-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 40 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 39 40
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BH, my last word on the matter to you is simply GFY.

You have no clue.

MM

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

IThe further away you are from game, the less likelihood of detection, that's pretty simple and universal. Many here assume if we use the wrong scope or choose not to shoot at long distance that we are not good marksmen. In fact , over and over we've seen the optics geeks say anybody who doesn't use XYZ scope simply isn't a good enough shot to know if their scope holds zero or not. Nothing could be further from the truth.

That's simply not correct, & no one has said anything close to that, but you.

In densely covered areas, yes, it's easier for a good hunter to get closer to game in the east or in the west.

What you just don't seem to get is that in the west, in more open or fully open areas, game spots you at much, much longer distances.

It's not a matter of being a better hunter in either scenario, it's a matter of circumstances dictating how you hunt & at what distances shots may need to be made..................or no shot at all, maybe on a book head or a once in a lifetime ram or.............................

Especially if you are hunting for a trophy, & fully mature animal, not an immature 1 1/2 year old.

The more you yap the more you simply discredit yourself.

MM
Bullshyt, you're either lying or stupid. Which is it ?

Blackheart you are just wrong on this. I grew hunting black tail deer and my longest shot for years was just over 100 yards. When I started hunting Idaho and Nevada in many places there was no cover no way to get close. I have let a lot a deer walk because I couldn’t get within comfortable range at the time There are many different ways to hunt and take game. Your myopia is telling.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Slut

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by beretzs
For sure. No point in shooting them unless you’ll have some excitement or point of the hunt. I get that.

My point is I don’t wanna crap on someone else’s hunt. We should back each other’s play as long as it’s legal take.
Watch Burns's video of the buck he killed at 760 yards. Three people talking in a normal voice and the buck doesn't even look their way. Yeah, required much stealth and hunting skill. That buck was super alert and was gonna bust those sneaky bastards any second. LMAO

Long range target practice at a live target.

Do you have a link? I have noticed in these long distance shots that there is often a gorge with steep walls between the shooter and the animal. The instant you take a few steps from the would be shooting position, you lose sight of the animal. Picking steps carefully in rocky terrain is time consuming. Climbing up through chest high vegetation, you can't see anything 20 yards in front of you. You may in fact have to hike around and past where the animal was last seen in order to get it into your field of view. You know what I am talking about if you have ever hunted wide open mountain country.
Geesus he posted a link to that video in this thread. Pay attention.

Every video in this thread that I have watched has shown substantial obstacles between the shooter and the target. If you had ever hunted open mountain terrain, you'd know that you have to take the shots the terrain and the time gives you. Walking closer to the animal isn't always an option. It's not like he's seeing animals at 200 yards and walking further away just to try to notch a long distance kill. I'll let him tell you this, but I suspect that he'll tell you that before he takes any long distance shots he evaluates whether or not the terrain will let him get closer in a timely manner. It's a matter of either not taking the shots at all or taking them shots at distances your skill level won't allow you to. There may be no feasible in between.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Springcove

IThe further away you are from game, the less likelihood of detection, that's pretty simple and universal. Many here assume if we use the wrong scope or choose not to shoot at long distance that we are not good marksmen. In fact , over and over we've seen the optics geeks say anybody who doesn't use XYZ scope simply isn't a good enough shot to know if their scope holds zero or not. Nothing could be further from the truth.

That's simply not correct, & no one has said anything close to that, but you.

In densely covered areas, yes, it's easier for a good hunter to get closer to game in the east or in the west.

What you just don't seem to get is that in the west, in more open or fully open areas, game spots you at much, much longer distances.

It's not a matter of being a better hunter in either scenario, it's a matter of circumstances dictating how you hunt & at what distances shots may need to be made..................or no shot at all, maybe on a book head or a once in a lifetime ram or.............................

Especially if you are hunting for a trophy, & fully mature animal, not an immature 1 1/2 year old.

The more you yap the more you simply discredit yourself.

MM
Bullshyt, you're either lying or stupid. Which is it ?

Blackheart you are just wrong on this. I grew hunting black tail deer and my longest shot for years was just over 100 yards. When I started hunting Idaho and Nevada in many places there was no cover no way to get close. I have let a lot a deer walk because I couldn’t get within comfortable range at the time There are many different ways to hunt and take game. Your myopia is telling.
That's hunting. You ain't supposed to be able to kill every animal you see. The quarry is supposed to have a sporting chance of detecting danger and making an escape. How did they ever manage to get it done before the advent of rangefinders ? Folks today want to make everything as easy as possible, replacing skill and work with gadgetry.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
For sure. No point in shooting them unless you’ll have some excitement or point of the hunt. I get that.

My point is I don’t wanna crap on someone else’s hunt. We should back each other’s play as long as it’s legal take.
Watch Burns's video of the buck he killed at 760 yards. Three people talking in a normal voice and the buck doesn't even look their way. Yeah, required much stealth and hunting skill. That buck was super alert and was gonna bust those sneaky bastards any second. LMAO

Do you have a link? I have noticed in these long distance shots that there is often a gorge with steep walls between the shooter and the animal. The instant you take a few steps from the would be shooting position, you lose sight of the animal. Picking steps carefully in rocky terrain is time consuming. Climbing up through chest high vegetation, you can't see anything 20 yards in front of you. You may in fact have to hike around and past where the animal was last seen in order to get it into your field of view. You know what I am talking about if you have ever hunted wide open mountain country.

Every video in this thread that I have watched has shown substantial obstacles between the shooter and the target. If you had ever hunted open mountain terrain, you'd know that you have to take the shots the terrain and the time gives you. Walking closer to the animal isn't always an option. It's not like he's seeing animals at 200 yards and walking further away just to try to notch a long distance kill. I'll let him tell you this, but I suspect that he'll tell you that before he takes any long distance shots he evaluates whether or not the terrain will let him get closer in a timely manner. It's a matter of either not taking the shots at all or taking them shots at distances your skill level won't allow you to. There may be no feasible in between.
Again, you ain't supposed to be able to kill every animal you see. See my post above for more on that. Do you people have any limits on sportsmanship or ethics at all ? If shooting animals from 5 miles away were possible, would that still be sporting or ethical or fair chase ? I swear I don't know why some of you don't just hunt at night with a spot light or night vision optics or just shoot your "trophies" inside a high fence. At some point in the future, the technology to kill from as far as you can see may be possible. Are you still going to consider that sporting and ethical and fair chase ?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
BH, my last word on the matter to you is simply GFY.

You have no clue.

MM
I have every fuggin clue buckwheat. We have open country and opportunities for long shooting here if that's what you want to do. I simply choose not to hunt that way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Again, you ain't supposed to be able to kill every animal you see. See my post above. Do you people have any limits on sportsmanship at all ? If shooting animals from 5 miles away were possible, would that still be sporting or ethical or fair chase ? I swear I don't know why some of you don't just hunt at night with a spot light or night vision optics or just shoot your "trophies" inside a high fence.

Much of the challenge of mountain hunting is the physical challenge. Just getting to where the animals are will have most people sucking wind. When you kill an animal, you don't go back, get the 4 wheeler and load it up. When I lived in Kodiak, I pretty much knew when I set out to hunt the mountains that I was going to bag a nice blacktail. All I had to do was put in the work to get to where they were. Then I got to enjoy the work of packing the animal out. Should I have passed on the opportunity because I pretty well knew I was going to kill one?

Hell, if you have killed 200+ animals, doing what you do can't be that much of a challenge. What's that, four deer per year for each year of your adult life? Sounds really difficult.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
W

Again, you ain't supposed to be able to kill every animal you see. See my post above. Do you people have any limits on sportsmanship at all ? If shooting animals from 5 miles away were possible, would that still be sporting or ethical or fair chase ? I swear I don't know why some of you don't just hunt at night with a spot light or night vision optics or just shoot your "trophies" inside a high fence.

Much of the challenge of mountain hunting is the physical challenge. Just getting to where the animals are will have most people sucking wind. When you kill an animal, you don't go back, get the 4 wheeler and load it up. When I lived in Kodiak, I pretty much knew when I set out to hunt the mountains that I was going to bag a nice blacktail. All I had to do was put in the work to get to where they were. Then I got to enjoy the work of packing the animal out. Should I have passed on the opportunity because I pretty well knew I was going to kill one?

Hell, if you have killed 200+ animals, doing what you do can't be that much of a challenge. What's that, four deer per year for each year of your adult life? Sounds really difficult.
Well, considering our hunter success rate on bucks runs roughly 15% statewide, which is far less than many states, I doubt it's that easy comparatively. Of course that success rate includes public and private land and areas of widely differing deer density and hunting pressure. Since I've filled my buck tags every year except for two when I didn't get to hunt, and mostly on public land, I'd say I've done alright. Oh yeah and ATV's aren't legal on public land here. You kill it, you're bringing it out on shanks mare. I might have brought out 5 or 6 via ATV in my whole life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W

Well, considering our hunter success rate on bucks runs roughly 15% statewide, which is far less than many states, I doubt it's that easy comparatively. Of course that success rate includes public and private land and areas of widely differing deer density and hunting pressure. Since I've filled my buck tags every year except for two when I didn't get to hunt, and mostly on public land, I'd say I've done alright. Oh yeah and ATV's aren't legal on public land here. You kill it, you're bringing it out on shanks mare. I might have brought out 5 or 6 via ATV in my whole life.

Now you have really made it sound like you need to add a new layer of difficulty to your hunts to make them more sporting. Maybe you could cover yourself in cougar piss and wear bells on your boots. If you are filling every tag every year, what you are doing isn't difficult. If I had the money, I'd pay to send you out west to hunt with Burns. I'd get a kick out of watching you suck wind and quit climbing.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good gawd another perfectly good thread shot to chit. LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

He's a legend in his own mind...................just sayin'.

Maybe even a narcissist too, to boot. Maybe rivals Daniel Boone.

MM

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Relatively par for the course on this optics forum... I mean Leupold tactical in the military has a pile to do with hunting in the Adirondacks and how boring it is to hunt animals grin

Right????

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Northern Maine, Northern New York, Vermont and New Hampshire are known for being some of the most challenging whitetail hunting in the Country, yet there are people who fill their tags year after year.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Relatively par for the course on this optics forum... I mean Leupold tactical in the military has a pile to do with hunting in the Adirondacks and how boring it is to hunt animals grin

Right????
It's about what constitutes sporting, ethical and fair chase, what if anything doesn't and where you draw the line dummy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Right????

Let's get back on track.

Marines getting it done with Leupold.

grin[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Btw my new batch of layin hens are doin stellar!! 😂😂
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Right????
It's about what constitutes sporting, ethical and fair chase, what if anything doesn't and where you draw the line dummy.

You don't get to draw another persons line. Draw your own.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Right????

Let's get back on track.

Marines getting it done with Leupold.

grin[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Great picture.. Heard those Marines were probably ok with a long gun... whistle

Kinda surprised they didn't break them though... Nothing to do with Leupold per se, but we've tended to break ball bearings.

Originally Posted by Judman
Btw my new batch of layin hens are doin stellar!! 😂😂
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hell yeah... Great add on J Man! grin

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Right????

I guess when you start killing some elk, bear, deer, lions, at your predetermined ranges that you deem sporting than we can concede your point, but I am pretty sure we're completely safe.

The dummy part was pretty good, that really drove the point home..

Last edited by beretzs; 09/17/20.

Semper Fi
Page 28 of 40 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 257Bob, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,867 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,311
Posts18,487,258
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.