Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The founders also never considered that congress would establish a pension plan so they can stay there without working at real jobs. Professional lobbying is something else that we really don't need.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Wouldn’t hurt to put a clear definition of “fit for service “ attached to the job.

Yes but then must declare before hand who will make that determination or you are right back at square one. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The founders also never considered that congress would establish a pension plan so they can stay there without working at real jobs. Professional lobbying is something else that we really don't need.

Last I read a while back is 500 in Congress and 35,000 registered lobbyists in Washington DC.

Now, besides Soros, who really sets the direction of our Country?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by northcountry
Wouldn’t hurt to put a clear definition of “fit for service “ attached to the job.

Yes but then must declare before hand who will make that determination or you are right back at square one. Cheers NC

I just tried to address that question from Brother JakeBlues.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by dassa
Term limits won't fix anything. The problem lies in the unelected alphabet agencies.

And PACs and lobbyists.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by BLG
8 years total for the house and the senate. No where in America can you fail at your job for this long and still be employed.

Clyde

Problem with term limits is that you can have wild swings in power both ways.

If term limits were in place in 2008, Obama might have had 65 Senators and a 100 seat advantage in the House with all of the anti Bush sentiment.

george "magog" bush was a liberal who is in love with mr michelle obama and voted for hillary. bill clinton was 100 times more conservative then the drunken coke head bush

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari
Problem with term limits is that you can have wild swings in power both ways.

If term limits were in place in 2008, Obama might have had 65 Senators and a 100 seat advantage in the House with all of the anti Bush sentiment.

I just had a chance to read the story. It's a typical Democrat tactic of trying to subvert the United States Constitution.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

HEAR ! HEAR !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jwall

HEAR ! HEAR !

My concern is for the Cognizant aspect, e.g.. Drugs required for treatment, pain medications for terminal cancer, etc.

Think,,, RBG. There are a myriad of tests to prove mental competency.

The Physical side of the equation:
Someone wheelchair bound like, say, Texas Governor Abbot would cause me no concern, per se.

R
R
There are ways to make it so every president gets to appoint a justice. Rapid swings in the court are socially destabilizing, so probably moving in that direction is wise.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Runhunt
There are ways to make it so every president gets to appoint a justice. Rapid swings in the court are socially destabilizing, so probably moving in that direction is wise.

One more nomination and placement by Trump will eliminate swings for quite a while.

Jmo

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

So you advocate changing or subverting the Constitution?

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
TCK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I would be much more in favor for
" no exemption for congress and lifetime appointed persons of laws and regulations that are imposed on citizens "
If it is good enough for citizens it should be good enough for everyone.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dassa
Term limits won't fix anything. The problem lies in the unelected alphabet agencies.

And PACs and lobbyists.

Guessing you think 'We the People" are worse off after the Citizens United ruling then?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
R
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Not at all. Term limits are within the scope of the constitution. If we make the limit 17 years (or something like that) it would most likely play out that every president would get a shot at appointing somebody. It’s been studied out. Not sure why we went to be hollering for people to die just because we don’t like their politics.

Last edited by Runhunt; 09/25/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Do you mean like during our Revolution? We are very close to the same unbridgeable world views in our nation.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by 007FJ
He will get 5. The next oldest is a liberal male and I think Clarence would retire before the end of the next 4.

after the election and Trump wins, which they'll have to cheat like hell to beat, and the senate stays Repub. They need to get Thomas to retire and put a 40 year old ultra conservative constitutionalist in his place.

Can they find one who is black?

Hershel Walker 😃

Well, he's very accomplished. Does he have a law degree?

I don't believe that's a requirement.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by 007FJ
He will get 5. The next oldest is a liberal male and I think Clarence would retire before the end of the next 4.

after the election and Trump wins, which they'll have to cheat like hell to beat, and the senate stays Repub. They need to get Thomas to retire and put a 40 year old ultra conservative constitutionalist in his place.

Can they find one who is black?

Hershel Walker 😃

Well, he's very accomplished. Does he have a law degree?

I don't believe that's a requirement.

It may not be.

I may not be happy with the results if I let a lawyer who has never seen the underside of a car hood work on my vehicle though.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by montanabadger
How about term limits for congress
The only way that can happen is a constitutional convention. It takes a 2/3 vote of both houses to pass an amendment and there's no way they'd vote to limit themselves.

Part (1)

Then it must be ratified by 3/4 of the states.

But I don’t think term limits for members of Congress requires a Constitutional Amendment.

SC yes, Congress not sure.

Actually, I think it would require an amendment. I think it was Arkansas that passed a state law limiting congress critters terms. The SC struck it down as the states have no jurisdiction over federal offices.

An amendment requires EITHER a convention of the states, then ratification by the states, OR passage by 2/3 of both chambers, then ratification by the states.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Not at all. Term limits are within the scope of the constitution. If we make the limit 17 years (or something like that) it would most likely play out that every president would get a shot at appointing somebody. It’s been studied out. Not sure why we went to be hollering for people to die just because we don’t like their politics.

By putting Term limits on a SC judge you are either changing, subverting, or ignoring Article 3 of the Constitution, it really is that simple.

Section 1 of Article 3 States,

"The judicial power of the United States, shall be vested in one Supreme Court, and in such inferior courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The judges, both of the supreme and inferior courts, shall hold their offices during good behaviour, and shall, at stated times, receive for their services, a compensation, which shall not be diminished during their continuance in office."

The life term was meant to take away all bias of the court, it provides for no pressure on a judge to be re-elected or lose their jobs due to a particular decision.

A SC judge may be removed by impeachment if they are not doing their job, making unconstitutional decisions, bla, bla, bal, ect.

Our forefathers were smart individuals with balls that put their lives and the lives of their families on the line to create a Country of the likes the world has never seen and they succeeded remarkably well. Don't be so arrogant to think you know more than what they did.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 16gage, 160user, 16penny, 49 invisible), 2,853 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,421
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.