 rounds of different loads and bullets into under 1" at 100, Kimber Montanas in cartridges from .270 through .300, Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor with 22" number 2, a .270 FN Mauser with a 24" number 2 in a Bansner and a few others I can't remember.

Most have come and gone. I exclusively used the ULA for several years but finally sold it because I could never get used to the stock design (same with the Barrett). Over recent years, I have trended toward slightly heavier rifles for mule deer because I shoot them better in the field. Right now my favorite is my FN .270, which balances well and weighs around 8.5 pounds with sling and ammo and ready to go. I also have custom wood stocked FNs in .30-06 and .300 H&H, which I haven't hunted but should do the job. Both have great finishes that should stay stable in most weather.

Right now, I'm building my latest iteration of a mule deer (plains game) rifle. It will be slightly heavier and chambered in .280 AI with a Remington action, Bartlein 2B (probably should've gone 3 but too late now), Magpul stock, Harris bipod and pic rail. I haven't decided on scope but it will be something mid-weight (20 ounces) and modern with an emphasis on tracking and reticle. I specifically am building this one to be steady off of sticks or from other field positions with the bipod deployed.

I

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
On another note, my biggest bodied mule deer, which was maybe the biggest I've ever seen, weighed 285 pounds gutted, skinned and with the head removed. I suspect it was approaching on 400 on the hoof. That is good-sized cow-elk range in regards to size and drives me to cartridges I otherwise would use for cow elk and with decent bullets.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
On another note, my biggest bodied mule deer, which was maybe the biggest I've ever seen, weighed 285 pounds gutted, skinned and with the head removed. I suspect it was approaching on 400 on the hoof. That is good-sized cow-elk range in regards to size and drives me to cartridges I otherwise would use for cow elk and with decent bullets.

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^ Good response, it’s difficult to be “ overgunned”......pretty easy to be “undergunned”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 240 Weatherby is the perfect mule deer cartridge. A 6-mm Rem is ideal for pronghorn, and the 243 is super for black tail. One simply can't be crossing over multi species with a given round. Cookie, my wife, comprehends this quite well.

Unfortunately, we don't have any whitetail about. Should they eventually sift in, I'm sure I can find an adequate cartridge somewhere.

1Minute
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've used both small and large cartridges and have moved toward a belief in moderate cartridges for a given species. I had a couple of eye-opening experiences with bullets not penetrating deeply enough, though one instance was probably me taking a shot that in hindsight may have been iffy on game whose anatomy I didn't understand (oryx shot mid-body aiming for the offside shoulder on a quartering shot with entrance on left side) and the other was a conventional bullet (117 Hornady) only partially penetrating the chest in a light for species caliber (cow elk and .25-06).

For trophy mule deer, I have confidence in something between 6.5 Creedmoor and .300 Weatherby with bullets that will penetrate well with the .270 Win (or .280) being about perfect for me. For non-trophy hunting, I have no issue with smaller rounds and have in fact had great luck with Nosler 64-grain BSBs in .22 centerfires on our skinny local whitetails, though I've only hunted them to provide my wife with the "organic" meat she asks that I provide.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't believe there's a perfect anything. There's what some people like and other's don't! I've killed a good number of mule deer with my 25-06 and 117gr bullet's. Take a 117gr over the 100gr every time, I tried the 100gr and to destructive for me. But the deer I did shoot with the 100gr bullet fell down right there. With the 117gr bullet they tended to walk off a few yards and lay down dead. Anyone believing the 30-06 wouldn't work needs to do some home work. That said I have never shot at the first deer with a 30-06, mine is my elk rifle! But I have killed a boat load of deer with a 308 and everyone with a 165gr bullet. I suspect a 150 and 180 gr bullet would do the same job! Longest shot at game I ever made was 330 yds measured with my 6.5x06. Didn't need to take that shot, just did it to say I did it! I've seldom had to shoot a deer much over 200yds! Best cartridge for deer of any kind is one you like!

The rifle! I think light weight get's really over rated! Ever seen a 6# competitive rifle? Heavy rifles are easier to shoot well! From about 7# to 8/8.5 # should be fine. If that's to heavy, you don't need a lighter rifle, you need to work out more! Barrel length is a consideration maybe. My 25-06, 6.5x06 and 30-06 all have 24" barrels. Why? On longer cartridges I just like longer barrels. My 308, 6.5x55 and 243's all have 22" barrels, same reason why, weight has nothing to do with it. My 22" barrel rifles are all 308 length action except the 6.5x55 and actually I think they come up quicker than the longer barrels. Truth be know, I'm not really so sure there's an advantage to that!

Scope. I'm not big on high power scopes but if you believe a higher power and bigger lens is better for you, go for it. I have a number of 3-9x scope's and the highest power I ever use is 6x and then only for developing loads. At 9x I tend to see my heart beat to much! I do have a 4.5-14x on a 243 varmint rifle and it's never been shot at over 8x, go figure! I think for ranges I'm liable to shoot my 2-7x scope's are probably the best but my 30-06 has a fixed 2 3/4x and it's my favorite hunting scope. It spent about 20yrs on a 308 my son now has before getting on my 30-06! That 308 was a Rem 660 with a 20" barrel and my son put a 3-9x50x scope on it. Looks like a scope wearing a rifle!

If I had to choose my favorite rifle for mule deer hunting, it would probably depend on what day of the week it was!

Last edited by DonFischer; 08/22/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Post deleted

Last edited by JGRaider; 08/22/20.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It used to be my 270 with 140s pushing 3050.
Now it’s my T3x SL 6.5 CM with 130s Pushing 2900 as mentioned in the antelope thread.
The 270 is a back up now

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JGRaider
DFischer. agree with some of what you say, but some of what you say is just ridiculous.

1. " Best cartridge for deer of any kind is one you like!" What if I'm in love with a 17HMR or 30-378 Bee? Does
that make them the best deer cartridge?

2. "The rifle! I think light weight get's really over rated! Ever seen a 6# competitive rifle? Heavy rifles are easier to shoot well! From about 7# to 8/8.5 # should be fine. If that's to heavy, you don't need a lighter rifle, you need to work out more! If you're going to plant your butt in a deer stand and sit there for hours you may be right, but do you honestly think any serious mountain hunter like Greg W, Inman, etc would lug a freaking 12lb rifle around chasing coues deer, elk, sheep, etc?

"Ridiculous" seems to be in the eye of the beholder. If you have great success with a 17 HMR or a 30-378 on deer, are you not allowed to "like" them because other people wouldn't?

I've lugged plenty of 7 to 8.5 pound rifles up a few thousand vertical feet (and one heavier than that). DFischer said nothing about a 12 pound rifle. That was you. And there are plenty of guys who DO lug 12lb+ rifles up mountains. They will sit and glass and shoot long shots with their heavy rifles. That's their choice. You can also make your own choices, without anyone else's approval, and those choices will only be "ridiculous" to those who don't get what you are trying to do.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Like does not equal "best", BTW, and heavy rifles in steep country obviously flew right over your head. Not surprised after reading your posts over the last month or two.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
JG, I've never personally carried a "heavy" rifle in the mountains, but there are some pretty serious hunters on here that I see posting pictures with 10- to 15-pound rifles in rough country. My current build is going to be over 10 pounds ready for action. I will let you know how it works for me. I may determine it to be too heavy, but I am going to find out.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Maybe you and Fischer can gather up a couple of "clues" while your out today. Like does not equal "best", BTW, and heavy rifles in steep country obviously flew right over your head. Not surprised after reading your posts over the last month or two.

You live in West Texas, and want to lecture me on heavy rifles in steep country? I grew up in the Rockies, hunting schitt so steep you gotta use your hands just to climb it. My first deer required over 2000 feet of vertical climb to get to. My son's first deer last year required nearly 1500 feet of vertical climb. Just STFU. Really.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still looking.... I have several rifles that I am fairly content with... but at the end of the day its just my opinion.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Maybe you and Fischer can gather up a couple of "clues" while your out today. Like does not equal "best", BTW, and heavy rifles in steep country obviously flew right over your head. Not surprised after reading your posts over the last month or two.

You live in West Texas, and want to lecture me on heavy rifles in steep country? I grew up in the Rockies, hunting schitt so steep you gotta use your hands just to climb it. My first deer required over 2000 feet of vertical climb to get to. My son's first deer last year required nearly 1500 feet of vertical climb. Just STFU. Really.

You're a climbing Sonofagun, but can't read for squat. Make it past the 6th grade?

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Uh oh I sense a call out soon.. so who’s traveling to what state for their ass whooping?? Or just meet up in Cheyenne Wyoming?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Prior to retiring I decided to get a great all around 'truck gun' as I planned on many days on the road and hunting everything from coyotes to Elk. My main criteria was reliability combined w/ a smooth action and a decent trigger. I wanted a good gun that would not make me cry if it was stolen. I ended up w/ a Tikka T3 Lite in 308 that was made perfect w/ the addition of SS 3-9 hd. I wouldn't mind if it was 2 lbs lighter but at 8 lbs it performs far above it's replacement value.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 79S

Uh oh I sense a call out soon.. so who’s traveling to what state for their ass whooping?? Or just meet up in Cheyenne Wyoming?

I've got way more on my plate than dealing with this clown, or any other clown for that matter. I'll leave the internet badass title to someone else.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rickt300
Nice deer! I doubt there will be anything like those in northTexas for me to shoot at. JohnBurns that looks like the country around Flaming gorge Reservoir.

There's a few in West Texas to shoot at. I've killed 41 muley bucks since 1971 and will be after 'em again with a T3X 6.5CM or McWhorter 7mm-08. I can't get enough of big mule deer bucks like this one........didn't have a tag.....already killed one.

Wow!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 79S

I've got way more on my plate than dealing with this clown, or any other clown for that matter. I'll leave the internet badass title to someone else.

Got TV to watch, and your grandkids' inheritance to piss away, huh, Boomer? The only clown in this discussion who should have paid more attention in 6th grade is the guy in your mirror. I read exactly what you wrote, then responded to it. Maybe you should go back and read it. Alzheimers sneaks up on you, and before you know it, you're schitting your pants and yelling at the computer.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (35, 79S, 6mmbrfan, 35WhelenNut, 673, 264mag, 16 invisible), 962 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,890
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.