M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cumbaya grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's all relative I guess. I've crossed paths with some folks (even in the open west) who adamantly believe that all rifle hunting should be banned, because even a 100 yard shot is unsporting. Blackheart would not be a true hunter to those people.

You know what people say about opinions and all...

Call it shooting instead of hunting if you'd like, Blackheart. That's fine. In 2017 I took an elk at 558 yards and a deer at less than 20. I learned something from each experience and enjoyed both of the "hunts".

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Good gawd another perfectly good thread shot to chit. LOL

Relatively par for the course on this optics forum... I mean Leupold tactical in the military has a pile to do with hunting in the Adirondacks and how boring it is to hunt animals grin

Right????
It's about what constitutes sporting, ethical and fair chase, what if anything doesn't and where you draw the line dummy.

You don't get to draw another persons line. Draw your own.
Funny, hunters draw the line for other hunters all the time, hence the reason things like spot lights, baiting and aircraft are illegal in many if not most areas. When you can sit there having a conversation with your buddies in a normal voice, have to yell for the deer to even hear you and even then it isn't sure what it heard or where it came from and doesn't spook, you are too far away for that animal to have a sporting chance of identifying danger and making an escape for it to constitute sporting and fair chase. Just watch Burns video. It's all there.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Relatively par for the course on this optics forum... I mean Leupold tactical in the military has a pile to do with hunting in the Adirondacks and how boring it is to hunt animals grin

Right????
It's about what constitutes sporting, ethical and fair chase, what if anything doesn't and where you draw the line dummy.

Funny, hunters draw the line for other hunters all the time, hence the reason things like spot lights, baiting and aircraft are illegal in many if not most areas. When you can sit there having a conversation with your buddies in a normal voice, have to yell for the deer to even hear you and even then it isn't sure what it heard or where it came from and doesn't spook, you are too far away for that animal to have a sporting chance of identifying danger and making an escape for it to constitute sporting and fair chase. Just watch Burns video. It's all there.

Just for grins, what is the distance it becomes sporting?

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifles, muzzle loaders, slug guns, scopes, archery, chasing them down with dogs..... you boys are wimps, and wasting good $$ on unnecessary equipment!

Oatmeal cookie in one hand, and a ball-peen hammer in the other. Look 'em square in the eye before bashing its brains in..... now that's "hunting" up close and personal. wink

IC B2

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Burns, which is better on average at tracking and zero retention, Leupold or Nightforce?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
It's all relative I guess. I've crossed paths with some folks (even in the open west) who adamantly believe that all rifle hunting should be banned, because even a 100 yard shot is unsporting. Blackheart would not be a true hunter to those people.

You know what people say about opinions and all...

Call it shooting instead of hunting if you'd like, Blackheart. That's fine. In 2017 I took an elk at 558 yards and a deer at less than 20. I learned something from each experience and enjoyed both of the "hunts".
The vast majority of my deer have been taken at less than 50 yards and many under 20 with rifle, muzzleloader, bow, shotgun and handgun.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Rifles, muzzle loaders, slug guns, scopes, archery, chasing them down with dogs..... you boys are wimps, and wasting good $$ on unnecessary equipment!

Oatmeal cookie in one hand, and a ball-peen hammer in the other. Look 'em square in the eye before bashing its brains in..... now that's "hunting" up close and personal. wink
Dogs are illegal here. Another example of hunters placing restrictions on other hunters and themselves as to what constitutes fair chase.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Right????

Doing away with rangefinders would go a long way toward giving game a sporting chance. Folks filled tags without them for a long time but probably not many at distances where the animal had little to no chance of detecting danger and making an escape.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The only thing I can add to this thread to make it any better !

Last edited by jimy; 09/17/20.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Right????

Doing away with rangefinders would go a long way toward giving game a sporting chance. Folks filled tags without them for a long time but probably not many at distances where the animal had little to no chance chance of detecting danger and making an escape.

I meant at what distance is it sporting to kill animals while giving them the chance to escape?

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Blackheart shall be called "Brains"

The "Shat For" is silent on the front

Last edited by BobBrown; 09/17/20.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hot off the presses.

Leupold MK5 delivers yet once again.

First elk with Wyoming Arms 4 Squared suppressor, thanks Brad Dana.

420 yds and might break 400 inches.

Brad Dana.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by JohnBurns; 09/17/20.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Right????

Doing away with rangefinders would go a long way toward giving game a sporting chance. Folks filled tags without them for a long time but probably not many at distances where the animal had little to no chance chance of detecting danger and making an escape.

I meant at what distance is it sporting to kill animals while giving them the chance to escape?
That's what I'm asking all of you. As for me, as I said before, if you can stand there having a conversation with your buddies in full voice and have to yell just for the deer to even hear you, and even then it can't identify what it heard or where it came from, it's too far for it to have a reasonable chance at detecting danger and making an escape.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hog, beeg hog.

MM

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Burns, which is better on average at tracking and zero retention, Leupold or Nightforce?

I don't have a dog in this fight but in order to answer that question wouldn't one have to know the total number of scopes built by Leupold and Nightforce? That is a number that I doubt that either company would give out as public info.
Then of course you would have to weed out the ones that where the failure was caused by accidental damage rather than a scope design or manufacture fault. It seems to me that you are asking a question that is impossible to answer.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by drover

I don't have a dog in this fight but in order to answer that question wouldn't one have to know the total number of scopes built by Leupold and Nightforce? That is a number that I doubt that either company would give out as public info.
Then of course you would have to weed out the ones that where the failure was caused by accidental damage rather than a scope design or manufacture fault. It seems to me that you are asking a question that is impossible to answer.

drover

No, but thats how I expect Burns to answer, if he will even touch it.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Right????

Doing away with rangefinders would go a long way toward giving game a sporting chance. Folks filled tags without them for a long time but probably not many at distances where the animal had little to no chance of detecting danger and making an escape.

I think doing away with rangefinders would cause a LOT more wounded critters, even more than there already are from folks shooting at distances they shouldn't shoot from, with or without rangefinders. These are the same people that shouldn't be shooting deer at 50 yards, let alone 500.

Last edited by T_Inman; 09/17/20. Reason: Clarified

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
No doubt you still couldn’t get laid.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
Other than what the women do, of course.

Wrong, again.
Loser.

All the bitches love me, because I am respectful to them.

Page 29 of 40 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,709
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.