-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought those cheap 300 lumens flashlights and just put them everywhere, workshop, glove compartment, backpacks. I bet I have bought 20 of them and in 3 years only one has failed - and it works if I screw the cap on just right. Since they only take 1 AA battery and it lasts a long time, they are a great bargain.

Gave one to my Mom and then she bought them for everyone she knew.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Streamlight ProTac HL 3 - 1,100 Lumen

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
I bought those cheap 300 lumens flashlights and just put them everywhere, workshop, glove compartment, backpacks. I bet I have bought 20 of them and in 3 years only one has failed - and it works if I screw the cap on just right. Since they only take 1 AA battery and it lasts a long time, they are a great bargain.

That's exactly my point. A $40 light doesn't help if it's at home and you aren't. These cheap ones last a long time and at that price, you can have one anywhere you might possibly need one.

Back to the batteries...who makes Costco's Kirklands? I've used quite a few of them and have no corrosion problems at all.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Walmart has $1 cap lights and Headband lights that work great for the cost.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Walmart has $1 cap lights and Headband lights that work great for the cost.
Do you have a link for that? I couln't find a cap light for less than $6 and it had cheap plastic clips that are sure to break in cold weather.

― George Orwell

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by joken2

I picked up one of these rechargeable LED flashlights a couple of weeks ago on clearance for $10 at Walmart. Besides a flashlight it can used to recharge cell phones, tablets, etc. So far -- so good...

https://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Flashlight-Rechargeable-Waterproof-Emergency/dp/B07NJJ4RG3

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Smart...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Menards gives birthday gifts. I think a light is around here somewhere, it works.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5sdad
A cheap light that works is far better than an expensive one that doesn't work when you want it to because it got pissed off at you for ignoring it and decided to get back at you by corroding the batteries (IE Maglite).

Lol, quit using Duracell batteries.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by leesway2
I have several lights that wont work any more from corrosin and every one had duracell batt in them. I pulled all 10 of my game cams last year due to clear cutting and 5 are toast from duracell batts. Before we go on a track at night I always have 2 get me out of the woods lights just in case, I will deff look at getting those,light is a good thing.

If you look about on the web you will find It's not uncommon, Duracell has a problem.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
Interesting thread. The only batteries I've ever had leak are energizers- two incidences. Duracell has never been an issue. Energizer did reimburse me for tbe leakage. One was a high dollar black diamond headlamp.

As to lights, I have an Ozark Trail torch from the Walmart that has been outstanding. Don't remember the price, but it was cheap. It lives in the side tool pocket of my Carhartts.

l usually pick up a whole bunch of batteries every year or so. When I head out to go hunting or fishing or whatever I will change out to fresh batteries... and toss the used ones in a tupperware. Then sometime during the winter when I'm bored I will voltage check all of the batteries in the Tupperware. Anything below 1.58 I toss.

Anything above 1.63 I put back in the new pile.

Anything in between goes in TV remotes or whatever the kids might need batteries for.

I use new lithium batteries in my battery powered beard trimmer. They start out about 1.7 volts and the motor runs extra fast so I pull out less hair and therefore curse far less.

My speculation is that 100% of all alkaline batteries are made in China or some other third world s*******. I also speculate batteries cost about a dime apiece to make.

IMHO all batteries are virtually the same.

Surprisingly, Harbor Freight batteries have a slightly higher initial voltage.

The problem is if a Harbor Freight battery blows up in your $50 flashlight you are SOL, but if a Duracell battery blows up... Duracell will send you a voucher and free batteries.

So basically the only thing you're paying for with Duracell or Energizer is good will and a modicum of assurance to guarantee.

Last edited by CashisKing; 09/15/20. Reason: Southern accent voice to text typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LED Lenser TT model flashlight. Less than 30 bucks (closer to 25). Compact and bright. I have 3 and will be getting more. One of them is 3 years old and still works flawlessly.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Something has changed at Duracell. I always bought them because they never leaked, but now they do. I’m not risking an expensive game cam, flashlight or radio leaving them in for very long. Walmart has $1.00 little plastic ones that take three AAA batteries that are included.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My speculation is that 100% of all alkaline batteries are made in China or some other third world s******
Guess what country has the world's lithium supply locked up.

― George Orwell

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
For situations where I do not use a flash light immediately, I carry the batteries in a separate container. Seems I always forget to change out the batteries.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I've got one G2x Pro with dual output 600 lumen Max, and one G2X Tactical single output 600 lumen Max (I believe).

I'm a flashlight nerd and these are awesome flashlights. I use them all the time and probably dropped the first one 5 or 6 times.

Me too. At least I used to be. But now finding myself wanting to upgrade again. A bright lightweight reliable torch like that sounds ideal for backpacking and self defense. There's big ones that are good impact weapons too, but it's better to have a little bright one in hand than a big one back at the car.
I might get one.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
I've got one G2x Pro with dual output 600 lumen Max, and one G2X Tactical single output 600 lumen Max (I believe).

I'm a flashlight nerd and these are awesome flashlights. I use them all the time and probably dropped the first one 5 or 6 times.

Me too. At least I used to be. But now finding myself wanting to upgrade again. A bright lightweight reliable torch like that sounds ideal for backpacking and self defense. There's big ones that are good impact weapons too, but it's better to have a little bright one in hand than a big one back at the car.
I might get one.
LIke I said in the OP, these won't replace your primary light. They're to have a light anywhere you're likely to be if you need it. If nothing else, have you ever tried to change batteries or a bulb in the dark on a mountain side with cold wet hands without having a small extra light to see what you're doing?

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by KFWA

That's exactly my point. A $40 light doesn't help if it's at home and you aren't. These cheap ones last a long time and at that price, you can have one anywhere you might possibly need one.

Back to the batteries...who makes Costco's Kirklands? I've used quite a few of them and have no corrosion problems at all.

The Little-Known Secret Behind Costco's Kirkland Batteries

[Reader's Digest]
Morgan Cutolo
Reader's DigestJune 17, 2019

Costco is the perfect one-stop shop for most of the items on your grocery list. One of the tips frequent Costco shoppers will give you is that the stores signature brand, Kirkland, is one of the best and is pretty much always a great deal. A Kirkland item you should definitely stock up on the next time you’re there is the Kirkland batteries.

Many people are hesitant to buy knock-off or store brand batteries because they never seem to last as long as the big-name brands like Energizer or Duracell. Well, that won’t be the case with Kirkland batteries, because they’re actually made by Duracell. Costco’s CEO, Craig Jelinek, revealed that little-known secret in an interview.

They’re a pretty good deal too. A 72-pack of AA Kirkland batteries is $19.99 (or 28 cents a battery), whereas a 40 pack of AA Duracell batteries at Costco is $16.99 (or 42 cents a battery). While you’re at the store, make sure you also buy these other reliable Kirkland brand items you should always buy at Costco.

You can get the name brand, but at a wholesale price and your flashlights, toys, or wireless mouse will have long battery life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

I might get one.
LIke I said in the OP, these won't replace your primary light. They're to have a light anywhere you're likely to be if you need it. If nothing else, have you ever tried to change batteries or a bulb in the dark on a mountain side with cold wet hands without having a small extra light to see what you're doing?

I've never had to change a bulb. That would be a challenge. Today's leds are fortunately more forgiving to drops. Caves are a fun place to change batteries.

Nothing against your new set. I'm with you there.
I got sidetracked on the primary.
They're both essential and have their roles.
I've got a handful of tiny Big lots specials that should be replaced with the kootek if I get around to finding a debit card that doesn't require SS # or bank account.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My speculation is that 100% of all alkaline batteries are made in China or some other third world s******
Guess what country has the world's lithium supply locked up.

I hear you...

I read an article about a year ago about some new age battery to replace lithium-ion. Apparently it was some type of salt water battery. High technology but low resource acquisition.

Mostly I was chasing it as a stock investment and did not pursue it much more beyond that.

Nothing would make me happier then to see China suck hind tit acquiring lithium-ion and then watching all of that effort become obsolete with something as basic as a saltwater battery.

China is a huge enemy to America and very few people even know it.

MAGA 2020

KAG 2020

DJT Junior 2024-2028

Last edited by CashisKing; 09/15/20. Reason: Southern accent voice to text typos

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a handful of tiny Big lots specials that should be replaced with the kootek if I get around to finding a debit card that doesn't require SS # or bank account.
Um, that's the purpose of a debit card - to make access to your bank account easier. It's like carrying a plastic check book. If you don't have a bank account, where would the money come from?

― George Orwell

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.