-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think that's probably what they mean when they say as good as it gets.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by smallfry
When I couldn’t get a satisfactory sight picture with the too-wide, eighth-inch, stock front sight on my Model 640, I installed an old Model 60 barrel with its 1/10” front sight, then lowered that sight till 129gr Hydra-Shoks were all in the black at 25 yards. Very satisfying. Now, twenty years later, the light must be just so before I can adequately see those sights.

is there anything you can to do now to help see the sights better?

With age comes wisdom, and deteriorating eyesight. That 640 is still very shootable in good light, has a most excellent trigger, and looks just too cool to change barrels again. Its lightweight 642 stable mate, on the hand, had its eighth-inch front sight milled to accept an XS Sights Standard Dot Tritium front, which is very easy to see and not at all light dependent:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Please ignore the flyer. 135gr +P GDHP Short Barrel ammo is just too ‘spensive to shoot up trying for a better looking 15 yard target.

That XS front sight covers the entire black bullseye at 15 yards, and makes sighting easy: Just center that front sight on the paper, covering the black, and use your best double action trigger technique.

who did the work? How is that sight affixed?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I couldn’t get a satisfactory sight picture with the too-wide, eighth-inch, stock front sight on my Model 640, I installed an old Model 60 barrel with its 1/10” front sight, then lowered that sight till 129gr Hydra-Shoks were all in the black at 25 yards. Very satisfying. Now, twenty years later, the light must be just so before I can adequately see those sights.

is there anything you can to do now to help see the sights better?

With age comes wisdom, and deteriorating eyesight. That 640 is still very shootable in good light, has a most excellent trigger, and looks just too cool to change barrels again. Its lightweight 642 stable mate, on the hand, had its eighth-inch front sight milled to accept an XS Sights Standard Dot Tritium front, which is very easy to see and not at all light dependent:

Please ignore the flyer. 135gr +P GDHP Short Barrel ammo is just too ‘spensive to shoot up trying for a better looking 15 yard target.

That XS front sight covers the entire black bullseye at 15 yards, and makes sighting easy: Just center that front sight on the paper, covering the black, and use your best double action trigger technique.

who did the work? How is that sight affixed?

Any competent machinist can do the work, following the clear instructions which XS provides with the sight. Then, the XS sight is simply epoxied onto the stud which was created by machining down the old front sight. If the POI was at the top of the original front sight, it’ll be behind the center of the dot on the XS sight.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenster99
GunGeek, maybe you built it? This one has a double action smoother than anything I have seen. When I bought it, was told it was built for PPC competition. Bought it sometime in the 80's.
It's certainly a possibility, but who knows. Since I was the "kid" in the shop, they had me mostly working on the easier stuff like action jobs; so a LOT of revolvers crossed my bench when it came to action work...it was our bread and butter. I had built a few Smolt's and Cougers, and I was well practiced on Ruger double actions, so it's a possibility.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A joy to read this thread. My first handgun soon as I was an official Texas resident was a 3” Mod 60 in .38 Special. As soon as soon as they made it a .357 I upgraded. That Model 60 served as a do everything handgun for years, also kept on hand for home defense.

My first cc gun was a blued Mod 39 Bodyguard Airweight, after they revamped the j-frames I replaced that with the grey Airweight version (the ones where they took the firing pin off the hammer and made all Airweight cylinders .357 length, I dunno the Model number).

My Ex recently took that grey Bodyguard because, technically, it was hers.

So I went back to the blued 39 but by now I treasure it so much I’d rather leave it in the safe. Been looking around, at this time of civil unrest all I’ve been seeing is the hammerless 442’s.

So just yesterday there was gunshow in town, other than a high-priced original 60’s version there were only two Airweights on display in the whole show, both 442’s.

So I bought one, though I’d much prefer a shrouded hammer. I put my preferred Uncle Mike’s “Combat” grip on it and it’s good to go.

One thing I had forgotten about tho is the fuggin “safety locks” mad it’s been that long since I’ve bought a S&W.

Of course I intend never to use it, do these “safety locks” ever cause problems?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only ones I’ve ever seen cause issues were on 329 Scandium 44 mags. They would lock themselves under heavy recoil.

I don’t own any guns with the lock but I’d get a “Plug” from the guy on the S&W forum if I did.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheKid
The only ones I’ve ever seen cause issues were on 329 Scandium 44 mags. They would lock themselves under heavy recoil.

I don’t own any guns with the lock but I’d get a “Plug” from the guy on the S&W forum if I did.

Hey, tks, might be the same guy online too.

https://www.originalprecision.com/lock-delete-kit.html

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Hey, tks, might be the same guy online too.

https://www.originalprecision.com/lock-delete-kit.html

Yep, that's him. Have a couple on J frames.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The S&W lock does have one good use. If your flight connects through Chicago, and should your baggage with the gun in it go “missing,” it is at least of some small consolation to know that the thief will be thinking unkind thoughts of you.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I could never get the lock to deploy spontaneously.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Nor I, but I’ve talked to two guys it happened to. One with a scandium .44 and the other with a .460.

I’d not have a new S&W with the lock unless it was disabled.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've had a few; only have one now... 617. My 617 has an obscene number of rounds through it and it has never given me any hint of trouble; absolutely fantastic revolver. I had a 340 J frame .357 which developed WAY more recoil than any .44 or .460 and I could never get it to deploy. I also had a 431 that, while not a .357...it's still a banger you don't want to shoot all day...never a problem.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wish they made a 340 or 340PD in 38 special only.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I could never get the lock to deploy spontaneously.

The 437 PD that I have will lock itself if you shoot fast double action, until I removed the lock

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The S&W lock does have one good use. If your flight connects through Chicago, and should your baggage with the gun in it go “missing,” it is at least of some small consolation to know that the thief will be thinking unkind thoughts of you.

At last! A legit reason for a lock grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On the topic of the .38 Special in general a friend of mine has said “despite the rapid advances in bullet technology and the subsequent increases in the effectiveness of other calibers, specifically the 9mm, and the guns that fire them, all the bad guys killed by the Cops back then with their .38 Special revolvers are still dead.” 🙂

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
To summarize a story I read some time ago among the gun literature discussing the relative merits and stopping power of various handgun rounds:

In the 1970's a black NY Transit Authority cop had a shootout with a wanted bank robber. The cop had his .38 revolver and the bad guy had a 1911 .45. Both of them emptied their pistols at each other from spitting distance, just a few yards apart. When it was over the cop was standing unscathed and the bank robber was dead.

When asked about it later, the cop said, "shootin' straight with my thirty eight beats him givin' me jive with a forty five."

Hmm, something about accuracy or hitting the target being the most important factor might make a good sig line... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
To summarize a story I read some time ago among the gun literature discussing the relative merits and stopping power of various handgun rounds:

In the 1970's a black NY Transit Authority cop had a shootout with a wanted bank robber. The cop had his .38 revolver and the bad guy had a 1911 .45. Both of them emptied their pistols at each other from spitting distance, just a few yards apart. When it was over the cop was standing unscathed and the bank robber was dead.

When asked about it later, the cop said, "shootin' straight with my thirty eight beats him givin' me jive with a forty five."

Hmm, something about accuracy or hitting the target being the most important factor might make a good sig line... wink

What he said.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RGK
For a couple of years or so I was shooting this daily, mostly with wadcutters or 158 grain ball. An easy revolver to like.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Few things are as fun as a .38 Special for punching paper:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Google Jim Cerillo (spelling?)… 38 worked for hi,…aLOT

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 257Bob, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,871 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,311
Posts18,487,258
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.