Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by murkydismal
Leupold FXII 6x36 if you can find one.

That would get my vote as well. Perfect.

Last edited by Elvis; 09/06/20.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

If Leupold had a small amount knowledge, they'd still make this scope.
I'd take two, I'm sure others would like them too.

I just bought a second hand one in 99% condition. The box said Wide Duplex but the scope has the standard duplex. So maybe a different box. I wouldn't have minded if it was the wide duplex as I don't really mind them.

I have a brand new Z3 3-9x36 that was going to go on my rebarreled 6.5x57 but I'm thinking the 6x may be a bit more classic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sako76
Another vote for a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36!

And another vote for this one.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a big fan of the Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 with the Accurange reticle.

the scopes can be found pretty cheap, weigh 13oz, and that Accurange reticle has handy reference marks for aiming at 100, 200, 300, 400.

my son and I use these on our Savage LWH 308's and love it. Loaded package is right at 7# at a very reasonable price.

we hope to use these to put 165gr Accubonds through elk lungs next month. smile

good luck to you sir.

shane

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by BC30cal
yukon254;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

This year I ended up having a couple pounds of IMR 4831 go "off" on me - turned that reddish color and was dusty, so anyways that was the powder for the 120gr TTSX load I was shooting in the Swede, so since I was changing the powder I also am trying some 120gr GMX just because! grin

While I am now highly suspect of my speeds, it "may or may not" be that the load I settled on with VV N550 is pushing them at 2930fps! laugh

Seemed snappy enough and when the shop in Surrey that had a Pro Chrono model that I'd like to get returns from their summer shutdown, well if the stars align I'll see what it's really doing, you know?

As this is the first season which I'm "semi retired or fully into trial retirement", I intend to walk the local mountains flat AND do so during the middle of the week! wink

Weekends will be reserved for ferrying our eldest daughter out to try to see if we can get some freezer protein for her to shoot as well.

I'm not super sure where one would look for an older Compact Leupold like that other than gunnutz - but I've had reasonable luck buying and selling on that site over the years.

If you're not on gunnutz and you'd like me to look for something there, by all means give me a holler/PM and I'd be happy to do that for you.

Think I'm waiting for the 4th scope since spring bought on there.... blush Oh, I should add that 3 of them were for shooting buddys!

Anyways sir all the best to you all again.

Dwayne

Dwayne, thanks for the information and the gunnutz idea. Yes I do go on there occasionally. Once I get the rifle I will weigh it and see if I got one of the lighter versions. I had a leupold VXR 2-7 with the firedot on one of the rifles I sent in as trade on the new one. I had it mounted in an EAW pivot mount. It was a nice scope but the 30mm tube made it a bit heavy for what Im looking to put together now. Funny how as we get older light and simple seems more appealing!

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by yukon254
Looking for suggestions on the ideal scope for a lightweight 308 mountain rifle. No interest in shooting past 300. Thinking about the Trijicon 1-4x24.

The Trijicon is ~15 oz's, so it's fairly light. I've not used one but have heard they are reliable. Nothing past 300 makes it easier since you won't be dialing. As long as you like that scope and it's reliable try it.

Another option is the NX8 1-8 at ~17ozs. It give you the option of dialing if you wanted but sounds like it would be something you wouldn't use. Should be super reliable.

Originally Posted by utah708
How about that little 2.5-10x from SWFA?

This would probably be the lightest at ~9.5 oz and you should be fine with the duplex out to 300 without dialing.

Used NXS 2.5-10x32's at ~19 oz are pretty nice but pay a little weight penalty.....super reliable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that 1-4 would be a mistake for a mountain rifle. Sure it would weigh a few ounces less than something with a higher power range, but in my experience mountain hunting, elk and deer can be at short range or out in the open. I built up a light weight 7mm RM and it wore a 2.5-8x36 Leupold and it was okay, just a little lacking in last light brightness and first and last light is pretty often when you see a shooter animal. Now that 7mm RM wears a Swarovski 30 mm 2.5-10x42 and it is perfect. A couple of ounces more than that Leupold, but the advantage in the extra brightness and resolving power make it ideal.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Originally Posted by Sako76
Another vote for a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36!

And another vote for this one.

Yep.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Windfall
I think that 1-4 would be a mistake for a mountain rifle. Sure it would weigh a few ounces less than something with a higher power range, but in my experience mountain hunting, elk and deer can be at short range or out in the open. I built up a light weight 7mm RM and it wore a 2.5-8x36 Leupold and it was okay, just a little lacking in last light brightness and first and last light is pretty often when you see a shooter animal. Now that 7mm RM wears a Swarovski 30 mm 2.5-10x42 and it is perfect. A couple of ounces more than that Leupold, but the advantage in the extra brightness and resolving power make it ideal.

I have an older VXIII 2.5-8X36 and a newer VX3i 2.5-8X36, the newer model seems a bit brighter but I have never had an issue with either. If I did for the same price I'd get a VX3i 3.5-10X40 that would add 1.2oz

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yukon,

Your idea for a 1-4x is a good one.

For the non-budget constrained, the Nightforce NX8 1-8x would be a great option.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've used various combos but settled on a M8 4X for a true light weight. 4X will get you further than you think. 2nd option is a SWFA 3-9HD on a more do it all rifle with possible longer shots. I have 2 on a pair of Tikkas. With Sportsmatch rings, they still are under 8 lbs all up and a very solid set up.

It took a while but I have 'seen the light' as to hunting hard conditions with most variables...

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thinking about the Trijicon 1-4x24.

The Trijicon 3-9x40 only weighs 12.8 ounces.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Standard duplex..............the WD did not help sales, and they knew it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

If Leupold had a small amount knowledge, they'd still make this scope.
I'd take two, I'm sure others would like them too.

If Leupold had a small amount of knowledge, they would make their scopes reliable and to hold zero and I would have this scope (or a 6x42) on all of my light rifles. Getting them to track well enough so the average shooter doesn't need a box of shells to sight in would help too.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Mine wear 2.5-8x36 Leupolds.

This

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve about gave up on lightweight scopes I’ll take the extra 6 ounces go NF SHV especially if your gonna dial..

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don't know about "ideal", but a big 2# NF on a manly rifle (at least 10#, probably more) worked for this young man. I've posted this rather famous photo before. He caught some flack, not for the big rifle, but for being a hunter in AK and Africa, showing pictures of some really nice trophies....

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Aviator
I’ve about gave up on lightweight scopes I’ll take the extra 6 ounces go NF SHV especially if your gonna dial..

This or a nxs compact. I like to Use a light mountain rifle and a reliable scope like a nightforce and you will still be under 7 pounds. I’m surprised by all the Leupold recommendations and I don’t doubt everyone’s experience. Maybe I’m just unlucky but haven’t had good results with the VX3i scopes.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Looking for suggestions on the ideal scope for a lightweight 308 mountain rifle. No interest in shooting past 300. Thinking about the Trijicon 1-4x24.

I would suggest a 2 3/4x. I have 2 3/4x and a 1-4x and both work really well. But with the 1-4x set on 1x I can see my rifle barrel through the scope, I keep that one set on 4x and works fine. If you do the 1-4x, well mine anyway, early 1970's Redfielld, its quite a bit smaller unit than a straight 4x and at one time a 4x was my choice for a hunting scope. Something a lot of people don't realize about even the 2 3/4x power scope, plenty of magnification even past 300yds. Shoting at a game animal the far out the aiming point is much larger than any target you can get. You could go with ether a 2-7x or a 3-9x and keep them on the lowest setting. Works great but you do have that larger scope body on the rifle. My 25-06 has a 3-9x on it and I've never felt the need for more than 3x shooting at game. I could do a 2-7x and be in the same situation with 2x! But the size of my two old Redfield's make them the best for me by a long shot!

Last edited by DonFischer; 09/06/20.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,225
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.