Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by dodge268
I don;t feel attacked or insulted. I just don't understand why people don't get that you have to work inside the system. What my ideals are are different from the reality where I live. I wish everything was as cut and dried as it seems in the internet world where you live. I do what I can where I can and try to live with the rest.
Patrick

It not only makes sense, it’s the only way to keep going long term.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by dodge268
I don;t feel attacked or insulted. I just don't understand why people don't get that you have to work inside the system. What my ideals are are different from the reality where I live. I wish everything was as cut and dried as it seems in the internet world where you live. I do what I can where I can and try to live with the rest.
Patrick

It not only makes sense, it’s the only way to keep going long term.

Indeed

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Or just your local cop you don't want to enforce the law your elected government passed?

That's a big part of the problem.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I don't think it's just blacks, but scumbags of all sorts and those that have allowed the downplay of serious crimes and over-criminaization of chit that is not actually felony level.

No,

it's just the blecks.

Well, maybe some of them Latinos too.

And a few of them Asian gangsters.

And the white trash tweakers. That goes without saying.

Carpe' Scrotum
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Tweak definitely has been a factor. (meth)

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a good friend that had a serious drug problem (since put behind him). Smoking coke. He was at the bottom and really in crisis. He called the cops, mainly to prevent himself blowing his brains out. They arrested him for possession.

Now he wasn't selling it and wasn't hurting anyone but himself.

Perhaps a bit of 'discretion' was in order.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Tweak definitely has been a factor. (meth)

Originally Posted by Steve
And the white trash tweakers. That goes without saying.

No, campfire consensus is it's all the blacks fault........all of society's woes.

If it weren't for the blacks taking all those "fair hiring practices" jobs, those tweakers would have been able to have nice jobs, a good self image, and there would be no need for them to do meth.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The whole law and order issue has been corrupted by elected officials, judges, lawyers, and law enforcement officers. Many laws are passed with the sole intent of generating revenue under the pretext of public safety. Then there are unenforceable laws that are passed with the intent of being additional charges added on to the orginal crime in the hope something will stick. There are so many laws you cannot go through a day without breaking a law of some kind.
I generally have no problem with how the police deal with violent criminals who present a threat to the officer or others. They have to make split second decisions that often involve life or death. If you don't want to deal with law enforcement at this level then do not commit serious crimes. I do have a problem with late night and early morning raids especially when they get the wrong address.
My main problem with law enforcement is over zealous enforcement of bull schidt revenue generating laws. Driving alone and not wearing a seat belt is a personal decision. Going 10 or even 20 miles per hour over the speed limit when there is no one else on the road endangers nobody. Not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is a personal choice. Yes, I think officers need to have more disgression when it comes to enforcing these type laws, especially when arresting someone and creating a police record has the potential to seriously affect their life and livliehood.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How about a discussion about law enforcement that doesn't descend to insults and slurs.

I'm posing a simple question.

Do you want cops to be able to pick and choose which laws they enforce?

With the caveat of officer discretion set aside. For example, giving a verbal warning for a traffic infraction.

In the real world there’s no perfect answer. Do you handcuff good cops and not allow common sense/discretion. Or do you work to the lowest common denominator of incompetent or dirty cop and make them robots? The same concept applies to judges do you give them leeway when giving a sentence based on individuals or due you have exact mandated sentences with no leeway for individual cases.

Either way in an imperfect world full of imperfect people there’s going to be mistakes and miscarriages of justice. Overall most police are pretty decent reasonable people in my experience and the public is best served with cameras on every officer and then granting them some discretion.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
No!

I also don't want choke holds, neck kneeling, OC, batons, or no knock warrants banned.

They all can be a big problem improperly used, but so can case, guns, flashlights,
hands or feet.

The more tools one has to work with, the better they can work.
However, they need to be accountable for the use of those tools.

And the warrants should probably more rare.

👍
Blanket restrictions or prohibitions on the use of choke holds, neck kneeling, OC, etc only increases the likelihood that lethal force will be used.
Properly used, those tools saves lives.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B

How does one limit lack of smarts in officer discretion? Have them enforce the law stringently every time?

That'd be a screening and training process that would probably cut down the viable applicants to unsustainable levels, even before this current nonsense.

Originally Posted by gregintenn
I don’t particularly care for law enforcement as a group, but I don’t see any way a policeman could make the public happy right now. I also don’t see what would draw anyone to that career at this time.

I’d bet in the next 10-20 years you.’lol see some real losers wearing badges. I sure wouldn’t want to do it.

Ask any cop you don't hate that has kids and ask them if they would encourage their kids into that line of work. Then ask them if they would've gotten the same advice.

If it's bad now, with heavy handed or asswhole cops, like you said give it 10-20 years. Once the new hires promote up it's going to be bad beyond belief.

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a good friend that had a serious drug problem (since put behind him). Smoking coke. He was at the bottom and really in crisis. He called the cops, mainly to prevent himself blowing his brains out. They arrested him for possession.

Did the arrest mount to much time? Judge sentence him to rehab maybe? Unfortunately for him, good possibility he has a felony on his record though. But, it sounds like it saved his life also.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

How does one limit lack of smarts in officer discretion? Have them enforce the law stringently every time?

That'd be a screening and training process that would probably cut down the viable applicants to unsustainable levels, even before this current nonsense.

Yeah, that type A personality has some good qualities for being a cop, but it's kind of like the "pit bull" problem...........they're good for the job until they're not.

Weeding out the wrong ones would cost the taxpayers too much money too. And no one wants to pay taxes, or more than they already pay.

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 45_100
The whole law and order issue has been corrupted by elected officials, judges, lawyers, and law enforcement officers. Many laws are passed with the sole intent of generating revenue under the pretext of public safety. Then there are unenforceable laws that are passed with the intent of being additional charges added on to the orginal crime in the hope something will stick. There are so many laws you cannot go through a day without breaking a law of some kind.

I completely agree. There’s a lot of people that still think a plea bargain is a prosecutor letting a criminal off easy. The reality is the prosecutor has all of the power and is free to overcharge and also to basically charge someone several times for the same crime. One example is “using a computer in the commission of a crime” what difference does it make if a computer was used or not. Charge them for the crime committed. A “hate crimes” and on and on.
It’s a tool for the prosecutor to overcharge and multiple charge while at the same time having nothing to lose. It’s the person being charged looking at years in jail the prosecutor gets paid either way and never loses a dime. So they’re free to charge through the nose and if they lose so what. The person being overcharged is almost forced to take a plea or go bankrupt fighting a serious charge if they win and prison if they lose.

Last edited by TheLastLemming76; 09/16/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Did the arrest mount to much time? Judge sentence him to rehab maybe? Unfortunately for him, good possibility he has a felony on his record though. But, it sounds like it saved his life also.

No. Took a life changing accident to do that. Not drug related. No time. The conviction was expunged, I believe.

Carpe' Scrotum
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B

Yeah, that type A personality has some good qualities for being a cop, but it's kind of like the "pit bull" problem...........they're good for the job until they're not.

Weeding out the wrong ones would cost the taxpayers too much money too. And no one wants to pay taxes, or more than they already pay.

And here we sit.......

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, seems someone was looking out for him, one way or another.

Glad he's off the "stuff" now.

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about a discussion about law enforcement that doesn't descend to insults and slurs.

With the caveat of officer discretion set aside. For example, giving a verbal warning for a traffic infraction.

I would save money and eliminate police departments especially in small communities. You could do what Communists did after the war to protect citizens. Every so often on regular basis each able-bodied member of village in small group would have to patrol area to prevent problems and issues. With everyone in countryside armed to teeth why do you need police force in the first place? It is just like with subsidizing huge military apparatus with tax based money and zero probability of invasion from foreign sources. The Chinese are doing very good business w/o having military bases where they conduct economic ventures indicating that this can actually be done.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't wait to see the replies to THAT post Slavek crazy

In it is contentment

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Slavek

I would save money and eliminate police departments especially in small communities. You could do what Communists did after the war to protect citizens. Every so often on regular basis each able-bodied member of village in small group would have to patrol area to prevent problems and issues. With everyone in countryside armed to teeth why do you need police force in the first place? It is just like with subsidizing huge military apparatus with tax based money and zero probability of invasion from foreign sources. The Chinese are doing very good business w/o having military bases where they conduct economic ventures indicating that this can actually be done.

How do they do it in your country?

MAGA
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 22250rem, 51 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,917
Posts18,518,756
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.