Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
35 mph wind - hah. We had 140, every light pole in Lake Charles, LA is down. All 7 high voltage lines that feed us is “catastrophically damaged”. Been two weeks Wednesday and I’m being told 4-6 more before it’s restored.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The 40-60mph wind isn't so bad, but combined with lots of dry fuel and the potential for fire it makes for scary conditions.

We try to stay home(on the greener, less windy river bottom) when it gets like that.

But yeah, hurricane force winds would flatten the country up here.

No thanks!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Steve: At 4:00 PM today it was snowing/sleeting/raining here and blowin hard - and 35 degrees!
Quite a change from Sunday with a high, that I saw, of 84!
Not much chance at all of new fires around here today.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Just checked the "official" local weather site and 34.1 degrees was the afternoon low with gusts to 41 and 0.33" precip.

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Steve: At 4:00 PM today it was snowing/sleeting/raining here and blowin hard - and 35 degrees!
Quite a change from Sunday with a high, that I saw, of 84!
Not much chance at all of new fires around here today.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Just checked the "official" local weather site and 34.1 degrees was the afternoon low with gusts to 41 and 0.33" precip.

It's your cold air that's supposed to make it blow here. Snow on fully leafed out trees and wind is a mess.

Carpe' Scrotum
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Borchardt
35 mph wind - hah. We had 140, every light pole in Lake Charles, LA is down. All 7 high voltage lines that feed us is “catastrophically damaged”. Been two weeks Wednesday and I’m being told 4-6 more before it’s restored.

It's not the wind so much as fire. We've not much rain since mid June. When your surrounded by 100ft tall fir trees and a power line goes or someone does something stupid, it could be sporty.

That being said, I don't envy you guys. My cousin's widow lives near New Llano. Not sure if she's back home yet.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I just checked the radar, and the nastiness is only about 150 miles north of us right now - over mid-Idaho - and marching south. Ought to be here about midnight or sooner. Lots of rain and high elevation snow showing in it, which would be welcome, but the winds and temps are not. Oh well...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We seem to have lucked out. Max winds were 33 mph at 3 a.m. and are only half that right now. And we got a quarter-inch of rain out of it so far. That's the first rain since June 28. Could still get a bit more, if luck holds. Temp is 45.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We're getting a lot of wind down here on the CA border.....Winds are blowing pretty hard, and the front yard is covered in Green Leaves and branches... we've also got smoke like crazy since over night...

Air Quality alerts, listed as hazardous for older people and babies..

High heat warnings for next 32 hour or so... 100+ degrees...

Red Flag forcast and warnings for fire watch....

very low humidity 4%... along with winds they are concerned about fire potential...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I fought forest fires for many years (collateral duty stuff).

There was a video of a "running crown fire" overtaking Yellowstone Village and us fire folks screaming at the news media to get the hell out of the way.

I have relooked for the video in the past and never found it.

Plenty of other running crown fire video on the internet... unreal stuff.

Wind-driven running Crown fires are such a freakish type of fire... like the top of every tree in the forest set with a claymore and the whole bloody Forest charges at you at 20 miles an hour.

Good luck fellas...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Power went in and out a few times last night. Heard arcing once on the road up the hill. Picked up a few limbs last night but didn't hear any trees come down.

Still a little breezy.

Several fires in the area but nothing close to us as far as I know.

Just getting light now. Probably have stuff to add to the burn pile, but no bad at all.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I was going to say (smugly) that I'm glad I live in Northern Ohio. But...we had 4" of rain in a short period yesterday and now there are flash flood warnings.

It's crazy all over.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Winds hit 39 MPH at the airport in town last night around 10:00.

We're lucky here in that we're usually 5-10mph less. I think my cheeseball anemometer recorded a 27 mph gust last night. There's a big ridge behind us that pushes South and SW winds over us, and another smaller one across the valley that keeps the NE ones at bay somewhat. A direct N wind is about the worst, but I think we've still only hit around 40 since we moved here 4 years ago.

The thirty degree drop in temps is sort of nice, except for the green maters in the beds. 66F now, 97F yesterday. I'm going out this afternoon to put the visqueen over the hoops to catch some heat for the night, frost warnings here.

Then back up to near 90F by Sunday. Gotta love it around here. Only thing missing is some rain, which is very much needed. Looks like maybe showers over west of us, but not supposed to get here.

Power was out for a couple of hours today again, after a 3 hour outage the other day. Wind damage to lines. Got to test my new generator to run our well. We're set now,. wood stove for heat if needed. Campstoves for cooking if too hot for the woodstove.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Santiam Valley on fire. Idahna, Detroit, Silver falls all under mandatory evacuation.

https://ktvz.com/news/fire-alert/20...owned-trees-wildfires-close-hwys-22-126/

Carpe' Scrotum
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Around this place it happens most of the time.

Along with a lot of dirt in the air.

It is going on now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Power has been out for 13 hours. Generator is up and running the main house right this moment. The other houses get generator support every few hours.

Playing musical chairs with a genny is a hoot!

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well scheidt.

Does our "Santiam" live there?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Power has been out for 13 hours. Generator is up and running the main house right this moment. The other houses get generator support every few hours.

Playing musical chairs with a genny is a hoot!

😎

That's what I'm looking at if we ever go down long time. Run genset for the well, fill jugs, take showers, let water heater catch up. Then if needed move generator closer to house and power cords through the window for the fridge and stuff.

I've got one little one that was here with the house, camping size, but I haven't been able to get it to start with just minor fooling around. Likely need to pull carb etc and try over. Or just scheidtcan it and buy another small one.

Hope yours comes back on soon.

In it is contentment

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mill City.

Last edited by Steve; 09/08/20.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G, it could be sometime before power resumes. TPUD is bringing lines up slow to ensure sparking won’t cause a fire.

It’s a process that doesn’t have my elk meat and assortment of frozen food items on the endangered species list I’m afraid.

😬😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
Mill City.

I’ve posted up the wife and dog with a garden hose to protect our property from accidental sparks.

It’s basically a good way to get some peace and quiet from her constant questions about when I should move the generator.

🤣😎

“Molon Labe”
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,830
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.