Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have turret presses, single stage presses and progressive presses.

My progressives are for handgun ammo using carbide dies.

So what’s the scoop when loading bottle necked cartridges on a progressive.
Lube, size and load, then how do you remove the lube.

I load my 223 on my turret press right now. I lube, size, then tumble the lube off. Then continue the loading process.

Last edited by steve4102; 09/16/20.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Try the Lee Resizing Lube, It's a wax.

I empty the container into a spray bottle with a pint of isopropyl alcohol, shake it real good before use and spray it on the brass making sure you get some on the inside of the mouth of the case, let it dry and just the wax is left behind.

After sizing you can just wipe the wax off.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wiping down 1+K loaded rounds doesn’t sound like a good time to me.

Ever try tumbling the wax off.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A friend of mine dumps his loaded rounds from a Dillon into a vibratory tumbler for a few minutes to remove the case lube, one shot in his case.. He shoots a lot of 3 gun etc. no probs.

It still makes me cringe. Is that changing the size of the powder granules? I really don't like tumbling loaded rounds. ????

My solution is to size, deprime, & tumble. Then run the stuff through the progressive with a decapper at first station to knock out the media from the flash hole. If I had to do this with thousands of rounds it might work out. But need a powder cop die, etc. etc.

Even for a 500 at a time, I went back to single stage. Maybe I'm old school & missing something ???

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Try the Lee Resizing Lube, It's a wax.

I empty the container into a spray bottle with a pint of isopropyl alcohol, shake it real good before use and spray it on the brass making sure you get some on the inside of the mouth of the case, let it dry and just the wax is left behind.

After sizing you can just wipe the wax off.

Since the wax is soluble in alcohol, couldn't the finished rounds be washed off with alcohol as well?? Everything should be sealed up and the exposure to alcohol would be short as long as you don't let it just set and soak ? Reuse the waxy alcohol to make more spray lube. I guess I should try it sometime to find out.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ever think about the trucks and the roads bringing your rounds to market jostling the fire out of them, (pun intended), or the places flying them to theater, vibratory is fine...

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I process rifle brass first then load. The .223 is prepped on a pass through a 1050 then the bulk stuff loaded on the same press. Much smother press operation. Mostly use the same processed brass for Bolt gun but load most of that on a old PW Met2.
Tumble the lube off with cob treated with about a thimble full of mineral spirits. Tried rolling them around in a towel moist with alcohol but it was just easier to throw them in one of the tumblers while I did something else.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by steve4102
Wiping down 1+K loaded rounds doesn’t sound like a good time to me.

Ever try tumbling the wax off.

Most times I don't wipe any of it off, it's such a minuscule amount it doesn't matter.

I have a bunch loaded up, I'll go take a picture.

Last edited by 12344mag; 09/16/20.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I throw them in a box and hit the loaded rounds with a shot of electric parts cleaner. Works well, they dry fast, and I’ve never had a problem with it - as long as you do it outside.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by steve4102
I have turret presses, single stage presses and progressive presses.

My progressives are for handgun ammo using carbide dies.

So what’s the scoop when loading bottle necked cartridges on a progressive.
Lube, size and load, then how do you remove the lube.

I load my 223 on my turret press right now. I lube, size, then tumble the lube off. Then continue the loading process.

Best thing to do is to try not to load any of that shixt and stick with straight revolver cartridges and the aforementioned carbide dies. I don't mind loading for most cartridges, but loading for high-volume semi-auto cartridges is a pita.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You can see a little white dust on a couple of them in my hand but it's no big deal to me and yes you could tumble it off. The wax will separate from the alcohol if it sits for a bit you just have to shake it up before you spray it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hornady One Shot and Dillon Carbide dies if I'm only making a single pass.

Most of my loads I run through twice these days as I'm chasing the precision dragon.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tumble clean and lube with Hornady One Shot. Size and decap on the Rock Chucker that has the old time case kicker on it so it goes pretty fast. Back in the walnut for an hour to remove the lube and only then they go to the 550 for priming and loading.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Call me number 3 for Hornady One Shot.

I use a Hornady LnL 5 position progressive. I don't even go as far as decapping first... I just tumble, One Shot, and load.

I've compared my progressive loads vs my painstaking single stage, individually weighed powder, concentricity tooled, weight separated, uniformed primer pocket, flash hole uniformed, trimmed, deburred, Lapua brass loads, and up to 400 yards, I can't tell a difference... So I don't worry about it anymore.

Over the years, all of my 3000+ 223 brass has had PP's and flash holes uniformed, so there's that... Any more I only separate by headstamp (ie. LC, Lapua, Winchester)

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gunzo
A friend of mine dumps his loaded rounds from a Dillon into a vibratory tumbler for a few minutes to remove the case lube, one shot in his case.. He shoots a lot of 3 gun etc. no probs.

It still makes me cringe. Is that changing the size of the powder granules? I really don't like tumbling loaded rounds. ????

Never hurt a thing

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Neck size only.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Lee Collet Neck Die and 223? If so, I'm in.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Neck size only.

Not going to work for semi-auto ammo.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Lee Collet Neck Die and 223? If so, I'm in.

Won’t work on a progressive.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 12344mag
You can see a little white dust on a couple of them in my hand but it's no big deal to me and yes you could tumble it off. The wax will separate from the alcohol if it sits for a bit you just have to shake it up before you spray it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks

Do I see the Lee Factory Crimp die .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 54 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,653
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.