Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
there are plenty of christians who place emphasis on the teachings of jesus...
That’s because...even if one doesn’t believe that He’s the Son of God...following His teachings will make one’s life better, and make one better at life. And who doesn’t want their life to be better, and be better at life...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It's not complicated.

It's not complicated. Hindus believe on faith, Muslims believe on faith, Jews believe on faith, but given the irreconcilable differences between these faiths they can't all be true. If one is true, the others must be false. They all claim truth, which cannot be true. They can't all be true, but they can all be wrong.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
You're actually the one displaying fear, and childishly retorting with unsubstantiated threats, just because someone is providing facts and logic that leave you uncomfortable with the falsehoods and deceit of your own beliefs.

Nope.

I don't feel the need to crash every thread of believers sharing their faith and confidence in the future.

But you do, because you're trying to convince yourself you're not afraid of what's going to happen when you shake off the moronic coil.

You should realize by now, after the thousands of posts tryin ta drag other people's faith down unsuccessfully, that you're not posting for *them*.

You're posting to try and keep the boogeyman of truth from making you think about how your afterlife is going to turn out.

You faithophobes had any balls, you'd start your own thread, somethin along the lines of "I'm just gonna turn ta dust when I die, who's with me?" or something like that.

Then the fearful can gather in their own thread, and support each other in their denial that they're not going to face judgment for the things they've done.

I promise not ta crash it and spend hours postin google cut n paste crap tryin ta convince you you're not a worthless piece of crap.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Fubarski
You're actually the one displaying fear, and childishly retorting with unsubstantiated threats, just because someone is providing facts and logic that leave you uncomfortable with the falsehoods and deceit of your own beliefs.

Nope.

I don't feel the need to crash every thread of believers sharing their faith and confidence in the future.

But you do, because you're trying to convince yourself you're not afraid of what's going to happen when you shake off the moronic coil.

You should realize by now, after the thousands of posts tryin ta drag other people's faith down unsuccessfully, that you're not posting for *them*.

You're posting to try and keep the boogeyman of truth from making you think about how your afterlife is going to turn out.

You faithophobes had any balls, you'd start your own thread, somethin along the lines of "I'm just gonna turn ta dust when I die, who's with me?" or something like that.

Then the fearful can gather in their own thread, and support each other in their denial that they're not going to face judgment for the things they've done.

I promise not ta crash it and spend hours postin google cut n paste crap tryin ta convince you you're not a worthless piece of crap.

Christian tantrum - feel better now?

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Nope.

Christian tantrum - feel better now?

Never felt better, before or after.

Still scared shatless?

LOL

IC B2

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Nope.

This thread is not about believers sharing their faith, yet believers are participating. And they are quite welcome to participate. After all, it is a discussion forum.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT

When asked why you believe Jesus did not fulfill the law.... or meet the description of the prophesied Messiah, you simply retreat.

Rubbish. Judaism provides the reasons. It's not secret information.

Why retreat? Why try to back out with this weak comment “The reasons have been cited several times before”.......?[/url]

Retreat is your fantasy, a means of defense. An extremely poor means defense at that. I said that I have cited the reasons why Jesus fails to meet OT prophesy because that it exactly what I have done. Do I have to do it every day? The information is freely available. Judaism tells us why.

There may be those now reading that don’t know where this has been covered before.

OK, once again, for the sake of other readers:

Why Jesus does not meet OT prophesy;

Jews do not accept Jesus as the messiah because:

Jesus did not fulfill the messianic prophecies.
Jesus did not embody the personal qualifications of the Messiah.
Biblical verses "referring" to Jesus are mistranslations.
Jewish belief is based on national revelation.

But first, some background: What exactly is the Messiah?

The word "Messiah" is an English rendering of the Hebrew word Mashiach, which means "anointed." It usually refers to a person initiated into God's service by being anointed with oil. (Exodus 29:7, 1-Kings 1:39, 2-Kings 9:3)
(1) Jesus Did Not Fulfill the Messianic Prophecies

What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? One of the central themes of biblical prophecy is the promise of a future age of perfection characterized by universal peace and recognition of God. (Isaiah 2:1-4, 32:15-18, 60:15-18; Zephaniah 3:9; Hosea 2:20-22; Amos 9:13-15; Micah 4:1-4; Zechariah 8:23, 14:9; Jeremiah 31:33-34)

Specifically, the Bible says he will:

Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world – on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

If an individual fails to fulfill even one of these conditions, then he cannot be the Messiah.

Because no one has ever fulfilled the Bible's description of this future King, Jews still await the coming of the Messiah. All past Messianic claimants, including Jesus of Nazareth, Bar Cochba and Shabbtai Tzvi have been rejected.

Christians counter that Jesus will fulfill these in the Second Coming. Jewish sources show that the Messiah will fulfill the prophecies outright; in the Bible no concept of a second coming exists.
(2) Jesus Did Not Embody the Personal Qualifications of Messiah
A. Messiah as Prophet

The Messiah will become the greatest prophet in history, second only to Moses. (Targum – Isaiah 11:2; Maimonides – Teshuva 9:2)

Prophecy can only exist in Israel when the land is inhabited by a majority of world Jewry, a situation which has not existed since 300 BCE. During the time of Ezra, when the majority of Jews remained in Babylon, prophecy ended upon the death of the last prophets – Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi.

Jesus appeared on the scene approximately 350 years after prophecy had ended, and thus could not be a prophet.
B. Descendant of David

Many prophetic passages speak of a descendant of King David who will rule Israel during the age of perfection. (Isaiah 11:1-9; Jeremiah 23:5-6, 30:7-10, 33:14-16; Ezekiel 34:11-31, 37:21-28; Hosea 3:4-5)

The Messiah must be descended on his father's side from King David (see Genesis 49:10, Isaiah 11:1, Jeremiah 23:5, 33:17; Ezekiel 34:23-24). According to the Christian claim that Jesus was the product of a virgin birth, he had no father – and thus could not have possibly fulfilled the messianic requirement of being descended on his father's side from King David. (1)

According to Jewish sources, the Messiah will be born of human parents and possess normal physical attributes like other people. He will not be a demi-god, (2) nor will he possess supernatural qualities.
C. Torah Observance

The Messiah will lead the Jewish people to full Torah observance. The Torah states that all mitzvot remain binding forever, and anyone coming to change the Torah is immediately identified as a false prophet. (Deut. 13:1-4)

Throughout the Christian "New Testament," Jesus contradicts the Torah and states that its commandments are no longer applicable. For example, John 9:14 records that Jesus made a paste in violation of Shabbat, which caused the Pharisees to say (verse 16), "He does not observe Shabbat!"
(3) Mistranslated Verses "Referring" to Jesus

Biblical verses can only be understood by studying the original Hebrew text – which reveals many discrepancies in the Christian translation.
A. Virgin Birth

The Christian idea of a virgin birth is derived from the verse in Isaiah 7:14 describing an "alma" as giving birth. The word "alma" has always meant a young woman, but Christian theologians came centuries later and translated it as "virgin." This accords Jesus' birth with the first century pagan idea of mortals being impregnated by gods.
B. Suffering Servant

Christianity claims that Isaiah chapter 53 refers to Jesus, as the "suffering servant."

In actuality, Isaiah 53 directly follows the theme of chapter 52, describing the exile and redemption of the Jewish people. The prophecies are written in the singular form because the Jews ("Israel") are regarded as one unit. Throughout Jewish scripture, Israel is repeatedly called, in the singular, the "Servant of God" (see Isaiah 43:8). In fact, Isaiah states no less than 11 times in the chapters prior to 53 that the Servant of God is Israel.

When read correctly, Isaiah 53 clearly [and ironically] refers to the Jewish people being "bruised, crushed and as sheep brought to slaughter" at the hands of the nations of the world. These descriptions are used throughout Jewish scripture to graphically describe the suffering of the Jewish people (see Psalm 44).

Isaiah 53 concludes that when the Jewish people are redeemed, the nations will recognize and accept responsibility for the inordinate suffering and death of the Jews.
(4) Jewish Belief is Based Solely on National Revelation

Throughout history, thousands of religions have been started by individuals, attempting to convince people that he or she is God's true prophet. But personal revelation is an extremely weak basis for a religion because one can never know if it is indeed true. Since others did not hear God speak to this person, they have to take his word for it. Even if the individual claiming personal revelation performs miracles, they do not prove he is a genuine prophet. All the miracles show – assuming they are genuine – is that he has certain powers. It has nothing to do with his claim of prophecy.

Judaism, unique among all of the world's major religions, does not rely on "claims of miracles" as the basis for its religion. In fact, the Bible says that God sometimes grants the power of "miracles" to charlatans, in order to test Jewish loyalty to the Torah (Deut. 13:4).

Of the thousands of religions in human history, only Judaism bases its belief on national revelation – i.e. God speaking to the entire nation. If God is going to start a religion, it makes sense He'll tell everyone, not just one person.

Maimonides states (Foundations of Torah, ch. 8):

The Jews did not believe in Moses, our teacher, because of the miracles he performed. Whenever anyone's belief is based on seeing miracles, he has lingering doubts, because it is possible the miracles were performed through magic or sorcery. All of the miracles performed by Moses in the desert were because they were necessary, and not as proof of his prophecy.

What then was the basis of [Jewish] belief? The Revelation at Mount Sinai, which we saw with our own eyes and heard with our own ears, not dependent on the testimony of others... as it says, "Face to face, God spoke with you..." The Torah also states: "God did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us – who are all here alive today." (Deut. 5:3)

Judaism is not miracles. It is the personal eyewitness experience of every man, woman and child, standing at Mount Sinai 3,300 years ago.

Further reading: "Did God Speak at Mount Sinai?"
Waiting for the Messiah

The world is in desperate need of Messianic redemption. To the extent that we are aware of the problems of society, is the extent we will yearn for redemption. As the Talmud says, one of the first questions asked of a Jew on Judgment Day is: "Did you yearn for the arrival of the Messiah?"

How can we hasten the coming of the Messiah? The best way is to love all humanity generously, to keep the mitzvot of the Torah (as best we can), and to encourage others to do so as well.

“Knowledge in...... bs out”.

I will be back to further explain this idiom.

You should be an expert by now.

Meh.... nothing but a long rambling list of unsubstantiated statements. The more the words, the less the meaning.

KIBO

In other words, you are either incapable of understanding the reasons why Jesus failed to meet OT prophesy, or you refuse to even contemplate the possibility.

Either way, in a couple of days you'll pretend the reasons were never given and claim that I am running away from the issue....when that is precisely what you do.

DBT,

Well, you just went to Jewish site and did a cut and paste. I did look at a couple of the references and most if not all are easily refuted. Some points made are just plain malarkey….. but you cannot see that. You see this drivel as having some element of truth to it. You cannot distinguish truth from error.

I will digress for a moment…. I read one fairly well known Jewish writer who was quoting the Book of Job and using the text to refute Christian tenets. It perked my interest, so I looked up the Scripture references he was quoting. Turns out he was listing statements made by Job’s ungodly friends…. huge error….. Job’s friends gave him ungodly and right out bad advice. This Jewish writer was referring to their words as coming from God. They were simply words of men, not from God at all. Here is the point…. He did not realize his error and truly thought the GOD had spoken when in fact, it was just Job’s “buddies.”

If you want to know truth…. truth…. (and many people shun the truth)…. if you want truth, it takes some work… some discernment and some opening of the mind. If you are content with sweet soothing lies, you may not ever find the truth.

But, let me cut to the chase here…. consider this:

Itching ears…. “… their ears itch, and they must have those that will scratch them. The disease of lust in their souls brings forth an itch in their ears, that they will have a mind to hear only such as will by scratching please them…”

Like the Bob Dylan song says…. “You Gotta Serve Somebody”

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
So, where does the rabbi stand on Trump.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

DBT,

Well, you just went to Jewish site and did a cut and paste. I did look at a couple of the references and most if not all are easily refuted. Some points made are just plain malarkey….. but you cannot see that. You see this drivel as having some element of truth to it. You cannot distinguish truth from error.

I will digress for a moment…. I read one fairly well known Jewish writer who was quoting the Book of Job and using the text to refute Christian tenets. It perked my interest, so I looked up the Scripture references he was quoting. Turns out he was listing statements made by Job’s ungodly friends…. huge error….. Job’s friends gave him ungodly and right out bad advice. This Jewish writer was referring to their words as coming from God. They were simply words of men, not from God at all. Here is the point…. He did not realize his error and truly thought the GOD had spoken when in fact, it was just Job’s “buddies.”

If you want to know truth…. truth…. (and many people shun the truth)…. if you want truth, it takes some work… some discernment and some opening of the mind. If you are content with sweet soothing lies, you may not ever find the truth.

Itching ears…. “… their ears itch, and they must have those that will scratch them. The disease of lust in their souls brings forth an itch in their ears, that they will have a mind to hear only such as will by scratching please them…”

I went to a Jewish site because the OT/Torah is their holy book, it is their religion, their writings, their tradition....and they themselves give their reasons why Jesus does not meet the requirements of their prophesied Messiah as described in their traditions and their holy book.

Regardless of who provides the information, you fail to address the given reasons, instead resort to wailing and gnashing your teeth over what I do, or where the information comes from.

You need to lift your game and do better.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Starman
Best they still attend and ask ones pastor
why Mark the first Gospel does not mention
something as amazing as a virgin birth...
John and Paul also make no mention.

Maybe they didn't mention it since it was old news at the time.

Last edited by achadwick; 09/13/20.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT

DBT,

I went to a Jewish site because the OT/Torah is their holy book, it is their religion, their writings, their tradition....and they themselves give their reasons why Jesus does not meet the requirements of their prophesied Messiah as described in their traditions and their holy book.

Regardless of who provides the information, you fail to address the given reasons, instead resort to wailing and gnashing your teeth over what I do, or where the information comes from.

No, you went to the Jewish site because you have itching ears.

Truth is anathema to you. I suspect you fear it. Darkness is afraid of the light.

Simple.....

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DBT

DBT,

Truth is anathema to you. I suspect you fear it. Darkness is afraid of the light.

Simple.....

Why do you disparage those that ask simple, logical questions? What makes you appear so angry and defensive? What are you so afraid of?

Well?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by gunner500
I don't think he hates the lord, think he hates bullshltting fake hypocrites that thrive on fear to enrich themselves with old scared peoples money that ARE convinced by con men they have to buy themselves into heaven, just as I DO, there are many polished speakers in pulpits and here on this forum as well, I never cared to learn, but would as soon crush the skull or strangle any thumper conman trying to sell me a load of bull-fu-king-shlt to my face. smile

Dismissing faith because of a few Shamwow television conmen is the same as hating all cops because one occasionally goes bad.

Maybe you can do us all a favor, and list all the 'fire members profiting financially from their efforts to educate in these threads.

That way, us gullible people will know who t look out for.

Faith itself is a problem, a belief held without the support of evidence is a poor means of sorting fact from fiction.

But I guess for the purpose of faith, the truth is not important.

What a nonsensical, idiotic statement. In the first place, faith is not "a belief held without [supporting] evidence". It is a belief held on the basis of some evidence, but evidence insufficient to make faith unnecessary, viz., evidence short of sure knowledge. And who are you to say that to God faith does not have some essential, salvific value that, for His purposes, makes it essential in His followers? In any event, the simple, inescapable, irrefutable fact is that every person on this planet believes in something on the basis of faith, including you DBT. Are the things you believe on the basis of faith untrue simply becuase you can't prove them incontroveribly true to every skeptic? With almost every post you confirm that you are indeed like "that Cretin who said that all Cretins are liars".

Last edited by Tarquin; 09/13/20.

Tarquin
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

That makes it clear, you are unable to argue reasonably or logically.

Simple.....

Truth? It's also clear that you don't know the meaning of the word.

Instead of addressing the issues being raised logically and reasonably, you typically turn it into a pissing contest. Believe whatever you like. It's not a good example of Christianity.

Starman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by achadwick
Originally Posted by Starman
Best they still attend and ask ones pastor
why Mark the first Gospel does not mention
something as amazing as a virgin birth...
John and Paul also make no mention.

Maybe they didn't mention it since it was old news at the time.

Yet older news when metioned in the later
Matthew and Luke... so why bother?

Why do you disparage those that ask simple, logical questions?
What makes you appear so angry and defensive? What are you so afraid of?

Christians are trained that they must control the
narrative... Anyone that questions is a troll to TF.
Hes is a crusty 6 day creationist, unicorns and
talking serpent and donkey type...so we can
take it he fears a burning hell.

CF christians that support evolution would be
diabolical heretics to him... coz they present
science that constantly burst his fragile christian
bubble mind where superstiton, legends and myth
take precedence.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by gunner500
I don't think he hates the lord, think he hates bullshltting fake hypocrites that thrive on fear to enrich themselves with old scared peoples money that ARE convinced by con men they have to buy themselves into heaven, just as I DO, there are many polished speakers in pulpits and here on this forum as well, I never cared to learn, but would as soon crush the skull or strangle any thumper conman trying to sell me a load of bull-fu-king-shlt to my face. smile

Dismissing faith because of a few Shamwow television conmen is the same as hating all cops because one occasionally goes bad.

Maybe you can do us all a favor, and list all the 'fire members profiting financially from their efforts to educate in these threads.

That way, us gullible people will know who t look out for.

Faith itself is a problem, a belief held without the support of evidence is a poor means of sorting fact from fiction.

But I guess for the purpose of faith, the truth is not important.

What a nonsensical, idiotic statement. In the first place, faith is not "a belief held without [supporting] evidence". It is a belief held on the basis of some evidence, but evidence insufficient to make faith unnecessary, viz., evidence short of sure knowledge. And who are you to say that to God faith does not have some essential, salvific value that, for His purposes, makes it essential in His followers? In any event, the simple, inescapable, irrefutable fact is that every person on this planet believes in something on the basis of faith, including you DBT. Are the things you believe on the basis of faith untrue simply becuase you can't prove them incontroveribly true to every skeptic? With almost every post you confirm that you are indeed like "that Cretin who said that all Cretins are liars".

You have no idea.

Not a clue.

Nonsensical is making up terms and definitions that suit your own needs, definitions that are patently false.

Wake up:

faith
/ (feɪθ) /
noun
1 - strong or unshakeable belief in something, esp without proof or evidence
2 - a specific system of religious beliefs, the Jewish faith
3 - Christianity trust in God and in his actions and promises, a conviction of the truth of certain doctrines of religion, esp when this is not based on reason

"Faith is like a piece of blank paper whereon you may write as well one miracle as another." ~ Charles Blount (1654-1693)

"Faith is the antithesis of proof." ~ NY State Supreme Court Justice Edward J. Greenfield, 1995

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as a useful tool." - Seneca

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You're an idiot of the highest order. Really and truly. I've made up nothing and redefined nothing. You've merely idiosyncratically and arbitrarily selected defintions you think (quite ignorantly) are authoritative because ratify your position while failing utterly to account for variant definitions or contexts (non-theistic) in which faith is wholly and utterly applicable as an intellectual construct. In your intellectual perfidy (in which are you consistently exempt your own faith and metaphyiscs from your analysis) you are at least consistent! But the criticism you make of faith applies equally to the beliefs you yourself harbor on the basis of faith, which is why I said (as think I've said before of you) "you are like the Cretin who said all Cretins are liars".

Tarquin
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You mistake faith and facts. Facts are verifiable. Faith is made up to try and explain things not understood and devoid of proof. There are many without faith but have facts. Like they say, science doesn't know everything, religion knows nothing.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 09/14/20.

Well?
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You're an idiot of the highest order. Really and truly. I've made up nothing and redefined nothing.

Rude and arrogant. Here you are redefining faith to suit your own needs:

''In the first place, faith is not "a belief held without [supporting] evidence". It is a belief held on the basis of some evidence, but evidence insufficient to make faith unnecessary, viz., evidence short of sure knowledge. - Tarquin ''

Seeing that we are going down this road on your instigation..there lies an idiot of the Highest order. You don't even realize what you were doing when you described faith. A description is definition. When you describe something, you are defining it.

You've merely idiosyncratically and arbitrarily selected defintions you think (quite ignorantly) are authoritative....''

No, you idiot, anybody with half a brain should understand that words may have multiple applications and meanings, and that it is the context in which the word is used that defines its meaning in that context...hence the definition of faith I supplied is in reference to religion.

The definition and the quotes clearly refer and relate to religion and faith. Wake up Noddy. Grow a brain.

Sadly, I don't hold much of hope of that ever happening.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You mistake faith and facts. Facts are verifiable. Faith is made up to try and explain things not understood and devoid of proof. There are many without faith but have facts. Like they say, science doesn't know everything, religion knows nothing.

Poor Tarquin doesn't have a clue. Zilch, Zip, Nada, clueless. All wind, no substance.

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 16gage, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,843
Posts18,517,227
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.