Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
With striker fired autos, you don't have to worry about them cocking the hammer when they shouldn't.
We have neophytes renting guns on the range every day. We give them a 10 minute safety/operation briefing and haven't had anyone shoot themselves/others in 12+ years. Very few limpwristing jams, either.

Last edited by UPhiker; 08/26/20.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Very few limpwristing jams, either.

Does a revolver limp wrist jam?
I shoot revolvers a lot more than autos, but Ive seen and had autos jam a whole lot more.

I dont trust them to the degree I do revolvers.

They both have their salient points.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Very few limpwristing jams, either.

Does a revolver limp wrist jam?
I shoot revolvers a lot more than autos, but Ive seen and had autos jam a whole lot more.

I dont trust them to the degree I do revolvers.

They both have their salient points.
I was merely replying to those who said a semi was "too hard" for a beginner to learn. While many here have opinions, very few have dealt with a multitude of new shooters who are not "gun people".

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I dont think any are hard to learn; I think if you have 5 different makes/models of ammo for both, the revolver has an edge.

When the velocity of the ammo varies from pipsqueek to magnum, the revolver has the edge again.

Autos obviously conceal better and carry more rounds.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
New vehicles are pretty complicated, with dozens of new gadgets over what I learned how to drive in the '80's. Does that mean people should not buy new cars, because there is a learning curve? There are far more lives on the line with new cars than new guns.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Modern semi-autos are very reliable, but not without some faults.
In my 54 years of shooting handguns, I've never had an action-stopping jam or dropped magazine from any of my revolvers.
I just wish my revolvers held as many rounds as my semi-auto CZ's and Sigs hold.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
...I've never had an action-stopping jam from any ... revolvers.

Then you don't shoot enough. It can, and does happen, and when it does, there is generally no fresh mag, rack and tap fixes.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 08/26/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Then you don't shoot enough. It can, and does happen, and when it does, there is not drop the mag, rack and tap fixes.

You dont shoot much steel cased ammo in a variety of autos.

I dont recommend it, but pallets of it get sold.

Makes lots of single shots...

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Then you don't shoot enough. It can, and does happen, and when it does, there is not drop the mag, rack and tap fixes.

You dont shoot much steel cased ammo in a variety of autos.

I dont recommend it, but pallets of it get sold.

Makes lots of single shots...

Your right. I don't shoot much steel cased ammo in any of my guns.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
You dont, and I dont recommend it, but lets face it, TONS do.

Heck, some even carry with it.

A swelled case in a wheelgun still gives one 4 or 5 more rounds before its worthless.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Then you don't shoot enough. It can, and does happen, and when it does, there is generally no fresh mag, rack and tap fixes.

I don't shoot enough? Typically between 2,500-3,000 rounds per year of handgun ammo. Another 2,000+ rounds per year of .223 in service rifle competitions alone, not including training.
So, just how many rounds does it take to convince me that revolvers aren't more reliable than semi-autos?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
In my 54 years of shooting handguns, I've never had an action-stopping jam or dropped magazine from any of my revolvers.
I just wish my revolvers held as many rounds as my semi-auto CZ's and Sigs hold.

Police and military all left revolvers for semi autos. The semi is superior for self defense use. I have experienced revolver failure when the trigger on my Redhawk would not rebound on a fly in hunt in Alaska. Fire a round and then pull the trigger forward.
A semi is flatter and easier to carry IWB and faster reloads as well as more capacity

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

When the velocity of the ammo varies from pipsqueek to magnum, the revolver has the edge

The point of aim will be different for sure but certain can work

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
5, just 5. I shot a match with a J frame and when doing a reload, a grain of powder got under the extractor and the gun was out of commission. Only happened once but nearly everyone there knew exactly what happened so it wasn't the first time...

I like and carry both revolvers and autos. I don't understand all the "mine is better than yours" mentality around here. They both work, they both fail, they both are capable of shooting an idiot in the foot but that's not the guns fault. I traded for a 640-1 once because the guy said he was searching his house one night and it went off. For those that don't know, a 640-1 is a DAO J frame.

Buy one or both and learn the thing, practice with it and don't be an idiot. There is no wrong gun.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
New vehicles are pretty complicated, with dozens of new gadgets over what I learned how to drive in the '80's. Does that mean people should not buy new cars, because there is a learning curve? There are far more lives on the line with new cars than new guns.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Oh brother.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Folks just can't seem to get over the issue of only having five or six shots before having to reload.

Any opinions on this?

It's a fact they were trained by watching tv shows created by Hollywood. Just a carry over from non stop programming of disinformation by people whose reality is biased. Every cop and Gov't agent show on tv is programmed in their shooting segments as multiple shots or mag dumps for dramatic effect. Why do you think those who watch tv have anything but distorted reality? Personally I am glad as their are enough people pursuing vintage SW's as is quit rocking the boat. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

Oh brother.

Is there a problem with what I said? If there is, enlighten me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A swelled case in a wheelgun still gives one 4 or 5 more rounds before its worthless.

Maybe... Or maybe that swelled case pushes the primer or case head back tight against the recoil shield. If that happens your shooting experience stops immediately until you can knock the cylinder open and rap on the extraction rod hard enough to clear the cylinder. Sometimes that requires more than a palm strike and you need a rawhide mallet or something similar to get the situation sorted out. Better not bend the extraction rod or spring the crane while sorting the issue out. If you do the revolver is out of service until gunsmithing type attention fixes it. No fun! Wheel guns have troubles too and often a revolvers breakdown isn't as easily fixed as a tap, rack, bang drill for a semi auto. If a semi auto chokes tap, rack, bang or simply reloading the gun solves nearly all it's fixable malfunctions.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC

Maybe... Or maybe that swelled case pushes the primer or case head back tight against the recoil shield. If that happens your shooting experience stops immediately until you can knock the cylinder open and rap on the extraction rod hard enough to clear the cylinder. Sometimes that requires more than a palm strike and you need a rawhide mallet or something similar to get the situation sorted out. Better not bend the extraction rod or spring the crane while sorting the issue out. If you do the revolver is out of service until gunsmithing type attention fixes it. No fun! Wheel guns have troubles too and often a revolvers breakdown isn't as easily fixed as a tap, rack, bang drill for a semi auto. If a semi auto chokes tap, rack, bang or simply reloading the gun solves nearly all it's fixable malfunctions.

The new, inexperienced shooters that I referred to in my original post are not likely to be shooting any kind of ammo with swelled cases. They're a 50 year old woman purchasing her first gun and buying ammo at the counter at the local gun store, not shooting reloads.
Those same people aren't likely to need a high-capacity Glock with lots of rounds. A revolver should suit them just fine.

I started this post talking about new and inexperienced gun owners and folks and immediately went to, "well, the Glock and similar guns are good enough for the military and police". Yep, yes they are. So are M16's and handcuffs.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (16penny, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,144
Posts18,484,119
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.