Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Whelenman
You have to accompany a kid on a youth hunt here in Michigan.

Is that for sure? I know during regular firearm a kid that age (14) can be left alone on public land legally.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Deer season is open in Michigan? Bow hunting? But then, who bow hunts deer in a un picked corn field and then lays down for a nap and doesn't wake up to the sound of a combine picking and shredding corn?
The story doesn't make sense.

It's a 2 day youth hunt. Michigan's hunting version of a participation trophy for kids.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shaman
Bucks will spend a great deal of time in standing corn. There is a tactic whereby a hunter can slip in with a bow and walk right up on them. The problem is what happens if you get lost. I never much liked the tactic, because visibility was about 10 feet at best. Once you're in, there are few directional cues. You can use a compass, a gps (nowadays), or listen for traffic on a nearby road. I much preferred to catch them going in or out, often using a small penninsula or other structure as a key. I can see where a 14 yr old got in, got turned around, and decided to take a nap before heading out.

LOL

Where do you come up with this fugking bullschit?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Bucks will spend a great deal of time in standing corn. There is a tactic whereby a hunter can slip in with a bow and walk right up on them. The problem is what happens if you get lost. I never much liked the tactic, because visibility was about 10 feet at best. Once you're in, there are few directional cues. You can use a compass, a gps (nowadays), or listen for traffic on a nearby road. I much preferred to catch them going in or out, often using a small penninsula or other structure as a key. I can see where a 14 yr old got in, got turned around, and decided to take a nap before heading out.

LOL

Outdoor Life????
"It happened to me" picture story next to the last page maybe?

I was gonna mention something.
But I'm a nicer user now.

I think?????

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
Deer season is open in Michigan? Bow hunting? But then, who bow hunts deer in a un picked corn field and then lays down for a nap and doesn't wake up to the sound of a combine picking and shredding corn?

May be some sort of early youth hunt.

You got it Gunner.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A very sad deal. I do understand the being in the corn though, as there is deer in there. I have sat in it many times, never fell asleep though, but the sound of the wind in the corn is therapeutic and some kids can sleep in a microsecond.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by troublesome82
A very sad deal. I do understand the being in the corn though, as there is deer in there. I have sat in it many times, never fell asleep though, but the sound of the wind in the corn is therapeutic and some kids can sleep in a microsecond.

Dunno if it was a factor but seems like most teenagers have earbuds/headphones nowadays. Heck, I've read of people getting hit by trains like that, and we had a kid in this town some years back run over by a car like that.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Man, if bullszchit were music.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50

LOL

Outdoor Life????

I think?????

I’ve tried walking for arrowheads in Willy’s graveyard spot while the corn is 6-7 ft tall

It was nearly impossible, constant mouthfuls and eyes fulls of spider webs, sharp edged floppy leaves in your face,making little paper cut sensations on my ears, that and Garnett sets his drills at about 28” width.

How in the fouck could you draw a bow, much less carry one around in that chit, THEN to be able sneak up on a deer in all that , or even to get kill shot? Spatially the alignment, the unimpeded path of your arrow, would have to be

Ah fouck it

Just ass shoot them with a 44 rem mag

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by slumlord

I’ve tried walking for arrowheads in Willy’s graveyard spot while the corn is 6-7 ft tall

It was nearly impossible, constant mouthfuls and eyes fulls of spider webs, sharp edged floppy leaves in your face,making little paper cut sensations on my ears, that and Garnett sets his drills at about 28” width.

How in the fouck could you draw a bow, much less carry one around in that chit, THEN to be able sneak up on a deer in all that , or even to get kill shot? Spatially the alignment, the unimpeded path of your arrow, would have to be

Ah fouck it

Don't forget your compass and/or GPS to navigate a fugking cornfield.

JFC.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by renegade50

LOL

Outdoor Life????

I think?????

Ah fouck it

While I can't speak for other areas, around here the corn right now is standing over 10'. With all the latest GPS on equipment these rows can be perfectly straight. Yes, it is a pita to get into it and walk without getting gnarly, but when one knows how to use it it is oftimes easier than walking the field edges which are planted right up to the fence and overgrown with burrdock, etc. Deer make a path through the corn, find it, sit downwind of it with a bow or gun and sometimes you have a shot. Kids do kids stuff, and I am just a 62 year old kid who likes to hunt.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
30 years ago you could bowhunt cornfields effectively but now the rows are planted much too closely together...at least in this part of the country.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by gunner500

May be some sort of early youth hunt.

You got it Gunner.

Lucky guess, sad deal all around.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by troublesome82

Dunno if it was a factor but seems like most teenagers have earbuds/headphones nowadays. Heck, I've read of people getting hit by trains like that, and we had a kid in this town some years back run over by a car like that.

Yep. That’s what I figured happened too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
30 years ago you could bowhunt cornfields effectively but now the rows are planted much too closely together...at least in this part of the country.

Same here, I am just across the river. I live on a farm, there is this one spot on this one field by a little swamp that always has this little open area where the corn has been decimated by coons and deer, about ten rows in from the field edge, it is a thoroughfare as the little water hole (on private property) is only 100 yards away. It is an ambush zone before the corn gets chopped or picked.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Didn't the Wensels show how to hunt standing corn way back on the video "Bowhunting October Whitetails" ?

Last edited by hookeye; 09/14/20.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yep, seems kinda odd to be bow hunting in standing corn. Little hard to get a clean shot. The whole thing sounds very sketchy. Prayers go out to the family and the poor kid that was driving the combine.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by hookeye
Didn't the Wensels show how to hunt standing corn way back on the video "Bowhunting October Whitetails" ?

Yeah that was a good vid.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In Idaho, a kid can hunt alone at 12. If accompanied by a licensed adult, they can hunt small game at 8 and big game at 10. I got my 1st deer at 13. I was alone but Dad was maybe 200 yds away.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
another fatality in the same area:

LiveWeatherElectionsCoronavirusSportsEmailsContestsMore
Expand / Collapse search
Boy, 11, shot and killed by stepfather during deer hunt in St. Clair County

CLAY TWP, Mich. (FOX 2) - An 11-year-old boy has died after he was shot by his stepfather while hunting deer on private property in Clay Township in St. Clair County.

The Clay Township Police Department said the shooting happened around 8 p.m. in the 6300 block of Benoit Road Sunday.

Clay Township Police said the 11-year-old was with his family in the woods, hunting for deer, when witnesses heard gunshots and saw the boy on the ground. The child had been hit by a round that was discharged by his 40-year-old stepfather.

According to police, the boy was being treated by family members when police arrived and CPR was being performed. While they were there, police said another gunshot went off.

Police said the child's mother had shot herself in the hand as she was trying to unload a gun and it mistakenly went off.

The boy was taken to McLaren Hospital Macomb where he was later pronounced dead.

His stepfather is currently in custody and the case is being reviewed by the St. Clair County Prosecutor's Office.

The boy is the second hunting-related death in eastern Michigan. On Saturday, a 14-year-old boy was killed when he apparently fell asleep in a cornfield and was run over by a harvester.

This past weekend was Michigan's Liberty Hunt, open specifically for minors and hunters with disabilities.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 2,864 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,734
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.