Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you ever get a chance, they have some great exhibits at “Frontier Texas” in Abilene. The Comanche shield with the three different colored braids is really cool to see. It’s a little hokey, but still worth the visit. The Panhandle-Plains Museum in Canyon is top of the line and must see for folks interested in this part of the world.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just a side note, a guy dug a Plainview today near Austin that may be one of the largest ever found. It’s supposed to be almost 7” long. If I can figure out how to link the video, I’ll put it on here.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That is a beautiful point! 8,000 years old and 7 inches long.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jlboykin
If you ever get a chance, they have some great exhibits at “Frontier Texas” in Abilene. The Comanche shield with the three different colored braids is really cool to see. It’s a little hokey, but still worth the visit. The Panhandle-Plains Museum in Canyon is top of the line and must see for folks interested in this part of the world.

Yep. Frontier Texas is a great place to visit. The Holographic “guides” are a little hokey, but the artifacts and gun exhibits are first class. It’s all about the trail of TX Frontier Forts established in the 1850’s to protect the early pioneers from the Comanches. The Buffalo herd experience in the surround theatre is awesome. Nice little Bookstore inside too.
Best of all, it’s free.

Also, Ft Chadbourn, 50 miles S of Abilene on Hwy 277 is one of the best of the old restored TX Forts to visit. It has one of the largest collections of arrowheads and guns in the State.
It is privately owned, but still State funded, and still free to visit. It’s been featured on Fox Business News “Strange Inheritance “ TV Show, and a couple of other TV documentary’s.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/24/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Just a side note, a guy dug a Plainview today near Austin that may be one of the largest ever found. It’s supposed to be almost 7” long. If I can figure out how to link the video, I’ll put it on here.

Do you know if this was found at one of those pay to dig places?

Edit

Just checked with archaeologist son. He had already heard about it. Yeah thats from the Tolbert site. Pay to dig site about 4 miles north of me here.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/24/20.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Do you know if this was found at one of those pay to dig places?

Edit

Just checked with archaeologist son. He had already heard about it. Yeah thats from the Tolbert site. Pay to dig site about 4 miles north of me here.

Didn’t know if that was still legal or not.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yeah Neal as long as it’s your property.

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Yeah Neal as long as it’s your property.

Good to know! 😬

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Human remans can get dicey

Founder

WS

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My brother and I hunt a site about a mile from where they found the midland woman. He found a Clovis on one of the days I didn’t go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does anyone have a paperback copy of The life and times of Billy Dixon and the Adobe Walls they would like to sell?
Thanks,
Ed

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Amazon has the paperback edition for 7 bucks or so, Ed. I had it downloaded on my kindle for a dollar

Life and adventures of Billy Dixon - Adobe Walls

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got it!
Thank you!
Have a great weekend,
Ed

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Another thing about the Walker...many state that it was very accurate and could hit at great distances. They were also about as powerful as some of the rifles of the era...certainly not as powerful as all of them, but...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

RIP Ford states in his memoirs re: the Mexican War that the Walker Colt was comparable in power to a rifle, and later on in those same collected memoirs puts the revolver and bow on a parity. Certainly the 1851 Navy Colt was ubiquitous in Texas by 1858 according to Olmstead, and in 1860 (??) their ‘51 Navys certainly did save the lives of John Bell Hood’s 2nd US Cavalry patrol when ambushed at close quarters by Comanches on foot.

Problem is though with respect to Plains Indian warfare is finding altercations where revolvers made much of a difference in the overall scheme of things. Certainly there was no discernible Comanche death toll after the revolver appeared.

In 1860 there were 600,000 people in Texas, which would mean about 120,000 men of combat age, many of whom had revolvers and horses. If we estimate at least 60,000 mounted Texans with revolvers in 1860, almost none of these ever rode out against Comanches.

RIP Ford, the preeminent Indian fighter of his generation used rifles, including a lot of .54 cal round ball Mississippi’s in his battles with Comanches, if only because their revolvers were persistently “unserviceable”.

It’s been a while since I read Walter Prescott Webb but IIRC in his book The Texas Rangers includes but one or two episodes against Indians simply because after the Civil War Rangers didn’t chase Indians much. IIRC the Winchester rifles of the Rangers were the primary weapons used.

The Texas Frontier Battalion along with elements of Confederate Cavalry did go out against Comanches in 1864, decided to attack a camp of Kickapoos instead, and got their a$$es handed to them at Dove Creek by those expert Kickapoo riflemen.

Probably who was cutting the widest swathe in Comanche, Kiowa and Apache raiders in the 1850’s were the Seminoles and Black Seminoles based at El Remolino south of Piedras Negras on the Rio Grande, interdicting Indian raids in return for sanctuary in Mexico. Again primarily armed with rifles.

And of course the greatest slaughter ever of Comanches, an estimated 180 dead at the hands of 100 Texians and a handful of Lipan Apache Scouts occurred in the winter of 1840 on the North Fork of the Colorado under the command of Ranger Captain John Moore. After his disastrous foray on the San Saba the previous year Moore listened to his Lipan scouts this time and surprised the sleeping camp. Except for one revolving carbine and presumably a brace of Paterson’s in the hands of Moore, that historic slaughter was accomplished with muzzlloadig rifles, prob’ly ay least half flintlocks.

Of course all firearms pale into insignificance relative to the greatest Comanche killer of them all: cholera. Seeded across the Plains likely from San Antonio by emigrants in the Gold Rush of ‘49, killed an estimated 10,000 Comanches, half the tribe, in the winter of ‘49/‘50.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Thanks, Birdy. Sometime please give us the story of Jim Bowie and his marriage to the chiefs daughter and his stealing of their gold, or was it silver, and his flight to the Blockhouse on Calf Creek.

Also, did the indians chase him to the Alamo where we know he died.

Also, how about sometimes giving us the lowdown on the Battle of Calf Creek?

Not my lowdown, but an actual account with a ring of truth to it, and no piles of dead Indians either.

According to this author It began with piracy......

http://www.texasescapes.com/CFEckhardt/Jim-Bowies-Fight-at-Calf-Creek.htm

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Thanks, Birdy. Sometime please give us the story of Jim Bowie and his marriage to the chiefs daughter and his stealing of their gold, or was it silver, and his flight to the Blockhouse on Calf Creek.

Also, did the indians chase him to the Alamo where we know he died.

Also, how about sometimes giving us the lowdown on the Battle of Calf Creek?

Not my lowdown, but an actual account with a ring of truth to it, and no piles of dead Indians either.

According to this author It began with piracy......

http://www.texasescapes.com/CFEckhardt/Jim-Bowies-Fight-at-Calf-Creek.htm

Interesting!!! Thanks Mike.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
CF Eckhardt, 1940 - 2015..... RIP

Never head of him before I googled up the Calf Creek account... wrote some excellent pieces on Texas History.

Here’s another:

Rangers Creek of Gold

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Links upon links, from that same Texas Escapes compilation a column by one Murray Montgomery re the Texas Cattleman George West, who has a town of that name (George West TX) still named after him.

Lots of towns named after people, not too many with first names included tho.

Of special significance tho, in 1870 George West had a government contract to deliver 14,000 head of South Texas cattle to Montana (sounds familiar 🙂)

http://www.texasescapes.com/MurrayMontgomeryLoneStarDiary/George-West-Cattleman-n-Town-Founder.htm

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Great. Thanks, Birdy. So, that silver may still be on my friend's Blockhouse ranch. Humm. Lots of hard rock ground in that country except in the San Saba bottom. If its not buried in the bottom, they would have had to do a lot of pickax work.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (1lesfox, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 34 invisible), 1,966 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,659
Posts18,512,792
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.