Hop To
Page 27 of 40 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 39 40
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I've seen the NE mountains, including New England. Quaint towns and gorgeous forests, but not what I'd refer to as up, down, up ,down up, down..

Other than what the women do, of course.

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ God damn er Ted!!!Haha

Holy Christ, that was good to go. I just spit a little coffee..

Don't take BH's assessment of all of us NE hunters, we do okay in the NE and the west as well grin

NY

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Wyoming

Last edited by beretzs; 09/17/20.

Semper Fi
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I've seen the NE mountains, including New England. Quaint towns and gorgeous forests, but not what I'd refer to as up, down, up ,down up, down..

Other than what the women do, of course.

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ God damn er Ted!!!Haha

Holy Christ, that was good to go. I just spit a little coffee..

Don't take BH's assessment of all of us NE hunters, we do okay in the NE and the west as well grin

NY

Wyoming

Oh really, what's my assessment of all Northeast hunters ? I don't recall giving one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tag for scopes are fun to fight about...šŸ˜Ž

Zeiss anyone?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Suffering a Leupold VX5

Nikon Monarch swingers here? Didnā€™t think so...Varmint gun, so who cares.

Steelhead drying before getting a smoke bath....Sorry, wrong thread.

Iā€™ve been lucky so far with these scopes on varmint rigs. At least getting sighted in. Only had to ā€œknockā€ each scope 3x to hit paper.

The heavens opened, showed me my sin and pointed me towards these.

And these....

ā€œKaPowā€ - Kung Pow Chicken

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Oh really, what's my assessment of all Northeast hunters ? I don't recall giving one.

Itā€™s pretty easy to see BH, you think if folks donā€™t see things the way you see it theyā€™re doing something wrong and itā€™s somehow not hunting in your narrow scope of the world. Many folks learn to hunt multiple different ways and adapt to the situation. You assume that since many folks that take longer shots than what you do in your little corner of the world they donā€™t know what theyā€™re doing or know how to hunt.

You asked what the cut off for LR was and it was probably boring or somehow unsporting to shoot at an animal further than what you typically do. Thatā€™s a pretty broad brush of nonsense. Just because you choose to hunt deer in the woods and like to still hunt around doesnā€™t mean most of the folks that know how to track, stalk and shoot couldnā€™t do it in the Adirondacks or any other hunting ground anywhere.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Tag for scopes are fun to fight about...šŸ˜Ž

Zeiss anyone?

Suffering a Leupold VX5

Nikon Monarch swingers here? Didnā€™t think so...Varmint gun, so who cares.

Steelhead drying before getting a smoke bath....Sorry, wrong thread.

Iā€™ve been lucky so far with these scopes on varmint rigs. At least getting sighted in. Only had to ā€œknockā€ each scope 3x to hit paper.

The heavens opened, showed me my sin and pointed me towards these.

And these....

ā€œKaPowā€ - Kung Pow Chicken

Well placed Beav grin

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Itā€™s pretty easy to see BH, you think if folks donā€™t see things the way you see it theyā€™re doing something wrong and itā€™s somehow not hunting in your narrow scope of the world. Many folks learn to hunt multiple different ways and adapt to the situation. You assume that since many folks that take longer shots than what you do in your little corner of the world they donā€™t know what theyā€™re doing or know how to hunt.

You asked what the cut off for LR was and it was probably boring or somehow unsporting to shoot at an animal further than what you typically do. Thatā€™s a pretty broad brush of nonsense. Just because you choose to hunt deer in the woods and like to still hunt around doesnā€™t mean most of the folks that know how to track, stalk and shoot couldnā€™t do it in the Adirondacks or any other hunting ground anywhere.
I have taken game in the open at several hundred yards distance in the past. I don't find it terribly exciting. The further away you are from game, the less likelihood of detection, that's pretty simple and universal. Many here assume if we use the wrong scope or choose not to shoot at long distance that we are not good marksmen. In fact , over and over we've seen the optics geeks say anybody who doesn't use XYZ scope simply isn't a good enough shot to know if their scope holds zero or not. Nothing could be further from the truth.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
And to think...
We used to have fun with a Bausch and Lomb 10X and a Winchester Stealth.....
No laser rangefinders...

Times do change.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I have taken game in the open at several hundred yards distance in the past. I don't find it terribly exciting. The further away you are from game, the less likelihood of detection, that's pretty simple and universal. Many here assume if we use the wrong scope or choose not to shoot at long distance that we are not good marksmen. In fact , over and over we've seen the optics geeks say anybody who doesn't use XYZ scope simply isn't a good enough shot to know if their scope holds zero or not. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Id agree with that and typically I donā€™t care what others say about my gear. If it works for me, I run it. The only way I know what they do is to shoot em and test them. If they crap out I fix and sell em, if they work, I run em.

And I totally understand if shooting at longer range of a couple hundred yards at animals doesnā€™t excite you, the cool thing is we all get to pick when and how we wanna take the shot. I just donā€™t prescribe to putting whatā€™s cool for me on the next person and saying itā€™s isnā€™t exciting or they could do it better my way.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Id agree with that and typically I donā€™t care what others say about my gear. If it works for me, I run it. The only way I know what they do is to shoot em and test them. If they crap out I fix and sell em, if they work, I run em.

And I totally understand if shooting at longer range of a couple hundred yards at animals doesnā€™t excite you, the cool thing is we all get to pick when and how we wanna take the shot. I just donā€™t prescribe to putting whatā€™s cool for me on the next person and saying itā€™s isnā€™t exciting or they could do it better my way.
Point of fact I have killed deer in excess of 400 yards with a scoped rifle and in excess of 300 yards with iron sights. A feat requiring more in shooting than hunting skill. I am not particularly proud of those kills. Certainly much less than the ones taken from their beds unaware at close range.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For sure. No point in shooting them unless youā€™ll have some excitement or point of the hunt. I get that.

My point is I donā€™t wanna crap on someone elseā€™s hunt. We should back each otherā€™s play as long as itā€™s legal take.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IThe further away you are from game, the less likelihood of detection, that's pretty simple and universal. Many here assume if we use the wrong scope or choose not to shoot at long distance that we are not good marksmen. In fact , over and over we've seen the optics geeks say anybody who doesn't use XYZ scope simply isn't a good enough shot to know if their scope holds zero or not. Nothing could be further from the truth.

That's simply not correct, & no one has said anything close to that, but you.

In densely covered areas, yes, it's easier for a good hunter to get closer to game in the east or in the west.

What you just don't seem to get is that in the west, in more open or fully open areas, game spots you at much, much longer distances.

It's not a matter of being a better hunter in either scenario, it's a matter of circumstances dictating how you hunt & at what distances shots may need to be made..................or no shot at all, maybe on a book head or a once in a lifetime ram or.............................

Especially if you are hunting for a trophy, & fully mature animal, not an immature 1 1/2 year old.

The more you yap the more you simply discredit yourself.

MM

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
For sure. No point in shooting them unless youā€™ll have some excitement or point of the hunt. I get that.

My point is I donā€™t wanna crap on someone elseā€™s hunt. We should back each otherā€™s play as long as itā€™s legal take.
Watch Burns's video of the buck he killed at 760 yards. Three people talking in a normal voice and the buck doesn't even look their way. Yeah, required much stealth and hunting skill. That buck was super alert and was gonna bust those sneaky bastards any second. LMAO

Long range target practice at a live target.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

IThe further away you are from game, the less likelihood of detection, that's pretty simple and universal. Many here assume if we use the wrong scope or choose not to shoot at long distance that we are not good marksmen. In fact , over and over we've seen the optics geeks say anybody who doesn't use XYZ scope simply isn't a good enough shot to know if their scope holds zero or not. Nothing could be further from the truth.

That's simply not correct, & no one has said anything close to that, but you.

In densely covered areas, yes, it's easier for a good hunter to get closer to game in the east or in the west.

What you just don't seem to get is that in the west, in more open or fully open areas, game spots you at much, much longer distances.

It's not a matter of being a better hunter in either scenario, it's a matter of circumstances dictating how you hunt & at what distances shots may need to be made..................or no shot at all, maybe on a book head or a once in a lifetime ram or.............................

Especially if you are hunting for a trophy, & fully mature animal, not an immature 1 1/2 year old.

The more you yap the more you simply discredit yourself.

MM
Bullshyt, you're either lying or stupid. Which is it ?

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Blackie, your one sided opinion is well documented ad nauseum and everyone else's idea of hunting is less superior to yours. And your chosen place to hunt is the most challenging area on planet earth.

We get it already. Throttle back. I know it's hard for you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Watch Burns's video of the buck he killed at 760 yards. Three people talking in a normal voice and the buck doesn't even look their way. Yeah, required much stealth and hunting skill. That buck was super alert and was gonna bust those sneaky bastards any second. LMAO

Do you have a link? I have noticed in these long distance shots that there is often a gorge with steep walls between the shooter and the animal. The instant you take a few steps from the would be shooting position, you lose sight of the animal. Picking steps carefully in rocky terrain is time consuming. Climbing up through chest high vegetation, you can't see anything 20 yards in front of you. You may in fact have to hike around and past where the animal was last seen in order to get it into your field of view. You know what I am talking about if you have ever hunted wide open mountain country.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 09/17/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And she continues to whine as the sand scrubs her mangina..............................another k-unty window licker playing out her only move left.

The only bull-schitter here is you; I won't call you a liar, just narrow minded as in being able to look through a keyhole with both eyes.

Laughin' here.

MM

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I hear visibility in Washington is about 100 yards due to the smoke. Thats perfect Leupold conditions.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
And she continues to whine as the sand scrubs her mangina..............................another k-unty window licker playing out her only move left.

The only bull-schitter here is you; I won't call you a liar, just narrow minded as in being able to look through a keyhole with both eyes.

Laughin' here.

MM

My last post to you was in reference to your first statement in that post. You are either full of shyt or stupid/unobservant if you think that is true.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Do you have a link? I have noticed in these long distance shots that there is often a gorge with steep walls between the shooter and the animal. The instant you take a few steps from the would be shooting position, you lose sight of the animal. Picking steps carefully in rocky terrain is time consuming. Climbing up through chest high vegetation, you can't see anything 20 yards in front of you. You may in fact have to hike around and past where the animal was last seen in order to get it into your field of view. You know what I am talking about if you have ever hunted wide open mountain country.
Geesus he posted a link to that video in this thread. Pay attention.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I hear visibility in Washington is about 100 yards due to the smoke. Thats perfect Leupold conditions.

šŸ–•šŸæšŸ˜†šŸ¤£

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, Iā€™d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ainā€™t easy havin pals.
Page 27 of 40 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.