Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Fotis
You get to play the Kimber accuracy roulette!

No thank you.

The Kimber’s are fine rifles.

Last edited by tzone; 09/21/20.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Can you go used? Although that might not be much help right now.

The Axis is pretty rough. I’ll fitting, 78 pound trigger, not smooth...Ruger American? Kinda somewhere in the middle of the two.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Consider buying a used rifle.

On an almost daily basis I see members here mention rifles they couldn't get to shoot so they "sent them down the road"

Some people just don’t know how to shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
If you're looking for a 280AI and you don't handload I think you're really limiting your options for rifles and ammo.
Have you considered a 270 or 30-06 Tikka?

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Handle them both, it will become apparent which you prefer.

Never owned a Kimber that wouldn’t shoot. Also never shot one that did not go through a preflight check.
YMMV.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
If you're looking for a 280AI and you don't handload I think you're really limiting your options for rifles and ammo.
Have you considered a 270 or 30-06 Tikka?

For $750 I would pick the Tikka over the Kimber every time.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pick the rifle, not the cartridge. A .30-06 or .270 or 7mm mag. will kill stuff just as dead as a .280AI. There are plenty of rifles to choose from in those chamberings that fall between those two price points.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
TC COMPASS 2, 7mm Remington, $234 after rebate.

Nope, nevermind, sold out again at kyguns.

Get a 270, geeze.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
I suggest changing the cartridge choice to 30-06. That will broaden the choice of rifles, new or used.

B-I-N-G-O

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by efw

Kimber has a reputation for being finicky in terms of accuracy. They seem to have issues more often than average based on my readings across many forums. That's why they earned the nickname Kimber Roulette. Customers on average don't report positive customer service experiences.

Light rifles are tough to shoot.

Truth. 5lb rifles are harder to shoot well then heavier rifles. I think the Kimber roulette meme is a hold over from some QC issues they had years ago combined with the difficultly of benching an ultralight rifle. Most of the threads and posts I see on the Hunters today are positive, I wouldn't be scared at all to pick one up.

I've been plenty happy with my Montana, I actually have a Hunter stock and didn't see any accuracy difference between my bedded Montana stock and my Hunter stock.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

A decent chambering and 14oz of suppressor hanging off the end help, but I'm not afraid to play Kimber roulette again, especially if the alternative is a Salvage Axis.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 09/21/20.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Axis II vs Hunter doesn't comer up often. Bump

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
...self respect? Lol

The savage will shoot. The kimber will be handed down to grandkids.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
Consider buying a used rifle.

On an almost daily basis I see members here mention rifles they couldn't get to shoot so they "sent them down the road"

I saw WAY more used rifles on shelves today than I expected. I guess it's the big inventory right before hunting season... but most of them either looked essentially new (and were priced at close to original retail) or, to Paul's point, looked like someone dumped them for a reason. Unless you really know what you're looking for/at or you're specifically interested in a "project," I'd be leery of buying a used rifle.

I've had exactly two used rifles I sent back down the road. The first was a Remington M700 BDL .308 Win that shot bughole groups. It got sold to fund my first AR, which came with two uppers - .223/5.56 and .300 BLK. The other was a Ruger American .30-06 Dad gave me before he passed away. I tried 7 or 8 different types of factory ammo in it and couldn't find one that shot as well as I'd like. Did not bother with handloads as I already had multiple .30-06 rifles. This one helped fund another rifle as well. Nothing really wrong with it other than I couldn't get sub-MOA groups with factory ammo and I didn't have the time or desire to fool with it. Or space in the safes.

Right now I have 5 bolt rifles in my safe that were acquired used - ..223 Rem, 243 Win, .257 Roberts, .30-06 and a .338WM that was assembled from used factory parts (action, stock and barrel) from different sources. All shoot great. Bought a used lefty Remington M700 BDL in .270 Win for Daughter #1 and it shoots very well too - 4-shots @ 0.7" and 3-shots @ 0.3" at 100 yards last time I checked it, per my load notes.

While I understand the concern, I haven't had a bad used rifle yet.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
What does the extra $350 get me?

All of the budget rifles shoot better than they should for the cost. But I consider them disposable rifles. You use them until something breaks and then buy another. And I don't really mean that in a negative way. I have some and they shoot pretty well. But those aren't the guns I will be proud to see one of my grandkids own someday.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
280AI for a non-loader? Silly.

--- Kid Rock 2022

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My stainless T3 in 7mm Rem Mag is an elk killing machine. 24” barrel, light, accurate, easy on the shoulder with a Limbsaver.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Scoop up an old stock or slightly used Tikka T3 off gunbroker and don't look back

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
Scoop up an old stock or slightly used Tikka T3 off gunbroker and don't look back

For that price point, this is exactly how I would proceed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Elk wouldn’t like this.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/873072459
Get load info from pharm.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Consider buying a used rifle. Most hunting rifles never see enough rounds to worry about the barrel being shot out, but you do need to inspect for rust, etc. You can often get a better quality rifle for the cost of the "value" rifle offerings with flimsy synthetic stocks and general lack of refinement.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

I'm not a fan of the "BIC" rifles but would buy and tote any one of them before I spent money on a Kimber.

I agree about looking for a used rifle. I found this one for $500.00 locally. I pulled the Leupold off and sold it on ebay. Now I have $175.00 in the rifle:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thats one thing you will never be able to do if you buy a damn Savage Axis. You will never be able to sell it and re-coup your money. Used is often times the best way to buy...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (1Longbow, 22250rem, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 160user, 257 mag, 41 invisible), 2,177 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,504
Posts18,472,239
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.